Senior Java Developer - Technical Lead
BNP Paribas is a leading European bank with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 192,000 employees – including more than 146,000 in Europe and over 4,000 in Portugal alone.
BNP Paribas is present in Portugal since 1985, having been one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, BNP Paribas has several entities operating directly in this territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
Worldwide, the Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
The mission of RISK is to provide Senior Management of the Group and of the Operating Divisions, with full transparency and dynamic analysis of the risk and clients managed by Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB) and Investment Solutions (IS) business units, as per the scope detailed below.
The scope of RISK is:
• On Market and Liquidity risks: it is Group-wide. RISK comprehensively covers the CIB capital markets activities, ALM Treasury as well as the IS Business Units,
• On Counterparty risk: it is Group-wide. RISK covers all counterparty risks arising from derivative and repo transactions,
• On Credit risk: credit analysis and approval for all Financial Institutions (including Funds and SPVs), Sovereigns, Wealth Management clients and other IS private clients,
• On Insurance risk: risks generated by Insurance activities,
• Depending on mandates given, RISK also assumes, directly or indirectly, responsibilities on the above risk categories in specific areas of the Retail Business Units.
RISK contributes to the definition of the Group’s risk appetite, its risk decision making process and the optimization of capital allocation to support the development of the Operating Divisions.
The RISK ERA Systems team is part of RISK. Its mission consists in providing the Bank with a comprehensive capital markets risk system to calculate market and counterparty risk capital figures using advanced methods and to support the needs of users for risk analysis, risk reporting and the credit process.
RISK ERA Systems has recently been expanding its international footprint by opening a new hub in Lisbon. This hub is currently made of two teams:
• Market Risk Measures (MRM), in charge of developing and implementing calculation methods for market and counterparty risk using Python;
• Data Governance Tool (DGT), responsible for the development and maintenance of a tool used to monitor data quality within RISK and developed in Python, Angular and Java.
In this context, we are looking for a senior Java developer acting as a technical lead for RISK ERA Systems Lisbon.
ROLE AND RESPONSABILITIES
1. Purpose of Job:
We are looking for a senior Java developer responsible for the construction of application components (such as RESTful services) to manage the interchange of data between external services and the system. Your primary focus will be the development of all server-side logic, ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. Thus, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and product quality is essential.
By being the technical lead of the team, you will also be accountable for the integrity of the solutions developed by your peers and responsible for troubleshooting IT issues that might occur, in order to ensure a smooth business continuity and guarantee the quality of deliveries from Lisbon.
Consequently, potential evolutions towards a team leader role may be considered.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be expected to fulfil the role of a Senior Java Developer – Technical Lead as follows:
build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Java code
• Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
• Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server side logic
• Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the applications
• Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
• Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
• Integration with a variety of data storage solutions
• Ensure the quality of team deliveries and help troubleshoot IT issues
• 3 years of experience with Java
• 5 years of experience in IT
• Master’s degree in Computer or Data Science
Technical Skills Required:
• Proficient in Java with a good knowledge of its ecosystem
• Familiar with Java application design and architectural pattern
• Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and functional programming paradigms
• Able to incrementally deliver server side applications to meet dynamic customer requirements
• Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
• Knowledge of multithreaded design and concurrency patterns in Java
• Strong experience delivering MVC, JDBC, and RESTful components
• Experience with both external and embedded databases
• Creating data schemas that represent and support business processes
• Strong unit test and debugging skills
Soft Skills Required:
• Strong analytical skills with a creative and flexible approach to problem solving
• Capacity to work effectively in a team and appetite to lead a team towards the best solutions
• Delivery-focused with keen attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
• Professional and precise communication skills
• Basic knowledge of Python or SQL is appreciated
• An experience with team management is a plus
• English mandatory
• French and Portuguese are a plus
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.