Compliance Officer, Monitoring and Surveillance
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 17,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 73 markets with more than 196,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career in an international business environment that is fast-paced, diverse and focuses on creating high-value relationships with our clients. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as a working environment where you’re valued as part of the team.
* excluding partnerships
The Market Integrity (MI) APAC Monitoring and Surveillance teams is a specialized unit within APAC Compliance and primarily responsible for reviews on existing Surveillance models, conducting in depth investigations on trading activity and patterns, and refining and building trade surveillance models in accordance with and in anticipation of regulatory expectations and remediation plans.
Additionally the Monitoring and Surveillance Compliance Officers are responsible for working with Business Management, Compliance Advisory, Global Counterparts and IT to monitor for potential market abuse activity, regulatory violations, market manipulation, or suspicious activity. The Market Integrity (MI) APAC Monitoring and Surveillance teams proactively stay abreast of regulatory initiatives in the industry and potential risks to the Bank in order to assess areas to expand or improve surveillance models or reviews. The Market Integrity (MI) APAC Monitoring and Surveillance teams play a critical role in working with the front (1st line of Defense) and supporting areas to perform investigations, when necessary, and to determine and coordinate corrective action. This position will assist in operationalizing the implementation plans to support undertakings made to various regulators specifically regarding the continuing evolution and enhancements of the Bank’s surveillance program across all asset classes.
The Market Integrity (MI) APAC Monitoring and Surveillance teams are located in Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul and
Tokyo with supporting local compliance officers in the respective smaller countries in APAC. This position is based in HK.
• Operationalize implementation plans and undertakings made to various regulators
• Conduct trade surveillance of Equities / Equities Derivatives / FI / FX business units in order to detect potential regulatory violations, identify suspicious activity and items requiring corrective action
• Analyze transaction activity detected, document findings, provide written explanations to the transaction detail, and conduct investigations into any issue that may arise during the course of analysis
• Interact with Front Office Salespeople, Traders, Supervisors and Compliance Advisory staff so that an appropriate resolution may be achieved and communicate issues in a proactive manner
• Raise matters of importance to Departmental Management for discussion, participate in Team meetings, conduct investigations into potentially violation and/or suspicious activity
• Escalate potentially serious issues and exception items noted during the review process to Management for discussion and further investigation if deemed necessary
• Assist with the development of new surveillances to cover new risk priorities
• Work on regional surveillance projects including system UAT, new models discussion, or system development
• Conduct or assist with ad-hoc investigations
• Assist with IG/Internal Audit and ad hoc regulatory requests
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
• University graduate with major in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance or Law or equivalent qualification
• At least 5 years’ compliance / Middle Office / Back Office experience, experience in monitoring and surveillance is preferred
• Experience or specialization in an asset class such as Equities / Equities Derivatives / FI / FX
• Strong knowledge of APAC market regulations, particularly in relation to Equities industry; preferably some exposure to rules and regulations of the HKMA, SFC
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including writing, with the ability to interact effectively with front and back office staff and senior management
• High attention to details
• Strong analytical and investigative skills
• Ability to manage multi task, and handle multiple compliance reviews and projects at the same time and meet deadlines
• Proactive in identifying risks and proposing solutions
Specific Qualifications (if required)
• Exposure to trading desks, electronic trading market and securities industry strongly preferred
• Experience with surveillance and case management systems, such as NICE Actimize and SMARTS
• Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite; Excel, Bloomberg
• Familiarity with market data and due diligence vendors (Bloomberg, Reuters, etc.)
• Fluency in French or different Asian Languages is a plus