Data Governance Manager
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
The Data Governance Manager will support the refinement of the existing enterprise data governance framework and ensure adherence to this framework for data policies, standards and practices, both at the overall business level, and at the level of individual functions.
He or she will also serve as a point of escalation for data governance, and will work closely with the business to improve the quality and value of core data assets, comply with regulatory requirements, and support the company's strategic goals.
A successful candidate will understand how to leverage the data governance framework to drive revenues, promote innovation and reduce costs.
Additionally, this role will manage the maturity of the Data Governance Capability Framework through the definition, monitoring and reporting of Data Governance KPIs which assess level of maturity, coverage and performance of data capabilities both within EDM and each of the domains.
He or she will be responsible for maintaining knowledge on data governance, data management and data quality practices as well as the major US and EU regulatory developments. Will be the driving force for development and maintenance of knowledge on the BCBS239 guidance as well as the RaDAR program implementation so as to constantly adjust, as relevant, our activities to the approach promoted by BNP Paribas Group.
In this role you will:
- Create a data governance implementation roadmap, including strategic priorities for the development of capabilities.
- Develop and manage policies, standards, procedures and committee structures required to ensure accountability and adoption of the EDM principles.
- Lead the data community engagement activities driving, training & development, collaboration & relationship building, long-term planning & process improvements, and coordination with the LOB data stewards and the larger data community.
- Provide status reporting to leadership and regular updates on Data Governance objectives.
- Define, monitor and report on a Data Governance KPI framework which assess level of maturity, coverage and performance of data capabilities both within EDM and each of the domains.
- Identify ways to advance business objectives through the use of data as a strategic asset.
- Refine and establish roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for the stewardship of key data assets.
- Build awareness of actors in the responsibility framework regarding data and its lifecycle, illustrated by their understanding and control of the data they produce or aggregate, and their ability to meet specified deadlines.
- Requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
- Typically has advanced knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with understanding of the impact of work on other areas of the organization.
- Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Finance or Related Discipline
- Experience in Finance and risk related process redesign and optimization projects
- Experience in Finance and risk related data or technology projects
- Finance & Risk transformation: current state assessment, future state recommendation and developing a roadmap to enable Finance & Risk integration and implementation of regulatory-driven initiatives
- Basel II & III, Basel Data requirements, CCAR, Dodd Frank)
- Implementation of new finance and risk related processes including capital, liquidity, stress testing, planning & forecasting, risk assessment
- Delivery of finance & risk transformation programs across retail, commercial and/or investment banking o Implementation of finance & risk data sourcing and warehouse
- Completing finance & risk technology architecture strategy, design and plans
- Understanding of current events impacting the Financial Services Industry and implications on Finance & Risk Management
- Ability to interact effectively with senior-level client executives
- Demonstrated leadership in professional setting
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration in a professional setting
- Strong understanding of data governance concepts and best practices
- Strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Good organizational, multi-tasking, and time-management skills
- Must be capable of setting expectations with clients and reporting staff
- Must be able to work across multiple client levels effectively
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
EDW - Enterprise Data Management
- Development and management of policies, standards, and procedure and committee structures required to ensure accountability and adoption of the EDM principles
- Manage the data community engagement activities which support, training & development, collaboration, & relationship building and long-term planning & process improvement
- Support and manage the assignment of Data Domains and implementation of ownership and accountability in a federated model, ensuring cumulative responsibility is managed and available to the certification and attestation process
- Define, monitor and report on a Data Governance KPI framework which assess level of maturity, coverage and performance of data capabilities both within EDM and each of the domains
- Establish master list of Procedures that support each Guiding Principle. Maintain oversight of artifacts articulated in procedures to support IG assessments
- Establish and accountability framework supporting cumulative responsibility of actors in the EDM Framework, leading to attestation and certification of covered reports and requirements of RaDAR Group program
- Build awareness of actors in the responsibility framework regarding data and its lifecycle, illustrated by their understanding and control of the data they produce or aggregate, and their ability to meet specified deadlines
- Creative solution-minded with high energy and tenacity to keep going under pressure and meet demanding deadlines
- Develops open, considerate, effective and productive working relationships with customers, external contacts and individuals within CIB/IS perimeter
- Draws information from the market and applies broad knowledge base to make timely and logical decision that provides practical solutions for customers and others
- Responds appropriately and competently to the demands of work challenges when confronted with changes, ambiguity, diversity and other pressures
- Have exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to handle complex projects in a multi-tasking environment and meet deadlines while delivering high quality results
- Very strong work ethic and ability to deal with confidential information
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.