Business Analyst - Global Market Regulatory IT
About BNP Paribas Group:
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 74 countries with more than 190,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 15,000 employees* and a presence in 14 markets, it provides clients with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs, and continues to develop its franchise in the region.
About BNP Paribas India Solutions:
Established in 2005, BNP Paribas India Solutions is a wholly owned subsidiary of BNP Paribas Group, a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. With delivery centers located in Mumbai and Chennai, we are a 24x7 global delivery center. We partner various business lines of BNP Paribas such as Corporate and Institutional Banking, Wealth Management, Retail Banking through three verticals - Information Technology, Operations and Finance Shared Services.
About Businessline/Function :
The Global Markets business of BNP Paribas helps its corporate and institutional clients leverage capital markets across the globe for their financing, risk management and investment needs. This encompasses a wide range of financial products ranging from Foreign exchange to complex Equity Derivatives that are traded in financial markets across the globe 24/7. IT systems are integral to the business and are a key part of the value proposition to clients. These IT systems range from industry standard products for standard process automation to internally developed, often, market leading IT applications. The IT teams owning these IT systems are made up of functions that include Technical and Application production support, Business Analysis & Project Management, Development & Maintenance and Quality Control. BNP Paribas India Solutions is an equal partner in these IT functions along with colleagues in other locations including Paris, London, New York, Tokyo, Singapore & Hong Kong. This partnership ranges from sharing the IT work load, executing global strategy to owning global applications offshore. The technology and engineering landscape is wide, encompassing almost all techniques and platforms. It continues to evolve and transform with the market with the business continuing to invest in it.
Regulatory IT comprises of software systems which manage reporting to Regulators in the Americas, EMEA and APAC regions. These systems
1) Manage the generation of real time reports to Regulators
2) Control and monitor trades, positions and breaks for report accuracy
3) Make Pre trade regulatory checks and alert compliance violations.
Our vision is for these systems to manage the next level of reporting, by making these systems more efficient, robust, intelligent and accurate using cutting edge technologies and engineering practices
Business Analyst - Regulatory - Reporting Layer
Business Line / Function:
IND035 – 201 Business Analyst
Number of Direct Reports:
Directorship / Registration:
Business Analyst plays an important role in team for gathering and validating business requirement. This position is the key position to bridge the gap with business and IT developers.
· Gather and Analyze and Create BRD and FRD by articulating requirements in concise manner for stakeholders (Business, Developers, Testers, Support)
· Conduct timely sessions/meetings/seminars with various onshore and offshore Stakeholders for timely delivery
· Design User Acceptance Testing, Review QA Scenarios and participate in UAT validation with users
· Co-ordinate for Sign-off by Sponsors & Stakeholders and abiding with Project Governance based on Agile Methodologies
· Attitude to multitask as per business prioritization
· Capable to mentor BA’s and review specifications produced by them
· Adhere with Organization (GM IT) specific Project Lifecycle and Architecture guidelines
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
Trade Life Cycle
1. Understands the basic life cycle of trade from trade origination to the settlement.
2. Categories the different activities in life cycle of a trade.
3. Front Office : Trade Capture / Origination and Trade Execution
4. Middle Office : Validation, Booking and Confirmation
5. Back Office : Clearing, Settlement and Accounting and Finance
6. Link each activity to the subsequent one and explain process detail in each step.
Nice to Have
1. Understands the roles of the various entities/departments in the trade life cycle and their segregation.
2. Brokerage Firm / Securities Trading Organization
3. Custodian and Clearing Firm
4. Commercial Bank
5. Compliance Dept.
6. Accounting Dept.
1. Basics of an equity product
2. Need for Equity, Advantages and Disadvantages
3. Equity vs. Debt
4. Primary & Secondary Markets
5. Types of Equities - Ordinary vs Preference
6. Callable Equity Share
7. Concept of Short vs. Long.
8. Securities Lending and Borrowing
Nice to Have
1. Linkages of Equity to the other market segments
2. Impact of various corporate actions
3. Understand the PNL impact of the equity trading
Fixed Income Products
1. Overview of Fixed Income Markets, Understanding Fixed Income securities
2. Trade Economics of Fixed Income
3. Debt & Money Markets
4. Type of Bonds - By Issuer/By Pay off
5. Concept of Yield (YTM), Accrued Interest, Clean/Dirty Price and DCC
6. Relationship between interest, price and yield of a bond
Nice to Have
1. Introduction to Securitization (CDO, CMO, MBS, ABS)
2. Bonds Yield Curves
3. Complex FI Products
4. Understand the PNL impact of the fixed income trading
1. What are derivatives : Forward, Future, Option
2. Rationale for trading
3. How does each derivative work?
4. Option (Expiry Styles / payoff)
5. Future (Margin management)
6. Trade Components
7. Who pays, and why?
Nice to Have
1. Derivatives using various Equity and FI securities.
2. Understand the PNL impact of the derivatives trading
1. Understands at least the need of a Regulation.
2. Understand the process for reporting to Regulators.
3. Understands 2-3 regulations.
4. Understands the reporting requirements for at least 1 Regulation
Nice to Have
1. Understands 4-5 regulations.
2. Understands the reporting requirements for 2-3 Regulations
3. Understands most of the regulations.
4. Understands the reporting requirements all regulations in point 1
Mandatory Technical Skills
1. Have worked/Have knowledge of any kind of SQL programming either in academics/firm
2. Understand syntax and function of sql programming of any choice (Sql-server/Oracle/Sybase/MySql)
è Select , Distinct , Where , And & Or , Order By , Insert Into , Update , Delete , Injection , Select Top , Like , Wildcards , In , Between , Aliases , Joins , Inner Join , Left Join , Right Join , Full Join , Union , Select Into , Into Select , Create DB , Create Table , Constraints , Not Null , Unique , Primary Key , Foreign Key , Check , Default , Create Index , Drop , Alter , Auto Increment , Views , Dates , Null Values , Null Functions , Data Types , DB Data Types
3. Generic Functions like -
4. , Functions , Avg() , Count() , First() , Last() , Max() , Min() , Sum() , Group By , Having , Ucase() , Lcase() , Mid() , Len() , Round() , Now() , Format()
Nice to Have
1. Understand database design, normalization; improve performance with indexes/partitions, Different perspective on the data with views, stored procs, triggers. Know how to write queries, subqueries, and user defined functions.
2. Understand data warehouse, data marts, data protection against data degradation and sql injection. Performance factors related to SQL clauses, Isolation level with specified SQL clauses, Select appropriate join operation and recognizing join coding convention, Coding joins with nested expressions, coding subqueries, correlated subqueries. Understand RDBMS, SQL, DDL, DML, Understand page, data structure behind and performance improvement with known reason against selected technique. Groom team, aware of appropriate contacts.
XML + XSD + XSLT
1. Have basic understanding of XML, XSD and XSLT
2. Have created XML using the XSLT and validated using XSD.
Nice to Have
1. Ability to create and modify basic XSLT, XSD and generate and Validate XML. Able to parse XML using both DOM/SAM parser. Able to enrich and fetch value from XML using the Xpath. Able to understand all the basic functions used under XSLT for traversing through data and performing data operations.
2. Able to debug the XSLT and have extensive knowledge of the standard XSD Framework. Able to write complex XSLT and XSD. Able to implement any Transformation and Report generation using XML techniques
1. Have basic understanding of Excel.
2. Able to create and format table, basic Sort and filter.
3. Basic formulas and features like : SUM, Multiplication, Division, AVERAGE, COUNT NUMBERS, MAX and MIN, V-Lookup, TEXT Functions, DATE Functions, Sorting, Comparing, PivotTable, Conditional formation.
Nice to Have
1. Able to create Excel for record tracking and use existing tools to Consolidate data, Subtotals, Usage of Charts , Formatting charts , Grouping Ungrouping subtotal, Dropdown list, Paste Special, Data Validation, Subtotaling, Filtering and Advanced Filtering.
2. Macros and should be aware of all the tools under developer tab (VBA developer)
Specific Qualifications (if required)
Mandatory Soft Skills
1. Structured and Organised
2. Good Listening and Communication skills
3. Good at Articulation, Elicitation over various mode of communication like Calls/Meetings/Mails/Documents
4. Delivery-focused with a good eye for detail
5. Comfortable working with the offshore/onshore teams in a multi diversity environment
6. Willing to share knowledge and skills with other team members whilst able to work independently
Behavioural Skills: (Please select up to 4 skills)
Ability to collaborate / Teamwork
Ability to deliver / Results driven
Personal Impact / Ability to influence
Transversal Skills: (Please select up to 5 skills)
Ability to develop and adapt a process
Ability to develop and leverage networks
Ability to manage / facilitate a meeting, seminar, committee, training…
Ability to understand, explain and support change
Bachelor Degree or equivalent
At least 5 years
Other/Specific Qualifications (if required)
1. Agile Development / Scrum Methodologies / Scrum Master
2. Knowledge of the Global Markets or Regulatory domain
3. Knowledge of Regulatory Reporting (Emir, Dodd Frank, MIFID2)
4. Experience of project management
5. Technical background appreciated