Campus - Internship - Compliance
• Assistant Vice President Compliance/Financial Security
MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
Help protect the BNP Paribas Canada Branch and the BNP Paribas subsidiaries reporting to the Head of Territory for Canada (altogether the “Bank”) and therefore the BNP Paribas Group against the risk of non-compliance in the areas of:
• Financial Security (AML/KYC), Professional Ethics and Market Integrity;
• Associated standards and procedures;
• Compliance control; and
• Protection tools.
The “risk of non-compliance” is the risk which arises from the failure to comply with regulatory provisions, business and ethical standards or BNP Paribas directives applicable to the Bank.
This position does not involve personnel management.
The Compliance Intern contributes to the prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing, as well as compliance with the national and international financial sanction frameworks that apply to the Bank. Specifically, the Compliance Intern must:
• Carry out screenings on the names of client’s authorized representatives and accordingly update the database containing the names of politically exposed persons (PEPs) and heads of international organizations (HIOs);
• Identify operations initiated by PEPs and HIOs which exceed regulatory thresholds, analyze such operations and obtain approval from a designated executive;
• Identify and report to the financial intelligence unit (FINTRAC), within assigned deadlines, cash operations that exceed regulatory thresholds;
• Contribute to the analysis of transactions that pose a risk of violating the Bank’s rules and advise on how to deal with such transactions (authorize, decline or freeze) as permitted by the delegation of authority in effect at the Bank.
Professional Ethics & Market Integrity
The Compliance Intern contributes to the monitoring and review of Professional Ethics rules. Specifically, the Compliance Intern must:
• Collaborate regularly with the Personal Account Dealing (PAD) team, based in NYC, for the monitoring and the application of the policies and procedures on Professional Ethics;
• Review regularly the list of sensitive employees, and ensure it is up-to-date and complete;
• Assist with the weekly notifications sent to new hires deemed “sensitive employees”, if any.
• Assist with the provision and tracking of anti-money laundering/terrorist financing (AML/TF), Sanctions and Ethics trainings;
• Carry out certain assigned permanent Financial Security and Professional Ethics controls in accordance with the defined frequency and methodology;
• Carry any other task in Financial Security or Professional Ethics requested by the immediate line manager.
TRAINING AND OCCUPATIONAL EXPERIENCE
• Student in Law, Business administration or related
ESSENTIAL SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
• Critical thinking and judgement
• Intellectual curiosity
• Working knowledge of standard computer hardware and software
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
• Organizational skills
• Ability to manage stress and priorities
A recruitment policy that promotes equity and diversity:
Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
We pride ourselves in applying non-discrimination rules to all our recruitments.
We will only contact the candidates selected who meet the job requirements in terms of training and experience.
About BNP Paribas
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 195,000 employees, including more than 148,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
About BNP Paribas in Canada
In Canada, BNP Paribas is one of the dominant foreign banks in the country and is committed to building its platform even further. Since becoming the operational hub for the Group’s activities in North America in 2013, it has grown significantly to reach more than 700 employees and is expected to continue growing in the coming years. With the continued development of technology and financial fields, BNP Paribas Canada continues to attract experts with diverse backgrounds as well as young and ambitious talent from across the globe. With the international mobility and capacity that very few companies can offer, BNP Paribas prides itself in providing a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow.