BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
Business Area / Department Overview
In charge of periodic control (third line of defense), Inspection Generale carries out the function of internal audit and contributes to the protection of the activity and reputation of the BNP Paribas Group.
Inspection Generale provides an objective assurance of Risk Control to BNPP Group operations globally and is headed by the Inspecteur General who reports directly to the Group CEO.
Within Inspection Generale (IG), you will operate as a member of the Hub UK, which is a geographical Audit Hub, covering all activities in the UK.
The Hub has several distinct audit teams (around 70 auditors), all based in the UK. These teams are split by business activity covering all activities within their area of responsibility. Each team is headed by a direct report to the Head of Hub, who supervises the audit for the activities he/she is responsible for. The Head of Hub reports to a Deputy Head of IG Head Office.
The Hub’s remit is to provide audit services to the Businesses, Operations and Functions in the UK in close liaison with Senior Management and Head Office entities. There is also a strong coordination to be expected with other Hubs. The main focus is to help the organisation accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the Governance, Risk management, and internal Control (GRC) processes.
Global Markets assignments cover all markets products (Fixed Income, Equity, Commodities) and all cash and derivative activities.
ALM-T assignments cover such topics as Liquidity, Interest Rate Risk in the Banking Book (IRRBB), MLT Funding and Treasury operations.
Assignments can be transversal and/or thematic as well covering a specific activity or topic across several product or business lines.
The Audit Hub provides employees with an excellent grounding in all aspects of the business, and regular interaction with Management enables strong relationships to be built, allowing a robust understanding in all aspects of the businesses.
Inspection Generale is recognised internally as a key talent pool within the BNP Paribas Group.
Having performed successfully in this role, the individual will have the benefit of a broad range of career opportunities within the BNP Paribas Group - both within Internal Audit and wider business lines/functions; in the UK and abroad. A comprehensive training programme is in place to ensure continued professional development.
Purpose & Scope of Role
The Auditor will play an active role in the UK, performing risk-based audit reviews as part of a team and will issue recommendation when gaps and weaknesses in the GRC are identified.
The role performs a full range of audit tasks (risk assessment, closure of recommendation, incident analysis, etc.) and takes part in the different steps of an audit mission, in order to provide an objective view of the businesses and functions in the audited perimeter.
There is also opportunity to work in joint teams (across Hubs/IG) covering different topics in a perimeter beyond the UK.
Key Responsibilities of Role
- As an Auditor in the Global Markets and ALMT team, you will bring a systematic approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of the Governance, Risk management and internal Control (GRC) processes of BNP Paribas.
- You will participate in audit assignments interacting with senior management (for instance Global Markets Global Business Line Heads or UK senior management), provide conclusions and recommendations, and contribute to comprehensive and value-adding audit reports.
- To thrive in this role you will have:
- Knowledge of Global Markets and ALM Treasury activities gained within previous roles/experience
- Worked in one of these areas: market risk, credit counterparty risk, quant, sales or trading, trade support or business management
- Any direct audit experience
- A control mind set and demonstrable ability to communicate and synthesise information
- Willingness to travel (mainly UK and Paris)
- Specific responsibilities associated with this role include:
- Participation in audit assignments as a member of an audit team with responsibilities to include:
- Ensuring the timely performance of his or her parts of the assignment whilst having regard to the main risks detailed in the Risk and Related Control Matrix (RCM).
- Ensuring that the Head of Assignment is kept updated with the progress of the assignment on a continuous basis.
- Preparation of summaries and conclusions to the phases of the assignment under his or her responsibility for review and approval by the Head of Assignment and lead the presentation of these to the relevant Auditees.
- Input of all missions and associated documentation to the required Hub and IG standard into the Hub audit drive and IG tool (UNIK).
- To assist the Head of Global Markets and ALMT Audit in performing other audit related tasks such as the annual risk assessment, requests for audit recommendation closure etc.
- Perform or participate in ad-hoc projects and investigations including Quality Assurance Reviews, Regulatory assignments and follow up of IG missions; non-lead role in detailed investigation of incidents (Special Assignment status).
- Contribute to the maintenance and development of the Internal Audit department, in particular the tools and techniques used.
Experience, Qualifications & Competencies
- Any of the following experiences prior to joining IG:
- Experience in market activities
- Experience in ALM-Treasury activities
- Experience in model development or model validation departments
- Audit Experience related to the above
- Excellent adaptation skills
- Ability to work in a team in a stimulating and demanding environment
- Ability to lead interviews
- Negotiating skills
- Capacity to analyse and synthesize information
- Good writing skills
- Fluent English (both written and spoken)
- Master degree in Finance, Risk Management, Quantitative Finance, Accounting, Economics & Financial Engineering, Financial Market and Investment
- Financial Risk Management (FRM) certified
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certified
Other competencies and skills
- Ability to collaborate / Teamwork
- Organizational skills
- Critical thinking
- Creativity & Innovation / Problem solving
- Communication skills - oral & written
- Client focused
- Attention to detail / rigor