In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
Accurate accounting treatment and effective controls within the Finance function is essential to an organization’s success. It is imperative for a Finance team (one of the largest and most diverse users of data across a bank) to put in place the frameworks and tools necessary to meet these requirements.
Being part of the Finance Permanent Control team, the primary purpose of this role is to 1) act as 1st LOD (line of defense) in the APAC Finance Control framework, covering functions such as reporting, tax, procurement, outsourcing etc. and 2) advise local Finance teams on accurate accounting treatment.
This role will be exposed to a variety of experiences including accounting, advisory, project management, and framework implementation.
This role will report into the Head of APAC Finance OPC and focus on control and accounting advisory topics.
• Act as advisor whom receive enquiries from various APAC local finance sites about accounting treatment and be able to either respond accurately or coordinate the enquiry to personnel with relevant knowledge. There will be a historic accounting advisory database kept by the team which can be drawn reference to when coming up with advice.
• Perform ad hoc transaction accounting analysis and provide accounting advices on new/complex transactions including, but not limited to:
- IFRS 9 Business Model and SPPI test
- Fee recognition
- FV loan
• Maintain a log which contains details of various accounting and non-accounting related enquiries which the team has advised. Monitor on GAP validation status for issues that are defined as sensitive accounting issues as per relevant policies & procedures
• Handle ad hoc projects/queries as requested by Management
• Support managers (RCSA owner) in (a) identifying their respective processes and associated risks; (b) ensuring accurate controls are designed and implemented with the validation from relevant management and (c) ensuring risky processes are supported with relevant procedures
• Supports managers in the designing, defining and updating control plans in accordance to outcome of risk assessment, regulations and other risk events.
• Coordinates the implementation of operational controls, analysis of control results and formalization of analyses.
• Perform L1c controls for Tax and transversal finance activities (procurement, outsourcing and CDO)
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
• Strong technical accounting skills (accounting advisory experience would be an advantage but not mandatory)
• Banking experience and knowledge on banking/CIB products and process
• Control oriented background and rigorous for implementation with culture of controls; experience in control testing will be an advantage
• Good communication skills and ability to foster good working relationships including outside of Finance
• Good presentation and project management skills
• Driving investigation and leading enhancement projects
• Hunger to learn new process and data flows in a complex banking environment
• Self-organized, with strong ability to anticipate, plan and priorities issues
• Excellent skills in Excel/ Word
Specific Qualifications (if required)
• Qualified CPA member
• 5+ years of post-qualified experience in Finance/Accounting Control and advisory.
• Fluent in English