ROLE DESCRIPTION AND PURPOSE
We have an excellent career opportunity for a regional ESG research lead in our Hong Kong office. The Asia ESG Research Lead will play a generalist role supporting the global ESG Research team to assess the ESG performance of companies, (sub)-sovereigns and other entities, as well as to conduct thematic research focused on Energy transition, Environmental sustainability and Equality and inclusive growth (the “3Es”), with an emphasis on the Chinese market. The role will also support the implementation of BNPPAM’s broader Global Sustainability Strategy including related to ESG integration, responsible business conduct, stewardship and thematic product development. As the regional lead the successful candidate will manage a team of analysts across various offices and will lead the expansion of our sustainability research coverage in the region.
In addition the successful candidate will work within the Sustainability Centre (members located in Paris, London, Toronto, New York, Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai), which undertakes innovative research and policy development, guides BNPP AM’s investment stewardship and industry engagement activities, and supports investment teams across asset classes in accessing, integrating and reporting on ESG indicators. This is a unique opportunity to assume an ESG leadership role within a leading asset manager with an ambitious sustainable investment agenda.
- Bespoke Research Projects: Lead on the development and delivery of specific research projects, such as relating to the development of ESG ratings for Chinese sub-sovereign entities and Chinese corporations, including those 100% owned by sub-sovereigns and only active in the local bond market.
- Sector Research: Support ESG analysts in undertaking sector reviews, including the research and scoring of companies to provide insights into ESG risks and opportunities, address forward looking views with a focus on Energy Transition, Environmental Sustainability and Equality (‘3Es”), and identify related points to address via engagement. Potentially assume global responsibility for ESG research in a given sector.
- ESG Integration: Support the refinement of BNPP AM’s proprietary ESG scoring platform, including supporting the assessment of how the scoring platform can evolve (e.g. via the inclusion of new data) and company-specific data corrections. Likely focus to be on data related to the Chinese market or related to assigned sector.
- Thematic Research – Macro: Exploring the intersection between the “3Es” and the broader political, investment and/or economic environment in Asia.
- Product Development: Contribute to product development particularly within BNPP AM’s growing environmentally-themed and socially-themed product areas.
- Policy Development: Help to evolve our current slate of ESG-related policies to include appropriate consideration of issues specific to the Chinese market with particular attention to the topics of coal use and human rights.
- Stewardship: Support engagement activities with Chinese issuers on ESG issues, including engagements related to our responsible business conduct policy, thematic engagements on the “3Es” and voting. Help enhance our voting approach and voting-related engagements with Chinese companies.
- Stakeholders – Internal: Support effective coordination between the Sustainability Centre and a range of internal stakeholders (investment teams, marketing, client relations, etc.); focus to be on portfolio managers in Asian.
- Stakeholders – External: Represent BNPP AM in regional initiatives focused on promoting the advancement of sustainable finance. Act as a liaison for the SC with clients, regulators, media and other external stakeholders in the region. Speak at conferences, write articles and otherwise represent the firm externally. Work alongside the regional stewardship lead to conduct corporate engagements where appropriate.
- General: Support the contribution of content to due diligence processes and contribute to marketing and business development materials reflecting the firm’s approach. Support the Research Team head in setting and managing for planned growth in emerging markets.
KEY INTERNAL / EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Internal: Sustainability Centre / Investments
- External: Companies and relevant industry groups
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Approximately 7-10 years’ experience in investment analysis with a minimum of 2 years on sustainability.
- Relevant academic background.
- Some experience with people management.
- Strong knowledge of and interest in sustainability or related subjects.
- Strong knowledge of the Chinese and other regional capital markets.
- Proven ability to work effectively both individually and as part of an international team and with multiple internal/external stakeholders.
- Fluent in English a requirement. Fluent in Mandarin a strong plus.
- French language a plus but not required.