In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 17,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 73 markets with more than 196,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career in an international business environment that is fast-paced, diverse and focuses on creating high-value relationships with our clients. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as a working environment where you’re valued as part of the team.
* excluding partnerships
Role for a mid-level non-contentious transactional lawyer in Hong Kong to provide (i) transactional legal support to the fixed income business; and (ii) legal support to debt capital markets (DCM) business lines, within Global Markets and Corporate Investment Banking Asia.
• Provide structuring, documentation, execution management and legal support in respect of structured fixed income products;
• Coordinate execution of transactions by working closely with BNP Paribas’ clients and marketers/structurers during execution phase of transactions. Liaise with internal and external advisers and other relevant third parties. Responsibilities include: (a) reviewing and drafting term sheets, non-disclosure agreements and other miscellaneous documentation; (b) reviewing and commenting on transaction legal documentation prepared by external legal advisers and BNP Paribas’ counterparties; (c) providing legal sign off on transactions and ad hoc legal issues; (d) advising internal colleagues on legal documentation and procedure;
• Pre-trade and post-trade transaction work includes assisting marketers/structurers with legal and regulatory questions, including but not limited to questions relating to Volcker Rule and French Banking Law compliance, in conjunction with the relevant subject matter experts;
• Participate in Fixed Income Credit Committees and Transaction Approval Committees including conducting legal analysis of new transactions or activities and representing CIB Legal in the committee meetings;
• Support the structuring, documentation and execution of DCM transactions originating in Asia Pacific, including the Greater China region, including without limitation, standalone high yield and investment grade bonds; MTN programme takedowns and updates; bank capital and certificates of deposits; convertible, exchangeable and covered bonds.
• Deliver consistent and high quality legal advice, legal solutions and transaction management, working with front, middle and back offices (including compliance, risk management, tax and accounting advisers and back and middle office professionals) on legal, regulatory, documentation and settlement issues.
• Attend client meetings, including pitch presentations (where requested), due diligence meetings and drafting sessions (where necessary).
• Ensure legal and compliance/sanctions/AML risks arising from Fixed Income and DCM transactions are identified, analysed, explained and escalated as appropriate.
• Provide legal advice relating to new products, structures, clients and jurisdictions.
• Work with global and regional Fixed Income and DCM Legal teams to share know-how and implement relevant group and regional policies and procedures.
• Monitor and ensure that the Business and other functions are kept up-to-date with legal and regulatory developments affecting Fixed Income and DCM, and help BNP Paribas manage regulatory change in APAC which can arise from the global and regional regulatory reform.
• Role may involve traveling from time to time.
Competencies (Technical / Behavioral)
• Qualified lawyer (qualification in common law jurisdiction) with at least 3 years of post-qualification experience gained at another global financial institution or international law firm.
• Experience with most of the key responsibilities set forth above, although some on-the-job training will be provided where necessary.
• Ability to work under pressure, deal with demanding internal client base and manage a large and diverse workload, with minimal supervision and as part of a cross-disciplinary and cross-border team.
• Ability to negotiate effectively and independently with issuers, external counsel, auditors and other members of the working group.
• Excellent writing and verbal skills.
• Attention to detail and ability to deliver largely high quality work products.
• Candidate is expected to monitor email traffic (and respond where necessary) after hours on occasions, in particular during pricing and closing of a transaction.
• Experience in high yield transactions and/or securitization is preferred but not a must.
Specific Qualifications Required
• Native or near-native Mandarin speaker preferred
• Strong command of English