About BNP Paribas:
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 74 countries, with more than 192,000 employees, including more than 146,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
Americas Compliance is an independent governance function headed up by the Managing Director and Chief Compliance Officer for the Americas (Americas CCO) based in New York with responsibility for all Compliance activities in the United States (comprised of business lines rolling up to International Financial Services (IFS) and CIB) and CIB activities in Canada and Latin America. Reporting directly into the Americas CCO is the Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer (COO) for Americas Compliance. The COO is, among other things, responsible for Compliance Risk Assessment; Compliance Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) of Compliance-owned process operational risks; and other related permanent control activities.
Demonstrate BNP Paribas’s commitment to compliance by managing and administering a comprehensive Compliance Risk Assessment Program (including for both Financial Security (AML, BSA, Sanctions) and non-Financial Security methodologies) to serve as the foundation point within the overall Compliance Program for the BNP Paribas Americas/IHC/US CIB operations and activities. The Program requires the identification, measurement, and assessment of the compliance risk associated with applicable laws and regulations by the development and deployment of a methodology that determines ratings for Inherent Risk, the Control Environment and Residual Risk; the Program also identifies control gap issues that may require remediation as well as assessing whether business activities and operations remain within an established compliance risk profile. As a Compliance Risk Assessment Officer, promote and utilize consistent Compliance Risk Assessment methodologies and practices across the BNP Paribas operating entities in the U.S. and globally as applicable and, in this regard, converse with IHC stakeholders and IHC Operating Entities (covering BoW, CIB, FHB and US AM) compliance risk assessment officers, domain leads, business contacts as well as representatives from Group Compliance in Paris, Global Financial Security (GFS) US, and other relevant parties.
This position’s scope covers Compliance activities in the U.S. and coordination with other Compliance Risk Assessment Officers including in Canada and Latin America whose activities are CIB oriented; for IHC alignment, coordination will be required with Compliance Officers from other US IHC Operating Entities (i.e., BoW, CIB, FHB and US AM):
- Assist with the identification/confirmation of products and services for all assessment units in scope and the adjustment of assessment units as needed;
- Assist with the development and ongoing maintenance of an inventory of risk profiles and/or statements to categorize regulatory requirements and obligations;
- Assist with the development and ongoing maintenance of an inventory of key controls (controls library) implemented by the assessment units/areas to mitigate compliance risk;
- Coordinate with Regulatory Identification and Change Management, Compliance Coverage Officers and business contacts as needed to identify applicable regulations for the assessment units/areas based on products and services for all assessment units;
- Assist with the identification and mapping of assessment unit controls to the applicable risk profiles and/or statements;
- Assist with training and coordinating the execution of Compliance Risk Assessment campaigns including determinations of Inherent Risk, Adequacy of the Control Environment, Residual Risk and the identification of control gaps;
- Assist with the development of databases and questionnaires to execute the risk assessments, report on risk assessment results, and securely store all risk assessment documentation;
- Assist with quality assurance reviews of risk assessment results to review consistency and completeness of responses given the scope, scale and size of the assessment unit/area, identifying and leveraging available data to support quality assurance reviews;
- Assist with the development of Compliance Risk Assessment reporting to facilitate quality assurance and analytical views; business review/challenge reviews; and presentations to appropriate governing bodies;
- In alignment with the methodology, ensure corrective action plans are recorded in the appropriate repository along with owner and target date; coordinate regular updating by issue owners and escalate as needed;
- In the spirit of continuous improvement, assist with the Identification of potential enhancements to the current compliance risk assessment methodologies, procedures, processes, tools and user interface, risk indicator inputs, analytics and reporting formats and provide suggestions on how to improve, add to, or streamline/converge current practices in the firm;
- Comply with external regulatory requirements and expectations; internal control standards; Group, Americas, IHC and Operating Entity policies, procedures and standards with regard to Compliance Risk Assessments as appropriate;
- Assist with Compliance-owned process operational Risk and Control Self-Assessments (RCSA) as needed; and
- Assist with related Compliance permanent control activities as needed.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- 1 to 3 years’ experience working for a financial services firm and/or self-regulatory organization with a focus on the compliance risk assessment function including methodologies to determine Inherent Risk, adequacy of the Control Environment, and Residual Risk.
- Experience in risk identification, assessment and analysis, and proficiency in writing concise and substantive commentary to summarize results.
- Ability to identify control gap issues; contribute to development of corrective action plans; and maintain issue tracking, follow-up and escalation as needed.
- Strong computer skills including MS Excel (including macros), Word, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent execution skills with the ability to work successfully under demanding deadlines and in a change management environment.
- Team player with ability to work collaboratively across Compliance not only on risk assessment work but with other complementary areas such as Regulatory Identification and Change Management; Compliance Coverage/Advisory; Policies, Procedures and Standards; Training; Independent Testing; and Reporting and Analytics.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with front and back office stakeholders and senior management.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Problem solving and root cause identification skills.
- BA or BS Degree a must.
- Working knowledge of U.S. banking regulations, securities, and commodities, including the rules and regulations of the FRB, SEC, CFTC and all exchanges and associations under such federal agencies, including FINRA, NYSE, CBOE, ISE, CME, NYMEX and ICE US; knowledge of retail banking regulations a plus.
- Ability to apply knowledge of rules and regulations to numerous types of trading activities and operational arrangements in addition to interpreting the effect of new regulations on these activities.
- Experience working with manual Compliance Risk Assessment processes as well as integrated automated Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) platforms.
- Prior experience creating databases and questionnaires with a focus on risk assessments or similar assessment processes (e.g., Operational Risk).
- Business case development skills.
- Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges.
FINRA Registrations Required:
- N/A, but Securities licenses a plus (e.g., Series 3, 4, 7, 9/10, 24)
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.