Bank of the West, Digital Channel Group – San Francisco, California
We are undergoing a dramatic transformation to reimagine our brand, experiences, and products. We know real change is hard work, which is why we need people who are aligned with our values and ready to make a serious impact on our industry and the world. We need your experience, optimism, and energy to define, design, and build the future.
We are throwing past constraints and assumptions out the window as we redesign and rebuild all of our digital products. From our native mobile apps to our extensive portfolio of online products and services we aim to reset the bar for consumer experience in the financial industry. To accomplish our goals, we are building a team of professionals assembled from e-commerce, entertainment, fintech, and social media.
We are looking for people unafraid of bringing their authentic selves to work. Our inspiration and collaboration depend on the diversity of our teams, and inclusion of all voices in our process. We value honesty, transparency, and positive leadership. We are not interested in corporate politics. We appreciate action. We reward continual improvement. We want you to grow. We want you to be yourself. We want you to ask for help and help your peers. We want you to work hard and be proud of the results. We want you to take vacation. We know that when we support you, you will do the best work of your career.
Our eyes are on the future and we need you to help make it happen, join us.
The Design Org
The role of Design is critically important and highly visible as we lead the way in building the future of our brand. During this rapid growth period we are intensely focused on three aspects of internal improvement to ensure success:
- Fostering a fun and healthy Design Culture.
- Codifying a Design Process that is grounded in collaboration and group critique to support and challenge all Designers to do their best work.
- Hiring and retaining extraordinarily talented individuals who desire to work in an environment where we all share the belief that ‘Design is how it works’*.
Our organization operates in a Centralized Partnership model and is responsible for all Product Design, Visual Design, Brand Design, User Experience Design, Content Design, Design Research, Design Operations, and Design Program Management. Our partnerships include deep collaboration with Product, Engineering, Data, Marketing, and Business teams.
*Steve Jobs, 2003 New York Times article “The Guts of a New Machine”
The Role of Content Designer
As a valuable member of the Design Org your role will be to produce high-quality deliverables and support content design as a core practice in our digital product and marketing lifecycles. Your skills will be critical in delivering our message to millions of engaged consumers as we build a world-class consumer brand. You will work closely with peer Content Designers, Visual Designers, Product Managers, and stakeholders to implement and evolve messaging hierarchies, voice, and tone guidelines to ensure continuity across all of our consumer touch points. The majority of your work will focus on interactive digital products for native mobile apps and responsive web design. You’ll craft the experiences and write the words that bring our brand alive. Every inch of micro copy through the big picture will be your domain. You will also partner closely with Marketing with your contributions to brand work, advertising, infographics, event displays, and other printed or downloadable collateral. You will represent the Design Org in a supporting role during internal presentations and cross-departmental initiatives.
The perfect candidate will be a natural storyteller with deep experience in the digital consumer space, skilled at presenting their perspective, open to feedback or constraints, and accepting of compromise when necessary.
- Contribute to Content Design efforts on multiple concurrent projects.
- Participate in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including product ideation and definition, user research, identifying deliverables, estimating effort, design, UAT, post-launch evaluation, and stakeholder communication.
- Collaborate with Visual Designers, Product Designers, UX Designers, and Product Managers to develop a content design strategy, supporting voice and tone continuity across all of our consumer touch points.
- Construct clean and organized content deliverables that adhere to style guidelines.
- Define, share, and deliver work to ensure project excellence.
- Present work and rationale to stakeholders. Articulate decisions with research data, design principles, or other objective information.
- Create and maintain documentation and deliverables for multiple stakeholders: partners, Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers.
- Contribute to a strong design culture by collaborating with members of multidisciplinary teams, advocating for our audience and human-centered design practices.
- Remaining aware of digital content trends and continually improving your skills and capabilities.
Experience & Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience
- Degree in Journalism, English, Design, Marketing, Communication, or other related disciplines.
- Strong portfolio with engaging and diverse material.
- Familiarity with iterative processes like Agile and the tools and strategies that make those processes successful.
- Understanding of design research, user experience design processes and methodology, its value, and how to integrate into our work.
- Familiarity in tools common to modern design work for digital products: Sketch + common plugins, Invision + CraftManager, Adobe Creative Suite, OmniGraffle, etc.
- An understanding of interactivity and the Web and the fundamentals of information architecture, hierarchy, and layout.
- You listen well and have excellent speaking and writing skills.
- You can observe, analyze, question, and conceptualize.
- You can articulate your decisions, rationale, and design process.
- You are respectful when challenging assumptions and give and receive feedback with equal grace.
- You are reliable. You estimate work, commit, deliver on deadlines, and are vocal when risk arises.
- You have a design aesthetic. Your documents are simple, informative, and filled with value.
- Bachelor's Degree Visual Arts, Marketing, Communication, Design, Human Computer Interaction, Information Architecture or other related disciplines
- Requires deep knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience. Typically viewed as a specialist within discipline. May have broad knowledge of project management.
Requires 7 years minimum prior relevant experience."
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.