BNP Paribas is a leading European bank with an international reach. It has a presence in 72 countries, with more than 192,000 employees – including more than 146,000 in Europe and over 4,000 in Portugal alone.
BNP Paribas is present in Portugal since 1985, having been one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, BNP Paribas has several entities operating directly in this territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
Worldwide, the Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
Role and Responsibilities
BNP Paribas aims at being a key global actor in the provisioning of public and private financial resources required for the global transition to a low carbon and green economy and achievement of the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
While many sustainability or positive impact projects and strategies could be financed through conventional or sustainable finance approaches (incl. labeled or KPI-related loans or bonds, sustainable supply chain financing), the viability of many others require more complex and tailor-made approaches. Such projects span across topics such as the fight against deforestation, land restoration, and transition to organic or regenerative agriculture; sustainable forest management and agroforestry; the improvement of water systems; payment for environmental services and conservation of natural resources; industrial energy efficiency; access to energy, distributed renewable energy and energy storage systems; circular economy, etc.
These projects pose certain operational, technical and financial challenges, especially in developing and least developed countries. They can be overcome through multi-stakeholder approach and credit enhancement mechanisms, including financial structure tranches, blended finance (co-financing, on-lending, guarantees) with DFIs and ECAs, corporate guarantees and technical assistance partnerships, as already illustrated in the Sustainable Finance Facilities.
The Advisor for Impact Finance will be responsible for coordinating, supporting and scaling-up BNP Paribas’ initiatives towards positive social and environmental impact financing. Reporting functionally to the Senior Strategic Sustainable Business advisor, he/she will collaborate with business teams and external stakeholders at both central and local levels to identify multi-stakeholder impact finance opportunities – particularly, the ones aligned with BNP Paribas’ corporate clients sustainability objectives. He/she will be in charge of bringing scale and efficiency to those financings through the organization of strategic partnerships around key sustainability priorities. He will also support and participate to internal and external discussions and events, allowing to deep dive into specific sustainability challenges and to identify key impact financing trends and opportunities.
As an Advisor for Impact Finance you will be responsible for:
- Create and/or support multi-stakeholder taskforces around the financing of positive impact projects, aligned with Group priorities (identification, concept notes, NDAs, etc.)
- Capitalize knowledge on existing Sustainable Finance Facilities and coordinate the implementation of additional sector/region-specific ones
- Engage with local business teams across the Group (incl. CIB, IRB) for the identification of clients willing to support positive impact projects
- Support Coverage, Métiers and Functions for the structuration of impact finance operations (standard partnership model, RfPs, advisory, etc.)
- Establish an adequate governance and reporting model for impact finance operations
- Realize continuous market-watch of significant impact finance deals and trends
- Formalize partnerships with Development Finance Institutions (DFIs), international donors, NGOs and consultants, in close collaboration with Official Institutions Coverage (OIC), Engagement, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Compliance and Legal teams
- Build and share knowledge base on impact finance and conservation finance, in close collaboration with experts and academics
- Raise awareness on sector-specific sustainability challenges and on projects / technologies aligned with the SDGs
- Participate to internal and external events and working groups related to Group key sustainability priorities / impact finance
- Propose and support BNP Paribas project submission to the Green Climate Fund or any similar international funds
- Master's Degree in Related Field
- Fluency in English is required; French is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Previous work experience in CSR or Sustainable Finance
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Orientation to detail and ability to concentrate
- Strong work ethic and sense of urgency
- Strong interview skills
- Strong organizational and prioritizing skills
- Ability to argue with leaders
Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients