Chief of Staff - Customer Enterprise Services & Solutions
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
This highly strategic and facilitative role requires a combination of focus and flexibility, leadership, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role. This role must maintain a trust-based relationship with the Head of CESS and gain and maintain the trust of senior executives and stakeholders through relationship building. The Chief of Staff requires a highly resourceful individual with exceptional emotional intelligence, who is self-motivated, and possesses strong analytical skills. They will directly manage a team of approximately 8-10 individuals across different multiple functions.
Essential Job Functions
Accountable to ensure that meeting objectives are realistic, that preparation is appropriate, and that the Head of CESS’s time is leveraged most effectively. This responsibility is less about logistics and more about content and the appropriateness and sufficiency of the intended preparation. This may mean querying and pushing back on senior executives and assisting in their preparation for their interactions with the Head of CESS.
Responsible for providing strategic counsel and maintains a trust-based relationship with the Head of CESS. And gains and maintains the trust of senior executives and stakeholders through relationship building.
Coordination/orchestration of projects or commitments directly involving the Head of CESS and their direct reports. This role would need to understand the breadth of the projects within the Head of CESS’s purview. Tact, diplomacy, and persistence are essential qualities in executing this dimension of the role.
Communicates business direction and strategic initiatives to CESS leaders in order to gain their buy-in and participation in the strategic direction.
Drives the alignment of all business groups to CESS strategic business goals – ensure all department business goals are aligned and deliver to the overall CESS strategic goals
Provide unvarnished views of “on the ground” realities; the Chief of Staff must walk the halls and maintain relationships.
Direct the planning, and activity of multiple functional areas including administrative functions.
Oversee and facilitate alignment to strategic goals of large cross-functional projects or initiatives
Serve as a strategic advisor and counsel to leaders to enable leadership success
Drive Head of CESS’s priority initiatives, including coordinating with internal stakeholders and internal leaders to ensure execution. Be prepared to apprise the Head of CESS of project status and variations from schedule or scope.
Succinctly update the Head of CESS on the issues, supported with facts and recommendations.
Facilitate decisions the executive staff need receiving feedback on from the Head of CESS. S/he will support the needs of the executive staff in their ability to raise critical issues with the Head of CESS and receive needed responses, guidance and decisions.
Attend meetings, capture major take-a ways, and work with executive team to ensure follow up.
The Chief of Staff must influence far more than s/he directs. Work with CESS Executives to align their actions and communications in support of agreed upon goals. The Chief of Staff’s role will be to work with all CESS staff to ensure that the Head of CESS’s needs are conveyed and that progress is being made in a timely way. The Chief of Staff will also work to ensure the CESS teams’ needs are conveyed to the Head of CESS for consideration.
Perform agreed upon work—including coordinating with others who might be involved; communication must be clear, concise, and compelling. Prepare follow up correspondence for internal and external meetings, as directed by the Head of CESS.
Present timely work-in-progress updates to the Head of CESS on the status of materials mentioned above.
- 12 - 15 years of relevant experience of transferable work experience in business strategy, consulting, or related area
- Bachelor's Degree required or equivalent experience
- Master's Degree strongly preferred
- Understanding, expertise preferred, of governance, record keeping, and continuous improvement frameworks and concepts
- Track record of proactive leadership in highly matrixed, collaborative environment is essential
- Ability to effectively advise and communicate with executive leadership, manage change and inspire business partners to embrace change
- Exceptional communicator, in development of business presentations, written communication, and personal interactions
- Strong strategic thinking skills and excellent business acumen
- Displays high intellectual capacity, sound professional judgment and discretion to lead in complex, changing, and ambiguous environments
- Communicates effectively with diverse groups and individuals - clearly conveys information and ideas and listens and responds appropriately to customer needs, external vendors and individuals throughout the Bank including senior and executive management
- Develops open, considerate, effective and productive working relationships with customers, external contacts, and individuals throughout Bank of the West
- Displays advanced decision making and analysis skills - draws information and broad knowledge to make timely and logical decisions that provide practical solutions
- Adaptability - responds appropriately and competently to the demands of work challenges when confronted with changes, ambiguity, adversity, and other pressures
- Strong business acumen and problem solving ability
- Highest standards of ethics and personal integrity
- Personal Ownership - Assumes responsibility for effectively meeting objectives, motivates self to get the job done, performs job duties in an organized, accurate and productive fashion, seeks out and is open to knowledge, ideas and feedback to improve effectiveness, and holds self-accountable for following policies, guidelines, and procedures
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.