About BNP Paribas Group:
BNP Paribas is a top-ranking bank in Europe with an international profile. It operates in 71 countries and has almost 190,000 employees. The Group ranks highly in its three core areas of activity: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail banking networks and financial services are grouped together under Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, centred on corporate and institutional clients. The Group helps all of its clients (retail, associations, businesses, SMEs, large corporates and institutional) to implement their projects by providing them with services in financing, investment, savings and protection. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas enjoys leading positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas and has a solid and fast-growing network in the Asia/Pacific region.
About BNP Paribas India Solutions:
Established in 2005, BNP Paribas India Solutions is a wholly owned subsidiary of BNP Paribas SA, a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. With delivery centers located in Bengaluru, Chennai and Mumbai, we are a 24x7 global delivery center. India Solutions services three business lines: Corporate and Institutional Banking, Investment Solutions and Retail Banking for BNP Paribas across the Group. Driving innovation and growth, we are harnessing the potential of over 6000 employees, to provide support and develop best-in-class solutions.
About Businessline/Function :
ISPL FSS is set up as a Shared Service Centre and works on an Extended Plus model, within a defined governance structure. It is a Global hub and delivers services to CIB/BOW Finance teams across the geographies. It is organized by 6 work streams and provides services across 29 countries
The Accounting Control team performs a key role in maintaining the quality of the accounting control environment that underpins the Finance reporting processes: Group Head Office reporting, Statutory reporting, Regulatory reporting and internal Performance Management reporting for the Regional platform.
The objective of the AC Level 2 control team is to provide independent assurance that Level 1 controls (i.e. controls that are performed to ensure the accounting data is complete and accurate) are properly executed and that Group, CIB and local accounting control policies (inc the minimum control standards defined in the Standard Accounting Control Plan) are implemented appropriately. This Level 2 control framework includes periodic detailed testing of the documented controls that underpin the Regional accounting ledger balances and specific testing/review of balances and processes in accordance with the BNP Paribas control policies.
The role will require regular interaction with other Finance teams in Region and Mumbai and other control functions and provides the role holder with a broad view of the activities and processes in the Finance function and other functions on which Finance is dependent.
The Intermediate Holding Company (“IHC”) program structured at the U.S. level across poles of activities of BNP Paribas provides guidance, supports the analysis, impact assessment and drives adjustments of the U.S. platform’s operating model due to the drastic changes introduced by the Enhanced Prudential Standards (“EPS”) for Foreign Banking Organizations (“FBOs”) finalized by the Federal Reserve in February 2014, implementing Section 165 of U.S. Dodd-Frank Act.
The Accounting Control Department is a transversal function within CIB Finance whose primary roles are:
· to develop and implement a strong accounting control framework for CIB Banking and non-Banking entities (such as Broker/Dealers entities),
· to perform 2nd level of controls for controls primary run by other Finance and non-Finance teams, and
· to report on main controls areas, for both local and central needs and requirements.
Head – FSS Controls
Business Line / Function:
Head – Finance Shared Services
Number of Direct Reports:
Directorship / Registration:
Second line of defense lead for Finance covering Group Accounting plan controls, IHC controls & Data controls for Americas. Working in close coordination with Regional teams and Group Finance team.
Accounting Controls – CIB
§ Direct managing a team of ~35 people; setting up the team, responsible for the career and personal development of the team.
§ Managing and ensuring smooth Client relationship
§ Contribute to the performance of 2nd level Accounting control for APAC, EMEA & NAR regions on a list of key areas defined by the BNP Paribas Group. This includes review of the 1st level controls for all major financial and accounting areas, including all banking products’ accounting and reconciliations, Custody reconciliations, Revenue Recognition, Credit and portfolio risk and provisioning, Nostro controls, Manual entries, FX sell-down, intercompany reconciliation etc.
§ Monitoring Account Justification process through Beacon
§ Monitor account and 1st level control sign-off and escalate problems identified.
§ Contribute to the preparation of the “Entity Control Reports” that provides Chief Financial Officers with an overview of accounting control outcome on a monthly basis.
§ Monitor Accounting Control outcomes through key performance and key risk indicators
§ Prepare ad hoc Control memo upon request when an issue is identified.
§ Ensure the good coordination with the Regional Financial Reporting team, in particular whenever an accounting issue needs to be addressed
§ Participate to Finance Projects linked to Accounting Controls
§ Contribute to BNP Paribas Operational permanent control framework.
§ Report incidents and accounting issues.
· Lead a team of ~ 10 staff responsible for developing and maintaining the US regulatory control framework by assisting the US regulatory team to identify and document risks and controls in place or to be implemented by CIB North America functions (i.e. Middle Office, Back Office, Accounting, and functions)
· Conduct TOD & TOE for GMO, Functions, CCAR and Regulatory reporting
· Evaluate the compliance of CIB NA accounting control environment with US regulatory requirements
· Identification of control weaknesses/control gaps and suggestion/implementation of solutions
· Formalize and report the results of the control test to the control governance for local regulatory reporting
· Update knowledge of latest regulatory reporting requirements/developments
· Develop an “control oriented’ culture for regulatory reporting across the organization (Finance and non-Finance)
- Perform risk assessments and define plan for transaction testing (sampling of transactions and mapping through regulatory requirement)
- Evaluate the source documents received from all stakeholders for their acceptability for substantiation
- Analyze source documents for correctness, provide reporting (throughout the process) and ending with a final assessment.
- Carry out tasks necessary to deliver data trace on agreed upon scope of work by coordinating with the relevant IT and non-IT stakeholders either autonomously or as part of an assignment team. This includes, but is not limited to, coordinating data extractions, coordinating process reviews, coordinating requirements reviews with subject matter experts, comparing with sources of authority and other available internal and external baselines
- Perform criticality assessment of findings in view of enabling prioritization of their review and possible remediation actions launch by the relevant team(s)
- Log findings and document assignment report and associated delivery materials
- Monitor resolution of findings for performed reviews
- Maintain knowledge on the assigned regulatory report(s) with regards to changes in requirements, instructions, frequently asked questions, industry approaches and other sources of information on how to practically deliver reports in adherence to regulatory expectations
- Understand the instruction sheet published by US Fed
- Audit regulatory reports to source documents, evaluating data transformations to various source systems and sub-systems
- Have a clear understanding about the type of product he/she is working on.
· Client – VOC, Escalation, Service delivery, BAU, Governance
· New business/transition management
· Cost & Budget
· Continuous improvement & efficiency, automation
· People management & team handling– Hiring, Retaining talent, Attrition, Opportunities (IJP), Growth, Appraisals, Compensation
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
1. Qualified Chartered Accountant
2. Accounting degree or equivalent
3. 15+ years experiences on Accounting, Finance, Audit or Internal controls
4. Former audit experience or experiences on the accounting controls within a Finance function in Banking and Financial Services (mandatory)
5. Knowledge of Banking products – CIB (Investment banking products, Security Services, Corporate Banking) and Retail Banking
6. Good understanding or knowledge of SOX/FDICIA requirements and familiarity with COSO framework
7. Solid understanding of financial instruments and developed skills in analysis of business supporting processes from accounting control perspective
8. IFRS knowledge (Preferable)
9. Strong organizational skills, rigorous, and self-disciplined
10. Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining a strong control environment
11. Good communication skills, (i.e. writing, listening, presentation)
12. Advanced technical skills (i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
13. People management
Specific Qualifications (if required)
Behavioural Skills: (Please select up to 4 skills)
Ability to deliver / Results driven
Communication skills - oral & written
Transversal Skills: (Please select up to 5 skills)
Ability to manage a project
Ability to manage / facilitate a meeting, seminar, committee, training…
Ability to develop and leverage networks
Ability to understand, explain and support change
Master Degree or equivalent
At least 15 years
Other/Specific Qualifications (if required)