Credit Control Assistant
Client Finance is a national team based in our Birmingham office serving the property management accounting needs of all our UK property management and corporate occupier clients.
The team includes specialist client accountants and accounts assistants who act as the primary point of contact for all aspects of accounting service deliver to our investor and corporate clients, and shared service teams who provide credit control, accounts payable, treasury/cash management, and business systems administration services.
In total Client Finance is comprised of c. 50 people handling rent collection of over £780 million and expenditure in excess of £1 billion p.a.
The Credit Control Assistant works within a small team responsible for managing the recovery of monies from tenants / occupiers. The objective of the role is to support the Credit Controller and liaise with tenants on outstanding debts, manage the recovery of arrears and maintain information relating to actions taken.
o Chasing arrears on behalf of clients in accordance with clients’ debt recovery policies
o Maintaining records of tenant actions to settle arrears, including monitoring performance against agreed payment plans
o Liaising with surveyors and client accountants to resolve tenant queries about charges and payments
· Support existing Credit controller with chasing arrears on behalf of clients in accordance with clients’ debt recovery policies for the methods and timescales to be employed in escalating recoveries
· Keep surveyors responsible for clients and tenants informed of progress in collecting arrears
· Agree all escalation steps to recover debts with the surveyor responsible prior to initiating action
· Maintain records of agreed repayment plans and ensure such plans are approved by the surveyor and/or client as appropriate
· Track repayments against agreed payment plans and notify surveyors and client accountants of any default
· Support the Credit Controller with instructing solicitors and/or bailiffs to recover outstanding sums in accordance with client instructions and agreed with the surveyor responsible
· Record details of conversations and actions agreed with tenants to clear outstanding arrears
· Provide information to support preparation of monthly credit control reports and aged debtor analyses
· Ensure that all tenant queries are actioned within 24 hours, liaising with surveyors and client
Accountants as required
· Report any tenant disputes and/or complaints to the surveyor and client accountant responsible
· Reconcile tenant statements / aged debtor reports
· Provide tenants with copies of any missing documentation, creating and issuing charges as necessary
· Assist in the allocation of cash receipts at peak periods
· Contribute to the identification of unallocated cash
· Adhere to all agreed procedures and controls
· Participate in the company’s performance management programme, adhering to and promoting internal performance standards.
· Adhoc duties for the team
BNP Paribas Real Estate is proud to be an inclusive employer, as recognised by our RICS Inclusive Employer status and the Stonewall Equality Index.
· Experience in a credit control / rent collection role within a busy office environment. Qualification or part qualification in credit control and debt management or a related accounting discipline a distinct advantage
· Must be highly numerate and accurate with strong attention to detail
· Tenacious, presentable, assertive and self-motivated
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with professional telephone manner
· Conscientious and highly focussed, with a sound understanding of credit control procedures and an appreciation of data protection issues
· Experience of using computer based accounting systems, ideally Trace Tramps, or similar packages such as Yardi Propware / Voyager, Qube Horizon, etc.
· Able to work to tight deadlines and manage time effectively
· Good skills in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, and Outlook)
· Understanding of accounting techniques including sales ledger transactions, particularly in a property environment, would be an advantage.
· Service charge knowledge advantageous