About BNP Paribas
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 74 countries, with more than 192,000 employees, including more than 146,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
Inspection Générale Hub UK is part of BNP Paribas’ global Internal Audit group (Inspection Générale or “IG”) which is staffed by highly qualified individuals who perform risk-based reviews to provide reasonable assurance to senior management on the adequacy of internal controls and recommend control and efficiency improvements.
The Global Markets & ALMT Activities Audit team is responsible for the audit coverage of Global Markets, ALMT, Global Markets/ALMT Operations, and Risk Global Markets. Specific market activities areas of coverage include Trading, Origination, Distribution, Sales, Order Management and Trade Execution, Risk Management, and Operations across various products including Equity/Fixed Income and Derivatives/Futures.
Internal Audit is seeking a candidate for a Deputy Head of Hub’s position that will manage and lead the Global Markets & ALMT Activities Audit team and will report to the Head of the Hub UK. As part of a global matrix organization, this person is also working closely with the IG Market and Models Audit Line.
Candidate Success Factors
Candidates will be measured on the following four performance drivers which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the UK platform:
- Results and Impact
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
Lead and manage of a team of about 20 auditors, responsible for performing Global Markets & ALMT Activities audit assignments, validation of audit recommendations, continuous monitoring, and audit unit risk assessments. The Head of Audit for Global Markets & ALMT Activities will play a key role in providing reasonable assurance to stakeholders of internal audit activity on Market Activities audits, including Conduct Risk audits applicable to Designated Market Activities.
Proven and management and leadership experience is essential. The ideal candidate is a Market Activities specialist, knowledgeable of the specificities of an audit program tailored to Capital Markets Activities; with the skill set to establish and run such a program, along with prior experience in the audit of capital markets and conduct risks. The program is established in liaison with Group IG; it leverages on the IG existing policies, takes into account industry relevant best practices, and is designed to meet both IIA standards and regulatory expectations.
A strong background in market activities auditing, conduct risk management, compliance risk management, or consulting for Financial Services is a key requirement for this position. Moreover, Front Office responsibilities in a previous experience is a valued asset for this position.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Manage and oversee timely audit assignments that adhere to IG’s Conduct Audit Methodology (including Audit Guides and Risk & Control Matrices for Capital Markets activities), Central IG’s Global Audit Guidelines (How To), IIA Standards, and IG Policies and Procedures.
- Provide leadership in the execution of the Audit Plan and related audit activities, including the assessment of key regulatory requirements and auditing specific compliance with key regulations when required.
- Contribute actively to the Markets and Models Audit Line global audit practices.
- Review and approve audit related documentation, including Work Program Memos, audit work papers, and audit reports.
- Promote the use of analytical skills to analyze activities & processes using BNPP Audit Methodology & Tools.
- Take ownership of the quality and reliability of the audit reports, findings and deliverables.
- Add value to the Business by raising relevant recommendations.
- Establish a strong relationship with the Global Markets & ALMT organizations and be the Internal Audit first point of contact.
- Oversee audit recommendations related validations, including review and approval of validation documentation.
- Manage continuous monitoring activities and adjust the Audit Plan where required.
- Develop the audit staff by directing, training, mentoring, and evaluating team members and recruit talent when required.
- Evaluate new and emerging regulatory requirements and incorporate audit coverage where required.
- Develop effective policies and procedures and inserts heightened expectations in a timely manner.
- Deliver clear presentations to Senior Management and Internal Audit Management.
- Communicate effectively with Bank’s stakeholders, audit committee (when this applies) and regulatory agencies.
- Participate in various governance committees and forums as assigned.
- Adopt and promote strong ethical values.
Year One Critical Success Factors:
- Successfully build credibility through internal partnerships and deliver tangible value in the various areas of responsibility.
- Manage the team, set priorities, and create policies and procedures as deemed necessary.
- Significant experience with Global Markets activities audit and/or risk experience in the Banking industry
- Proven people management experience, including demonstrable experience successfully leading a team of at least 10 professionals at differing levels of seniority.
- Sound foundation in risk based audit approach and strong all round audit skills are required.
- Strong understanding of the relevant risks and controls in market activities areas such as Trading, Origination, Distribution, Sales, Order Management and Trade Execution, Risk Management, and Operations.
- Strong understanding of conduct risk management concepts and related regulatory expectations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact effectively with the different stakeholders and regulators.
- Ability to lead a team, liaise with other bank departments, and adapt to new situations.
- Bachelor's degree in applicable and related field (Accounting and/or Finance preferred).
- Master’s degree.
- Relevant licenses and certifications.
- Direct auditing experience in one or more of the following areas: Capital Markets, Equity/Fixed Income, Sales and Trading, Derivatives/Futures.
- Knowledge of key banking regulations.
- Experience is Banking Risk Management improvement or remediation projects.