At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for triage of referral cases and the daily research into and analysis of irregular accounts and transactions for potential fraudulent activity. Through direct and indirect oversight from the Fraud Prevention Officer within the Corporate Security Department, the position partners with Business Units Operations, Risk Management Operations, Contact Center, Corporate Security Investigations and other key business units across the Bank and outside financial institutions. Keeps detailed records of suspicious activity, performs trend analysis and communicates threats to Management with recommendations. The incumbent has back-end analytics tools and systems to research incidents related to DDA, ACH, wire, online, card, check, etc., and identify business areas requiring increased controls.
Essential Job Functions
- Investigates and determines required action to prevent fraudulent financial transactions to mitigate loss to the Bank and its customers.
- Researches suspect account activity and works with branch personnel, customers, investigations and business partners to validate suspicious activity and prevent losses.
- Prepares reports and enters cases/incidents into the internal case management system.
- Participates in or supports projects related to fraud detection, prevention or root cause analysis as assigned.
- Supports the documentation of event root cause process flows and proposes relevant control or process changes/updates.
- Proactively reviews, monitors, and when needed investigates risk reports, alerts and/or logs to identity suspicious activity and escalate confirmed fraud activity to the appropriate stakeholder(s).
- Communicates with internal and external customers on fraud and security issues, problem resolutions, and account information within time frames prescribed by regulations.
- Delivers employee training and security awareness programs.
Other Job Duties
- Participates in special projects as needed.
- Maintains appropriate level of liaison with internal business partners, Corporate Security Investigations, Legal, and other security professionals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires broad theoretical job knowledge typically obtained through advanced education.
- Requires less than 2 years prior relevant experience.
- Basic understanding of consumer and commercial banking, online banking/mobile banking, loan processing and card services
- Knowledge of back-end systems supporting payment transactions, servicing products and operational procedures
- Good problem solving skills and ability to make swiftly escalate issues to senior staff when needed
- Ability to think out of the box and recommend feasible solutions under the circumstances.
- Exceptional documentation and process management skills Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent inter-personal and partnering skills to facilitate effective working relationships
- Able to adjust to a rapidly changing environment
- Strong analytical, research and attention to details skills
- Able to work independently as part of team
- Able to manage multiple tasks or projects
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Self-directed and results-driven with demonstrated ability to capture and document the needs of the business
- Strong Technical Skills and proficiency in launching applications and maneuvering in a Windows based environment
- Self-starter who proactively seeks learning and development opportunities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.