BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
The IG Hub UK is a geographical Hub, covering all activities in the UK and Channel Islands.
The Hub has five audit teams. These teams are split by business activity covering all activities within their area of responsibility.
The Hub’s remit is to provide audit services to the Businesses, Operations and Functions in the UK and Channel Islands in close liaison with Senior Management and Head Office entities. The main focus is to help the organisation accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the governance, risk management, and internal control processes. The GM & ALMT team within the IG Hub is responsible for auditing the Global Markets and ALMT teams and related activities.
This role will serve as a senior independent reviewer and will be accountable for providing high quality and in-depth analyses and observations to the business and supporting functions on behalf of the GM & ALMT Team utilising the support of other team members where necessary. The role is to be an active participant and, where appropriate, leader of risk-based audit reviews, and will assist the GM & ALMT Team to issue recommendations to remediate any identified issues and weaknesses.
- Leads or acts as a key resource in IG assignments, ad-hoc projects and investigations, accountable for the timely performance of the role’s own duties whilst also validating the work of other team members involved in an assignment. At all times, the role holder will have regard for the main risks detailed in the Risk and related Control Matrix and, where acting in a management capacity, will plan and organise an assignment (including the allocation of staff) as well as ensure that all missions, associated documentation and IG standard are inputted into relevant tools as required by the relevant processes.
- Completes other audit related tasks (such as the continuous/annual risk assessment or requests for audit recommendation closure, archiving, preparing restitution slides, and inputting findings, recommendations) to ensure that audits are effectively performed, maintained and coordinated within BNP Paribas Audit Methodologies and Tools, procedures, guidelines and expectations.
- Leads the performance of the continuous monitoring and annual risk assessment processes in relation to audit areas, working with senior team members (including the Deputy Head of Hub, GM & ALMT) in order to ensure a consistent and compliant approach..
- Brings market insights, leading market knowledge and best practices to the IG department to drive innovation, with the aim of maintaining and developing the tools and techniques used in response to changing market and business needs.
- Keeps relevant stakeholders, including the Deputy Head of Hub, GM & ALMT and assignment Supervisors, suitably updated on progress of assignments and work at all times so that they have a good understanding of workstream status.
- Supports junior team members on assignments with their assigned work and contacting other members of the IG team and contributes to their development, including by preparing their end of assignment appraisals (PMRs) for discussion with the Deputy Head of Hub, GM & ALMT.
- Monitors progress in relation to post-audit recommendations related to the GM & ALMT specialism to evaluate them as specified in the appropriate procedures, and facilitates their closure.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with key stakeholders in the teams being audited, and operational managers across the business to ensure that a high quality integrated IG service is provided.
- Acts as a point of escalation for more junior staff to support them where problems are more complex and require sophisticated analysis or experience to ensure that they are able to perform and provide a consistent service to the business.
- Will be required to provide certain managerial, coaching or appraisal functions for junior roles allocated to any assignments being led / resourced by the role in order to support the development of talent in the team.
- Contributes to the maintenance and development of the data analytics tools and methodologies used by the GM & ALMT team within IG.
Skills & Experience Required
- Professional qualification required with knowledge related to:
- Capital Markets activities (Front Office, Middle Office, Back Office) – including strong knowledge in vanilla and structured financial instruments (FX, Rates, Equity, Credit), products lifecycle (Pre-Trade, Trade, Post Trade), Risk Management; and
- Asset and Liability Management and Treasury.
- Proven experience in Risk or Capital Markets activities from Banks or Internal/External Audits or Consulting Firms.
- Significant knowledge of a wide range of IG principles, processes, regulations and legislation appropriate for the GM & ALMT team and ability to translate knowledge and experience into recommendations to improve team operating practices.
- Excellent analytical skills, including ability to understand quickly the critical steps in a process, synthesise and process complex information and understand the related risks of various natures, including use of data.
- Strong people management and communication skills with an ability to work with individuals to set individual objectives and manage performance to ensure their delivery.
- Excellent written and oral English skills in order to articulate technical issues associated to work area.
- Thorough and organised with an ability to prioritise and work under time-pressure.
- Computer literacy and a good understanding of relevant software.
- Academic background such as a Masters level qualification in Financial Mathematics or similar subject area.
- Good knowledge of Data Analytics, C++, Python and VBA.
It is preferred that the role holder will be willing to travel from time to time to perform their duties (in particular to Paris).
BNP Paribas promotes equality of opportunity and is committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
As an employee with BNP Paribas London Branch, we want to make sure that you are rewarded for your commitment. As such, you will be entitled to our award winning benefits package which includes a generous holiday allowance of at least 34 days (including bank holidays), a non-contributory pension of 12%, private healthcare, GP service and dental cover all as standard, along with a number of personal insurances such as income protection, life assurance and personal accident insurance. We believe in ensuring all our employees have a positive work life balance so in addition you will also have access to a variety of flexible lifestyle benefits such as cycle to work and green car leasing schemes, season ticket loans and reduced cinema and gym membership to name a few.