In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
The Market Integrity (MI) APAC has various operating units, namely Control Room, Monitoring and Surveillance, Independent testing and Risk Assessment, Governance/Framework, Norms Procedures & Advisory and Regulatory reviews. MI and Financial Market (FM) compliance (“MI/FM”) teams are located across different APAC countries with the hubs in Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan with India supporting as an outsourced unit for various monitoring and surveillance functions.
MI APAC Monitoring and Surveillance (M&S) teams in Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan perform monitoring and surveillance function on CIB métiers such as Global Markets (GM), Asset Liability Management Treasury (ALMT), Investment Banking (IBA, FIC) and Securities Services (BP2S) businesses within APAC which also includes providing advisory support to Sharekhan in India (within DM métier). In July 2020 its scope extended to include Wealth Management (WM) (within IFS métier) MI surveillance function for Singapore and Hong Kong.
The primary responsibility of this position is to independently review the surveillance processes for accuracy, relevancy, proper escalation and closure of issues. In this regard, he/she will be responsible for validating the Bank’s compliance with applicable industry rules and regulations.
This position reports to Head, Quality Assurance APAC.
• Conduct targeted Quality Assurance (QA) reviews on first line of defense (FOCS team/1LOD) and second line of defense (M&S team/2LOD) in order to assess and review compliance with legal, regulatory and internal Bank policy requirements – Specifically for coverage of Japan market as the target operating model for market surveillance includes Japan for Electronic Surveillance;
• Escalate potential issues and exception items noted during the review process to Head, MI APAC M&S for discussion and further investigation if deemed necessary;
• Prepare and distribute reports to Senior Compliance Management detailing review findings and recommendations; report on significant activities conducted and planned for the upcoming period;
• Anticipate regulatory requirements exemplified in regulatory actions and guidance and ensure the requirements are met within APAC surveillance program; implement compensating controls to manage risk;
• Ensure APAC M&S procedures are enhanced to formalize local controls in alignment with Group requirements, including the gathering and evidencing of supporting documentation;
• Work with others across FM/MI and other Compliance on transversal quality control and assurance related initiatives;
• Propose, develop and execute new reviews to address emerging trends and identify red flags within the surveillance Program;
• Mitigate risks of exposure through process change proposals and escalations of recommendations within APAC M&S through Senior Compliance Management;
• Lead working groups that focus on enhancing controls/quality of the trade surveillance program; define time tables and project plans while focusing on strategic initiatives;
• Assist the Head, Quality Assurance APAC with examinations by the Bank’s regulators and internal auditors/IG;
• Assist the Head, Quality Assurance APAC with the monitoring and resolution of IG issues.
• Conduct investigations/projects as deemed necessary by M&S/Senior Compliance Management; and
• Execution of CIB Surveillance Permanent Challenge and Independent Testing framework for 1LOD/2LOD alignment in APAC.
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
• University graduate with major in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance or Law or equivalent qualification
• At least 5 years’ regulatory, audit or compliance experience, experience in monitoring and surveillance is preferred
• Demonstrate capacity for sound project management, analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to exercise sound and balanced judgment.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and consult at all levels.
• Committed to confidentiality, integrity and objectivity
• Excellent knowledge of securities markets, businesses, products
• Familiar with securities and exchange rules and regulations
• Proactive in identifying risks and proposing solutions
• Good written and oral communication skills
• High attention to details
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work under tight deadlines
Specific Qualifications (if required)
• Prefer to have experience in Surveillance or Compliance
Other/Specific Qualifications (if required)
Required to have regulatory knowledge of APAC surveillance requirements