In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal's Top Employers in 2022. We are a dynamic and growing organization, located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future.
About the Department
The mission of RISK Operational Risk Management (“ORM”) is to oversee the effective and efficient functioning of the Operational Permanent Control (OPC) framework implemented by business lines and functions (1st line of defense or 1LOD), as well as the measurement and management of Operational Risks (OR). They serve in an independent oversight capacity, as part of the 2nd line of defense (2LOD), ensuring that the 1LOD is fulfilling its Permanent Control (PC) objectives and requirements. RISK ORM’s scope includes the CIB business line, and its supporting operational units and transversal functions across the Americas (US, Canada, Brazil & Latin America)
The position at a glance
RISK ORM Canada is acting as the 2nd Line of Defense for all the BNP Paribas activities based in Canada (i.e. for both the local client activity and the shared services ones), with the key role to support CIB and RISK Senior Management with a comprehensive, transparent, exhaustive and consistent front to back view of Operational Risk Management across their activities in Canada.
The Canada Operational Risk Officer will help supervise the front to back Operational Risk (”OR”) Management framework and more specifically:
- Develop an expertise of Business Lines and Functions and help advise on decisions with OR impacts such as new activities and other change management/transformational initiatives.
- Assess, monitor and effectively challenge Business Lines and Functions RCSA process including risk identification, risk assessment, risk mitigations and Key Risk Indicators (KRI) (incl. remediation or effectiveness of controls).
- Execute on Independent 2LOD Testing Program against Business Lines and Functions control framework.
- Oversight, challenge and report on Operational Losses including both Actual and Potential Incidents and the oversight of root cause analysis and action plans.
- Ensure (i) the consistent extension of the Group and CIB OR policies, guidelines and procedures across Business Lines and Functions activities, and (ii) the correct implementation and animation of Business Lines and Functions OR governance through their contribution to: Canada Internal Control Committee (ICC), Regional Business Lines and Functions ICCs.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 7 years relevant experience, with demonstrated experience as part of a Risk, Finance, Audit or Compliance team(s).
- Bachelor’s Degree minimum, MBA or Advanced Degree preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as experience with Executive level presentation, to build relationships with Business Lines and Functions senior management, in Canada and in the US
- Top-notch analytical and organizational skills. Ability to influence, to negotiate, to conceptualize issues and translate ideas into solutions.
- Diplomatic and problem solver and transformation leader that can drive consensus and produce results, collectively as well as individually.
- Initiative driven and ability to execute in and adapt to a complex, matrix, evolving environment.
- Must be a self-starter.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Prudential Regulations or corporate governance practices a plus.
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- All BNP Paribas Canada employees must be adequately vaccinated against COVID-19 on the date of hire, unless exempt for a reason protected by the Canadian Human Rights Act.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2022
- Women in Governance – Parity certified - Silver certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **