Head of Legal
Head of Legal
Full Time, Permanent
Solihull B91 2AA or Belfast BT1 6HT
The Legal team at BNP Paribas Personal Finance are currently recruiting for a new key member of the Senior Management Team, who will influence key stakeholders and their teams across the UK business supporting business and product development.
This opportunity would suit a Senior Legal professional looking for their next step into a fast-paced ever changing environment.
BNP Paribas Personal Finance is committed to creating responsible consumer finance solutions that customers trust and help our partners grow. With the backing of a global bank we’ve exciting growth ambitions to double the size of the business by 2020 you’ll be joining a dynamic business which provides people with opportunities to make it happen in a high energy environment.
Within our Legal department you will be welcomed into a team of 6 colleagues who support the business at different levels. This position is a new role for us, you’ll report into our Director of Legal and become a key team player for the business and our future strategy.
You’ll be responsible for the development and implementation of the legal and regulatory strategy and policy to ensure that the UK business addresses all laws, regulations and codes governing our activities.
Your Key Responsibilities will include:
• Provide legal & regulatory policy support during commercial negotiations with partners and third party suppliers.
• Ensure that new and revised legislation, regulations and industry codes are analysed and interpreted for our business, and that our policies and procedures are then amended to reflect those new or amended laws, regulations and industry codes.
• Monitor changes in the UK and Irish legal and regulatory sectors, communicating relevant changes to our Senior Management Team to ensure the business adapts accordingly
• Interpret the law, regulatory rules & guidance and provide advice on developing and maintaining appropriate procedures and processes to protect the PF UK business.
• Contribute to and influence the direction of business projects to ensure that legal and regulatory policy risks are identified and addressed.
• Contribute towards the coaching, mentoring and development of other team members
• Facilitate, manage and implement organisational / cultural changes and business transformation, understanding the transformation impact and developing tools to support the change.
• Design, organise, facilitate and manages meetings, committees and workshops.
• Development and production of formal legal and regulatory related documentation (e.g. customer agreements, legal opinions, policy documents, procedures, business communications etc.).
• Drafting large commercial contracts with third parties and / or suppliers.
To be successful for this position, you’ll need:
- Experience within Financial Services in an appropriate Senior Legal position- you’ll need to have practical understanding and working experience of dealing with a statutory regulator (e.g. knowledge of the FCA handbook). Ideally, you’ll have knowledge of the consumer credit or motor finance market.
- Experience within a Management or Senior Management role, where you will have honed your ability to effectively manage stakeholders up to Executive level, and lead a team of colleagues.
- Proven ability to negotiate and draft commercial contracts
- Law Degree & Professional Practice Certificate achieved.
- Clear and timely decision making skills, making those decisions based on judgement after considering all facts, risks, constraints and available options. This includes anticipating and understanding the consequences of the decisions and taking responsibility for the implications of the action taken.
- Demonstrable experience of persuading, influencing, convincing and engaging others to take action while taking into account the legal, regulatory and business requirements
We have two offices- one in Central Belfast and one in Central Solihull, close to public transport links (unfortunately we have no free car parking available) and local amenities. This colleague can be based in either of these offices, and will be required to travel between the 2 sites when the business requires. You’ll also have the flexibility to work from home within this role.
If this role sounds like your ideal next step, please apply now to be considered.
Primary Location: GB-ENG-SolihullJob Type: Standard / PermanentJob: LEGAL AND TAXEducation Level: Other Degrees / Certifications / Vocational, Technical or Professional QualificationsSchedule: Full-time Behavioural competency: Personal Impact / Ability to influenceTransversal competency: Ability to inspire others & generate people's commitment