Associate - Level 2 Accounting Control (Chennai)
About BNP Paribas Group:
BNP Paribas Group is a leading European bank with a strong global footprint across 72 markets and more than 202,000 employees. The Group provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships
About BNP Paribas India Solutions:
Established in 2005, BNP Paribas India Solutions is a wholly owned subsidiary of BNP Paribas Group, a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. With delivery centers located in Mumbai and Chennai, we are a 24x7 global delivery center. We partner various business lines of BNP Paribas such as Corporate and Institutional Banking, Wealth Management, Retail Banking through three verticals - Information Technology, Operations and Finance Shared Services.
About Businessline/Function :
The Accounting Control team performs a key role in maintaining the quality of the accounting control environment that underpins the Finance reporting processes: Group Head Office reporting, Statutory reporting, Regulatory reporting and internal Performance Management reporting for the Regional platform.
The objective of the AC Level 2 control team is to provide independent assurance that Level 1 controls (i.e. controls that are performed to ensure the accounting data is complete and accurate) are properly executed and that Group, CIB and local accounting control policies (inc the minimum control standards defined in the Standard Accounting Control Plan) are implemented appropriately. This Level 2 control framework includes periodic detailed testing of the documented controls that underpin the Regional accounting ledger balances and specific testing/review of balances and processes in accordance with the BNP Paribas control policies.
The role will require regular interaction with other Finance teams in Region and Mumbai and other control functions and provides the role holder with a broad view of the activities and processes in the Finance function and other functions on which Finance is dependent.
Finance Shared Services
Business Line / Function:
Manager/AVP – EMEA L2 Controls
Number of Direct Reports:
Directorship / Registration:
Contribute to the performance of 2nd level accounting control of BNP Paribas entities in Europe.
- Drive the account owner sign-off and first level accounting control certification process
- Perform and document accounting controls and analysis
- Contribute to the automation of certain accounting control processes and the standardisation of booking schemes among entities.
- Contribute to the performance of 2nd level accounting controls on a list of key areas defined by the BNP Paribas Standard Accounting Control Group Plan, including deal and position reconciliations, nostro reconciliations, manual entries, dormant accounts, risk rating and provisioning, intercompany reconciliation, internal deals, FX sell-down etc.
- Identify system / control deficiencies and propose solution to improve the accounting control environment
- Ensure that the Accounting Control Repository Database is updated with the changes in accounts, controls and ownership
- Based on the Accounting Control Repository Database, generate and release the Account owner sign-off and first level control certification packages
- Monitor account and 1st level control sign-off and escalate problems identified.
- Contribute to the preparation of the “Entity Control Reports” that provides Chief Financial Officers with an overview of accounting control outcome on a monthly basis.
- Monitor Accounting Control outcomes through key performance and key risk indicators
- Prepare ad hoc control memo upon request when an issue is identified.
- Ensure the good coordination with the Regional Financial Reporting team, in particular whenever an accounting issue needs to be addressed
- Participate to Finance Projects linked to Accounting Controls
- Contribute to BNP Paribas operational permanent control framework.
- Report incidents and accounting issues.
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
1. Qualified Chartered Accountant
2. Accounting degree or equivalent
3. 1 to 2 years experiences on accounting audit or accounting control
4. Banking (mandatory)
5. IFRS knowledge (Preferable)
6. Solid understanding of financial instruments and developed skills in analysis of business supporting processes from accounting control perspective
7. Knowledge of Investment banking products
8. Strong organizational skills, rigorous, and self-disciplined
9. Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining a strong control environment
10. Good communication skills, (i.e. writing, listening, presentation)
11. Advanced technical skills (i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
12. Former audit experience or experiences on the accounting controls within a Finance function in Banking and Financial Services (mandatory)
Specific Qualifications (if required)
· MS Excel (at least intermediate)
Behavioural Skills: (Please select up to 4 skills)
Attention to detail / rigor
Ability to deliver / Results driven
Communication skills - oral & written
Transversal Skills: (Please select up to 5 skills)
Ability to understand, explain and support change
Ability to develop and adapt a process
Choose an item.
Choose an item.
At least 2 years
Other/Specific Qualifications (if required)
Qualified Chartered Accountant
Accounting degree or equivalent
1-2 years experiences on accounting audit or accounting control
IFRS knowledge (Preferable)
Solid understanding of financial instruments and developed skills in analysis of business supporting processes from accounting control perspective
Knowledge of Investment banking products
Strong organizational skills, rigorous, and self-disciplined
Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining a strong control environment
Good communication skills, (i.e. writing, listening, presentation)
Advanced technical skills (i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
Former audit experience or experiences on the accounting controls within a Finance function in Banking and Financial Services (mandatory)