BSA/AML Investigator (Operations Adherence)
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
Delivers subject matter expertise primarily inspecting Currency Transaction reviews and investigations of simple suspicious activity alerts/cases and /or delivers subject matter expertise inspecting Customer Due Diligence (“CDD”). Responsible for reviewing the preparation of and filing Suspicious Activity Reports (“SAR”) on behalf of the Bank by ensuring work product reflects sound judgment and strong adherence to the procedures associated with producing and filing SARs. Conducts timely inspection activities to verify that all regulatory requirements and/or Bank policies and procedures are being met, together with completion of CDD.
Essential Job Functions
· Inspects the investigation, analysis and documentation of alerts and/or cases pertaining to cash structuring, transactions involving bank designated high risk countries (HRC), wire transfers, commercial loan payments, and reports from branches or business areas regarding guidelines and timeframes; and/or inspects the performance and documentation of customer due diligence (CDD).
· Inspects Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) for submission to FinCEN and other appropriate law enforcement or regulatory agencies which may include 314b analysis and review as well as fulfillment of law enforcement requests.
· Inspects Currency Transaction reviews to include CTR Exemption, Daily CTR Filings, Manually deleted CTR’s, and Monetary Instrument Reporting
· Compiles data and maintains records and files necessary to assure efficient and consistent reporting of inspections of BSA Operations work product.
· Ability to interpret technical procedures, government regulations, and complex and sophisticated business documents such as financial statements, invoices, trade finance documentation, and letters of credit.
· Ability to identify (and make judgment of) areas of significant risk and/or systemic issues and make process improvement recommendations to senior management.
· Ability to assist team managers in coaching and mentoring staff as well as providing subject matter expertise and guidance to team regarding quality key performance indicators in BSA Investigations, CDD/EDD and CTR work products.
Other Job Duties
· Ability to liaise with Corporate Security to ensure consistent policies, procedures and processes and inspects SAR Filings for submission to FinCEN and other appropriate law enforcement or regulatory agencies
· Ability to develop and maintain policies and procedures for department production processes and/or functions
· Performs other duties as assigned
4 years+ total financial services related work experience and 3 years+ with BSA/AML, CDD or EDD, and / or conducting and managing financial investigations and/or research such as bank operations, corporate security, compliance, and legal areas including criminal and/or civil litigation, researching, comprehensive reporting and documentation, and pattern recognition.
Preferred: 3 years+ experience investigating complex financial crimes and/or BSA violations in a financial institution and/or law enforcement agency.
High School Diploma or GED required
Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s/Advanced Degree preferred
Preferred license(s) or certification(s)
CAMS, CFCS, CFE, or other industry-recognized certification
• Strong knowledge of AML processes, communication of, and adherence to, the procedures of AML compliance functions knowledge is critical to both conducting SAR determinations and / or conducting CDD reviews.
• Thorough knowledge of investigative techniques including transaction analysis, evidence gathering and demonstrated research and/or pattern recognition skills
• Detailed analytical and research skills including use of online research tools and report writing
• Ability to work independently and display initiative
• Detailed planning and organizing skills
• Ability to follow specific goals and meet required deadlines
• Meaningful AML investigations experience; quality and depth of experience is more important than number of years of experience
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.