Financial Crime Investigator
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 17,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 73 markets with more than 196,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career in an international business environment that is fast-paced, diverse and focuses on creating high-value relationships with our clients. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as a working environment where you’re valued as part of the team.
* excluding partnerships
The Financial Crime Investigator is a member of an independent investigation team providing critical support to the BNPP business units across Asia Pacific. Acting within the provisions of existing Group Policies and Procedures that, amongst others, confer to the bank's Inspection Generale/Periodic Control Function the right to initiate investigations on all matters at all times:
• Financial Crime Investigator, as part of the second level of Control, has the responsibility to conduct any assigned internal investigations across the APAC region of a non-regulatory nature. Provides investigation support and assistance to other business partners (e.g. HR) into cases such as sexual harassment; bullying/intimidation; unexplained work absences; use of drugs and alcohol at work (other than alcohol at organized work functions); etc.
• Financial Crime Investigator is required to combine both desktop and field investigation skills in order to investigate/analyze any complex cases.
• Financial Crime Investigator will investigate suspected incidents, such as internal employee wrongdoings, internal employee gross misconduct, Ethics matters, Money Laundering Investigation, and Enhanced Due Diligence under the direction of the Regional Head of Investigations, Asia Pacific.
• Financial Crime Investigator may be required to assist other investigations conducted by Anti-Fraud , OPC, HR, Legal and IT Security (e.g., violations of , employee misconduct, IT Security incidents, asset-tracing and suspicious client transactions); ensuring that the company interests are protected and in adherence with relevant statutory, regulatory and business regulations.
The Financial Crime Investigator is directly responsible for:
• Supporting the Regional Head of Investigations in implementing Investigation Procedures and Guidelines.
• Ensuring that due diligence assignments and investigations into allegations of staff misconduct matters and ethics matters are properly conducted and managed in a professional and consistent manner in close liaison with Compliance, Inspection Generale (IG) and Legal as may be required.
• Guiding and supporting less experienced investigations staff (either part time or full time) in complex investigations.
• Assessing related risks and working with regional in-business partners, such as Anti-Fraud, Compliance, IG, Human Resources and IT Security to implement appropriate controls measures to protect company staff, assets, business operations, and intellectual property.
• Building an effective working relationship with senior management, financial security staff, legal, and other stakeholders who often interface on a regular basis with Regional Head of Investigations on investigation matters.
• Investigation into complex internal and external (i.e. clients, intermediaries, potential clients etc.) cases.
• Ensuring the effective use of existing email analytical tool in the investigation process to uncover evidence from electronically-stored data – including the extraction, processing, searching, filtering, collecting, exporting, and preserving of such data.
• Analyzing and interpreting data, demonstrating sound judgment and independent decision making.
• Working in a professional and consistent manner in close liaison with Compliance, HR, business heads, stakeholders and Legal as may be required.
• Constructing well written reports that highlight issues of concerning, identify control weaknesses and offer solutions.
• Planning and prioritizing his/her own work well and is effective at time management.
• Having good investigative skills, standards and sound knowledge and techniques essential for investigation into financial / white collar crime and Money Laundering activities especially relating to banking and associated business operations.
• Investigating and researching of suppliers, intermediaries, potential clients through public records, commercial databases, media information, in house databases and discreet site visits to assess risks and identify derogatory information (i.e. Criminal records, bankruptcy records etc.) if any on the subjects.
• Interviewing suspects, witnesses and internal employees in a professional manner.
• Assisting Director of Investigations in special projects and training.
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
• At least 10 years' experience in a related and relevant financial crime and/or money laundering/terrorist financing investigative role in an international investment bank with a broad franchise across APAC.
• Experience in a government organized investigative body (e.g. a commercial crime bureau, Criminal Investigation Department, Financial Investigation Unit, anti-corruption authority, tax authority or Law Enforcement Agency) will also be taken into consideration.
• Experience in Due Diligence and Money Laundering, Internal staff misconduct Investigation is an essential.
• Certified Fraud Examiner or membership from other equivalent organizations is a plus.
• Relevant technical background in data analytics and eDiscovery is essential. Sound knowledge in the use of email analytical tool (e.g. Intella).
Specific Qualifications Required
• Attention for detail, and possesses an investigative and questioning nature.
• Demonstrates capacity for sound project management and analytical skills.
• Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and consult at all levels, especially with senior management.
• Committed to confidentiality, integrity and objectivity.
• Ability to work independently on complex investigations and work consistently and constructively under pressure.
• Ideally be computer literate, and experienced in working with case management and investigative tools.
• Able to travel as and when required (sometimes with short notice) across the region.
• Asian language capability, especially Mandarin would be a distinct advantage. Ability to read and write Chinese is essential. Excellent written and spoken English is also essential.