At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Bank of the West seeks a Vice President/Cybersecurity Manager to lead the intelligence functions across the organization. The individual will be responsible for the programmatic strategic direction and leading a team to conduct analysis to identify, monitor, assess, and help mitigate the threat posed by cyber actors against the Bank’s information systems, critical infrastructure and cybersecurity interests. The team supports the Information Security program and other Bank equities with strategic assessments and also provides tactical analysis and advice. The individual will lead intelligence professionals and guide their application of geopolitical and technical knowledge to solve complex intelligence problems, produce short-term and long-term written assessments, and inform Bank of the West security leadership and counterparts across the Bank’s stakeholders. In addition to leadership skills, the role demands initiative, creativity, analytical skills, and technical expertise. The Vice President will maintain and broaden their own and the team’s professional expertise through approved training, collaboration with peers, and attendance at professional meetings/conferences. As a subject matter expert, the position supports Bank of the West to achieve numerous security objectives, operational and regulatory goals.
This position will work collaboratively within the organization and across business lines to establish a Cyber Intelligence Program and contribute to the Cybersecurity strategic roadmap, policy, practices and standards, the security awareness program, incident response and management, enterprise risk assessments and management and security assessments. A successful candidate will be able to liaise with business unit leaders and management to communicate Program status, initiatives, and risks as it relates to business value and the Bank's organizational goals.
- Responsibilities include overseeing the intelligence teams’ analysis and reporting on cyber threats to Bank of the West, primarily in support of the Bank’s cybersecurity mission. This work is accomplished through collection, research, and analysis of cyber, geopolitical, and other intelligence-related data from a variety of sources to identify and evaluate patterns, and trends; preparing analysis and mitigation strategies from findings; interpreting and providing statistical information, via written and verbal presentations for key Bank stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with the Application Security, Application Development teams and other stakeholders to develop robust and accurate Application centric Threat Models per industry best practice.
- Leads Senior and Junior Intelligence Officers with research, review, edits, plans, preparation, integration and publishing of in-depth cyber intelligence studies, plans, and/or products on behalf of the Bank.
- Ensure the team provides current and accurate information on emerging events and trends that could impact Bank of the West tactical and strategic customers, from senior leaders to counterparts across and outside of the Bank.
- Oversees the quality, accuracy and timeliness of analytic and technical assessments of threat actors’ capabilities, intent, and strategic threat implications, and integrate comments from external partners and information feeds.
- Guides the team to conducts data extraction, parsing, manipulation, and storage; quantitative and qualitative analyses based on the large volume of data.
- Delivers reports that present findings, cite applicable policies, identify causative situations, and recommend corrective actions.
- Guides Intelligence Officers on related ad-hoc tasks, Security initiatives and other projects.
- Oversees and leads the research and produces documents on current intelligence related to potential cyber threats, plans, and activities that directly affect the Bank’s cybersecurity mission.
- Coordinates, monitors, and integrates valid intelligence while ensuring timely, comprehensive and accurate response. Identifies intelligence gaps, specifies collection requirements to fill gaps in information, evaluates resulting intelligence collected in response to requirements and determines analytical approach. Incumbent collaborates with other analysts and collectors at external partner organizations on intelligence analysis related matters.
- Lead the team to identify significant trends within assigned subject-matter area and proposes new or revised analytical projects to alert decision-makers to new developments and to meet customer requirements. Develops and/or recommends complex analytical approaches to problems and situations for which data are incomplete, controversial, or for which no precedent exists.
- Develops the strategy and leads the team to provide multi-intelligence analysis and fusion analysis integrating existing open-source products and databases to provide an enhanced level of information support.
- Builds strong working relationships with stakeholders to understand data-driven processes and strategy.
- Develops and maintains liaison with counterparts within Bank of the West and other partner organizations to discuss and coordinate intelligence production.
- Maintains currency in both foreign and domestic advances and developments that relate to, or have a potential impact on, assigned subject-matter area.
- Partners with leaders and management as needed to gain insight into program design
- Provides leadership and direction to project teams and/or project managers.
- Design policies, processes, practices, guidelines, standards, and baselines that are mapped directly to business risks to measure for effectiveness and adherence.
- Ensure the Program budget is in alignment with core business objectives and key initiatives.
Other Job Functions:
- Liaise with business units, leadership, and law enforcement as needed.
- Align with the enterprise risk management strategy to communicate risk
- Communicate the risk of vulnerabilities in terms of the organization’s environment.
- Ensure the Bank’s compliance with internal and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate relevant risk activities (e.g., Audit, Regulatory, risk assessment, control testing, monitoring, vulnerability management, risk reporting) and remediation of identified gaps and issues.
- Develop and/or report on metrics to measure success of the Program.
- Work with internal security awareness staff and Corporate Communications to identify security new and continued training and awareness needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Candidates with a bachelor's degree in security studies, intelligence analysis, cybersecurity, business analysis or a mix of international and technical studies are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Competitive candidates typically will have at a minimum, five to seven years of experience in intelligence, threat analysis or national security, such as previous experience in the federal, state relevant experience, an awareness of U.S. national security interests, and strong verbal presentation and writing skills, including the demonstrated ability to write clear and concise text.
- All candidates must have strong analytical skills and a strong ability to be adaptive when approaching issues.
- Qualified candidates must be skilled in the production and presentation of quality finished intelligence products; be an effective communicator, both orally and in writing; and be organized, efficient and capable of responding to multiple tasks within designated time-lines
- As a member of our highly collaborative team, the ideal candidate will assume a key role in working with stakeholders and technical staff throughout the Bank.
To protect the health and safety of our employees and customers, Bank of the West may require all U.S. employees to provide proof of their vaccination status. Employees who are not fully vaccinated may undergo regular testing.
This position has the option to work in one of our key hubs (San Ramon, CA, Tempe, AZ, Omaha, NE) or to work remotely as long as it is in within our 27 state working footprint which includes AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, IA, IL, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WI, WY, NY.
Annual Hiring Range/Hourly Rate:
$104,000 - $181,000
Actual compensation offer to candidate may vary from posted hiring range based upon geographic location, work experience, education, and/or skill level.
In addition to base salary, this position is eligible for annual incentives.
- The base salary opportunity can vary based on candidate’s geographic location, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.