Credit Products Officer
Job Description Summary
Responsible for underwriting credit requests for large corporate and middle market companies. Manages a commercial loan portfolio of moderately to highly complex relationships, in collaboration with relationship managers, with the goal of delivering customized credit solutions to clients while minimizing credit losses and maintaining compliance with credit review policy. This is the most senior level of Credit Products Officer, capable of leading a deal team and assisting the division credit manager in the supervision of junior credit officers, credit associates and support staff.
Essential Job Functions
- Together with Relationship Manager, takes primary responsibility for managing credit needs of a portfolio of 15 or more commercial banking relationships. Provides consultative underwriting advice, develops customized credit solutions, performs credit analysis and presentation and proactively manages the credit portfolio to meet customer's and prospect needs and minimize credit losses to the Bank.
- Ensures development and preparation of effective proposals for presentation to existing and potential customers. Leads credit deal team in the preparing credit memos, making recommendations and signing final credit document. Ensures credit facilities and transactions are properly analyzed, risk rated, structured, priced, and documented.
- Acts as a deal team leader overseeing credit and underwriting activities of other officers and associates. May oversee the work of others, including financial spreads, projections and preparation of credit memos by training less-experienced credit staff.
- Works closely with the Relationship Manager on financial, business and industry due diligence including jointly calling on commercial clients and prospects.
- Supports unit's growth and profitability by delivering an unparalleled client experience through timely underwriting of credit requests and proactive monitoring of the credit portfolio.
- Works closely with other CBG Departments (e.g. Cash Management, Capital Markets, Equipment Leasing, Trade Finance), and other major areas of the Bank to manage the risk of complex financial products and services.
- Ensures quality control and risk management of relationships managed. Identifies, classifies, and monitors problems or potential problem loans in compliance with the internal credit review policy. Directly, or through credit officers or analysts, tracks and monitors receipt of financial reporting and covenant compliance certificates.
Other Job Duties
- Interacts with Credit & Counterparty Risk officers, Industry vertical bankers, Appraisal Review, Legal, and other related Bank personnel regarding issues of credit quality, appropriate compensation for risk, as well as new business and related industry trends.
- Views credit quality as a personal obligation; exhibits independent judgment; ensures balanced loan presentations; responsible for timely portfolio monitoring; proactive in problem detection/resolution; maintains balance between growth and credit quality.
- May act as a specialist for the Bank in specific industry. Keeps current on all economic and other issues impacting industry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree required with concentration (or equivalent college course work) in business, finance, or accounting
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of demonstrated commercial credit underwriting and loan structuring experience with middle market & large corporate transactions
- Demonstrated capability in advanced financial and cash flow analysis
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to perform independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good organizational skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.