The Global Markets Group (“CMG”) is a newly created group within Global Banking at BNP Paribas responsible for all lending and debt advisory with particular focus on event driven situations including project and acquisition finance in support of the bank’s clients including Infrastructure Funds for which CMG retains coverage responsibility. Given the longstanding sector focus, energy, infrastructure and resources remain highly important (though not the sole) sectors of focus, with particular focus on supporting the transition to a low carbon economy across sectors in line with the bank’s net zero commitment by 2050. To that end, the bank is looking to build its presence in renewables, new energy and metals of the future. CMG is also responsible for sustainable finance where the bank has a leading presence globally as well locally where it has led market-leading transactions including the first syndicated sustainability linked loan and first green loan in Australia.
The primary responsibility of the role is to assist the CMG team with analytical and reporting assistance in the context of growing a profitable and sustainable business franchise in the energy and infrastructure sector within the region.
The analyst, in collaboration with its direct report(s) and the CMG team, will be responsible for:
- Due Diligence and industry research on behalf of the CMG team;
- Financial and Credit risk assessment on new and existing client files.
- Portfolio-wide management, prudential monitoring and timely reporting including new credit proposals, periodic waiver and amendment requests, client annual reviews (required to be undertaken both in written submissions and with financial modelling);
- Ensuring CMG’s portfolio is in managed in compliance with internal policies and guidelines;
- Prepare, read and manipulate financial models for existing clients, upcoming opportunities or transactions; and
- Budget analysis, modelling and reporting including wider responsibilities in regards to ad-hoc group reporting as necessary.
- Assistance with marketing and deal origination for financing products and advisory mandates;
- Assistance with due diligence on new and existing client files as required including assistance with execution responsibilities where directed; and
- Client facing support (together with the relevant Director or Vice President) through ongoing management of the client portfolio and in respect of new opportunities.
Performance shall be established by way of agreed objectives and assessed by following criteria:
- Quality and depth of analysis and demonstration of clarity of thought;
- Decisiveness and a willingness to make recommendations, and ability to justify these recommendations;
- Responsiveness and timely completion of reports, scopes and other written output required of the role;
- Ability to identify, analyse and communicate upon key risks and available mitigants for the bank;
- Initiative, innovation and contribution of ideas in a pro-active manner;
- Ability to meaningfully contribute to and work within a team environment; and
- Ability to engender trust with external stakeholders, colleagues, management and other BNPP’s internal stakeholders including risk, credit, legal and compliance departments and product partners through consistent demonstration of transparency, professionalism and clear and appropriate communication.
- Conduct – Operates at all time with high ethical standards.
- Attention to detail - Ensures accuracy and implements processes to ensure quality of output.
- Professionalism - Ensures high personal standards in all areas of work;
- Commercial Focus - Demonstrates awareness of the wider business market and the need to drive actions that lead to profitability. Understands how their contribution to business objectives can impact on profitability;
- Communication and Presentation
- Oral: Expressing ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Adjusting communication style to match the needs of the audience.
- Written: Expressing ideas clearly in all written documents. Using professional, appropriate language at all times, and adhering to the use of the BNPP Email Protocols.
- Strong customer focus - passionate about delivering best service to clients.
- Strong numerical and quantitative analysis skills - Understands and evaluates numerical data, tables, charts or graphs. Performs calculations, makes comparisons and combines quantitative information to present reasoned conclusions;
- Financial decision making - Undertakes actions requiring the analysis of financial information. Develops alternative courses of action or recommendations that are based on logical assumptions and factual information;
- Planning & Execution - Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages own time and resources to meet deadlines and quality standards;
- Resilience - Continues to work effectively and pursue goals when faced with obstacles, periods of change and uncertainty, or resistance from others. Maintains effectiveness in uncertain or ambiguous situations;
- Team Orientation - Works with the team and the broader organisation towards shared goals and treats all colleagues and clients as partners and with respect at all times; and
- Technical/professional knowledge - Demonstrates a satisfactory level of technical and professional skills/knowledge in job related areas. Keeps abreast of current developments and trends in area of expertise.
Specific Qualifications Required
- Tertiary degree qualified in finance, accounting, commerce, law and/or engineering;
- Post graduate business qualification (eg MBA, M. App. Fin.) desirable; and
- Previous experience within the Energy, Infrastructure and Resources sectors desirable.