BNP Paribas Overview
BNP Paribas has a presence in 72 countries with more than 200,000 employees, including 154,000 in Europe. It ranks highly in its two core activities: Retail Banking & Services and Corporate & Institutional Banking (CIB).
BNP Paribas Corporate & Institutional Bank is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. With nearly 30,000 employees in over 57 countries, CIB can offer you an exciting and truly global career.
At BNP Paribas CIB, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realise their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asia Pacific offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
Strong risk management, combined with the stability that comes from being part of one of the largest banking groups in the world, underpin our success. Joining us, you’ll become an integral part of a dynamic team that spans nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, drawing together people from around the globe and reflecting our commitment to international placements.
Department purpose / objectives:
Financial Institutions Coverage (FIC) is a global coverage group specializing in the Financial Institutions sector.
FIC aims to build long-term relationships with key clients and gain insight into client strategy and targets to provide original and integrated ideas and solutions.
Purpose of the position:
Drive the global client strategy and senior relationship management of a select group of “priority clients” from the Banking and Insurance sector with the goal of driving sustainable revenue growth and institutionalising relationships
Specific Responsibilities of Role:
• Good knowledge of the FIC investment strategies and evolutions through time (investment criteria, target return, asset allocation, liquidity, eligible products, potential use of derivatives, etc.).
• Understand and monitor detailed and complex organisational structures, decision making processes and identify key people to be involved in the relationship at a local and global level.
• Create solid long term relationships with key decision makers (top management, heads of investment departments, capital market departments, risk management, etc.) in order to improve the visibility and the competitive position of BNP Paribas with these clients.
• Understand the impact of key policies and regulations on the banking systems in their respective countries and coordinating where appropriates the involvement of FIC and business line sector expertise.
• Contribute to define overall BNP Paribas strategy for FIC, in liaison with the central team and business lines, and developing specific development plans for assigned clients.
• Prepare and present account plans to Executive Sponsor and regularly engage them according to relevant framework agreed with top management.
• Actively disseminate as appropriate, client intelligence to key constituents.
Originate Business Opportunities
• Identify and communicate client needs to internal constituents; identify solutions (mono or multiproduct or cross-asset) responsive to those client needs.
• Initiate marketing actions, in close liaison with local/regional/global business line teams, to ensure that all relevant ideas and initiatives are presented at the appropriate level and in an organised way.
• Leverage top management relationships and contacts into executable business opportunities.
• Coordinate business line initiatives in order to ensure a consistent marketing approach to the client which is responsive to its needs rather than based on a product push.
• Follow up with business lines the progress on identified business opportunities, and implement appropriate actions to ensure the success of the initiatives, until effective closing of the deals and transactions
Facilitate Business Development and Institutional advancement
• Ensure institutional contact with the client, organising training sessions to enhance relationship, contributing to conferences, arrangement and preparation of top management meetings locally and abroad.
• Facilitate client’s understanding of BNPP strategy and credit profile to ensure sufficient bilateral liquidity and access to deposit and lending limits.
• Handle credit process issues (authorisations, annual reviews, implementation of ISDA, CSAs and KYC) in coordination with business lines and relevant risk management unit.
• Handling compliance and conduct issues in a prompt and effective manner. Serve as SBO on regional clients.
Competencies required for the role:
• Excellent team player and collaboration abilities.
• Establishing and maintaining productive networks and relationships.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as presentation skills
• Strong interpersonal and organisational skills
• Highly motivated and pro-active individual who is curious to learn
Technical skills and qualifications required for the role:
• Knowledge of financial analysis techniques.
• Strong Excel and Powerpoint skills.
• Capacity to write reports, analyses, summarise, argue and take position.
• Be a role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good Conduct
• Demonstrate proactivity, transparency, and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
• Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues, partners and clients before making decisions, and escalate issues to your manager when unsure
• Demonstrates a good awareness of risk and fundamental risk concepts. Always considers risk in his/her daily activities and abides by the Key Front Officer Responsibilities and Guidelines. Understands the market, credit, operational, compliance, legal, regulatory and reputational risks of transactions he/ she managers
Essential personal skills
• Effective communicator who can align people to the broader vision for the business whether they are directly managed or simply influenced by the individual in question
• Communicates pro-actively with management, escalating issues as necessary.
• Displays dedication & prioritises problems by considering the impact on the business; identifies quick-wins
• Stays calm and positive, controls his/her emotions in conflict or any situation of intense stress (due to market, time or client pressure).
• Ability to undertake a number of issues simultaneously is essential as well as the ability to work under considerable pressure
• Passion, tenacity and resilience in an ever changing environment
• Thinks laterally to identify other sources of useful information and sees ways around obstacles and barriers.
Internal key stakeholders
Group wide mandate – the FIC Team operates with all parts of the BNP Paribas Group including, but not limited to:
- Metiers: Global Markets, BP2S, Global Banking, BNPP Asset Management, Wealth Management, Real Estate, Personal Finance, Cardif, Arval, …
- Functions: Due Diligence, Compliance, Risk, Credit, ….
Please note that all applicants must disclose whether that they possess the right to work in the U.K. as per the Immigration, Asylum, and Nationality Act of 2006.