MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
The Finance Americas COO department ensures that appropriate solutions are put in place for the Finance (accounting) and Tax organization to meet their business objectives. The team acts as the bridge for the Finance and Tax organization to various departments within the BNP Paribas group, mainly the Business, PMO and Technology organizations in New York, New Jersey, California, Montreal, Mumbai, London and Paris.
The role resides within FCOO’s Finance Implementation Projects (FIP) team that works on a wide range of projects simultaneously arising from business and regulatory changes and strategic initiatives. The team is also responsible for the reengineering efforts of existing applications to improve functionality and efficiency. The team also provides first line user support through training, research and responding to general queries.
Candidate Success Factors:
Candidates will be measured on the following four performance drivers that will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
The Business Analyst has broad-based responsibilities for the functional design, specification and deployment of Finance Systems and Process changes initiatives at both a Legal Entity and IHC level. The candidate will work as a team member of projects. General responsibilities include:
- Primarily support the application of the accounting policy and validation of Chart of Accounts (CoA) in North America Region (NAR) Finance General Ledger to meet financial and regulatory reporting requirements under FCOO FIP governance.
- Elicit, analyse, and document user requirements and business processes.
- Undertake data assessment, data gap analysis and remediation.
- Implement Operational Accounting schemas throughout product lifecycle.
- Develop functional specification, requirements memo for IT development.
- Plan and manage User Acceptance Testing and migration testing up to successful delivery of end-product or remediation solution.
- Manage issues and escalate effectively.
- Ensure on-time quality delivery of projects and tasks assigned.
- Participate in project planning and cost estimates.
- Liaise with cross-functional teams (business groups, IT and PMO organizations) in New York, New Jersey, Montreal, Mumbai, London and Paris to devise strategic and well-thought solutions to multitude of business initiatives.
- Facilitate working group meetings with effective presentation materials and documentation; prepare agendas, document-meeting outcomes and communicate to stakeholders and management
- Support enhancement efforts of the overall control environment, including upstream processes and controls.
Specific responsibilities for the Chart of Accounts and Operational Account Schemas/Accounting Static Control role:
- Propose application of the accounting policy in North America Region (NAR) Finance General Ledger Chart of Accounts. This includes the definition of Operational Accounting Schemas throughout product lifecycle for new products, businesses, source systems and/or new accounting standards and validation of accounting in General Ledger (GL).
- Analyze and document business requirements for modifications to the Chart of Accounts, and propose solutions based on the published data model standard.
- Analyze, propose and validate upstream/sub-ledger to General ledger and downstream reporting Chart of Accounts mapping and change requirements based on group standards.
- Propose standardize accounting schemas and reporting Chart of accounts within NAR Finance and coordinate alignment of the General Ledger’s accounting schemas across common products with London and Head-office.
- Establish a governance process for maintenance of the Operational Accounting Schemas, effectively monitor changes to existing schemas and update and maintain the Operational Accounting Schema library accordingly.
- Remediate inconsistencies in the General Ledger across accounts, products, legal entities and source systems.
- Define and implement the framework of first level controls.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- 7 to 9 years of work experience in the field of accounting and / or accounting systems (i.e. upstream to general ledger and downstream) and implementation in the financial services industry.
- Qualified CPA / CMA / CA / ACCA / University Degree (Finance).
- Strong technical accounting background in the financial services industry (Ex: Corporate and Investment Bank, Prime and Hedge Fund Services, Investment Management, etc.)
- Experience working with accounting and reporting of complex financial products (Ex: Derivatives, Forex, Equities, Fixed Income, Treasury, Loan Syndication, Supply Chain and Trade Finance, etc.) with deep understanding of product lifecycles and associated accounting events.
- Experience in Business Analysis (Accounting and Reporting) and Application Testing (accounting interpreter, sub ledger, general ledger and reporting tools) in financial services industry.
- Detail-oriented approach with problem solving mindset and ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively challenge and apply professional skepticism with the goal of providing strategic solutions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to explain complex issues clearly and concisely to audiences of varying technical or accounting levels.
- Ability to work effectively in geographically dispersed cross-functional teams.
- Experience in drafting Operational Accounting Schema for financial products strongly preferred.
- Knowledge in Chart of Accounts.
- Knowledge of accounting standards - IFRS and/or US GAAP are of interest.
- Knowledge of Business analysis and project management skills including Microsoft Office, SQL preferred.
- Fluency in one of more of these languages preferred: French, Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- Knowledge of emerging solutions and analytic tools preferred, e.g. robotics, Alteryx, AI etc.
A recruitment policy that promotes equity and diversity:
Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
We pride ourselves in applying non-discrimination rules to all our recruitments.
We will only contact the candidates selected who meet the job requirements in terms of training and experience.
About BNP Paribas
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 195,000 employees, including more than 148,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
About BNP Paribas in Canada
In Canada, BNP Paribas is one of the dominant foreign banks in the country and is committed to building its platform even further. Since becoming the operational hub for the Group’s activities in North America in 2013, it has grown significantly to reach more than 700 employees and is expected to continue growing in the coming years. With the continued development of technology and financial fields, BNP Paribas Canada continues to attract experts with diverse backgrounds as well as young and ambitious talent from across the globe. With the international mobility and capacity that very few companies can offer, BNP Paribas prides itself in providing a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow.