In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal's Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
The Capital Markets team is a part of the Financial Accounting and Reporting Group. The main tasks of the team is to maintain the ledgers under its responsibilities for all the North American entities and maintain a proper control environment, to actively participate in the implementation of new accounting standards and projects with accounting impacts, and improve processes and create efficiencies to increase the added value of Corporate & Institutional Banking in the Region.
The members of the Global Markets Activities team are responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and control of the general ledgers for the entities and products under their respective responsibilities. When applicable, they coordinate investigations, review of ledgers and potential accounting adjustments with the operations and reporting teams that they support.
The team is responsible to :
- Perform month-end financial closing for their entities (under IFRS and US GAAP)
- Enforce controls and ensure that balance sheets are in balance; prepare balance sheet reconciliation schedules
- Pull together the data necessary to feed the profitability tools (Paradigm).
- Review ledgers, perform accounting entries and transaction analysis for a set of entities.
- Activities/entities are allocated in accordance with the accountant’s experience and the complexity/volume of transactions recorded by the entity. Activities include:
- Working with Operations to ensure the accurate reporting at deal-level or portfolio-level
- Performing second level review of the operational reconciliations performed by the back offices
- Preparing the transaction and revenue allocation by profit center for performance management purposes.
- Review daily transactional account activity/daily ledgers for posting errors and back-value transactions
- Review impairment on financial instruments in accordance with the Group rules
Perform monthly management revenue processing of assigned entities including, but not limited to:
- Reviewing, adjusting, and maintaining the profitability database
- Maintaining analytical balances
- Communicating and resolving differences with counterparts
- Analyze, reconcile, and review all accounts under their responsibility by performing a variance analysis of corresponding revenue/balance sheet items, highlighting trends, and following up on questions/ concerns
- Prepare and book daily/monthly entries as necessary (under IFRS and US GAAP)
- On a timely basis, provide complete and accurate financial data to the various reporting teams and to management for report production (under IFRS and US GAAP)
Provide assistance in responding to questions from the external auditors, Client Service Team, Operations, reporting teams and other by :
- Ensuring prompt resolution and follow-up of questions / requests for information
- Escalating problems / issues to the platform head
- Providing quality service to other teams / groups
- Ensuring prompt resolution and follow-up of questions / requests for information
Projects, Systems Support, Operational Process Improvements
- Participate in the upgrades/version releases of respective reporting tools, as well as system amendments/enhancements required to facilitate new/modified reporting requirements. In connection with this effort, assist in user acceptance testing and trouble-shooting after deployment.
- Assist in identifying operational process improvements in production, control procedures, and workflow organization to increase the team’s efficiency and effectiveness. Also assist in integrating and streamlining the reports under the team’s responsibility.
- Assist in implementing various changes of accounting schemas within the systems (IFRS and US GAAP)
- Assist operations with the review of complex transactions and how they will be managed in the systems, reported in the financial statements and in the performance management tools.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
- Ability to deliver/ be result driven: Be a self-starter and team player, able to work independently and collaboratively with various teams in a deadline-focused environment; strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to develop and leverage networks: Professional posture to develop and maintain key relationships with the business lines and back office transactional contacts;
- Analytical ability: ability to learn new systems and products quickly; effective analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
- Accounting: Working knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, both IFRS and US GAAP (an asset) and regulatory and tax accounting rules and regulations; Basic capital market products knowledge
- Accounting degree from a reputable university. CPA CA designation.
- Between 4 to 5 years of financial and/or management accounting experience, preferably from an accounting firm (Big 4 or medium-sized) or within the Financial Services/Banking Industry
- Excellent Excel skills (including pivot tables, VLOOKUP, SUMIF)
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada's Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified - Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **
Discover the different professions within BNP Paribas: Corporate finance
Corporate Finance includes all BNP Paribas internal financial management roles, which are essential for maintaining the Group’s strength and leadership in its markets.Find out more
Why should I apply?
Basically, why would you want to join BNP Paribas over any other company?
BECAUSE YOU'RE THE KIND OF PERSON WHO WANTS...
What if we told you that working in our Group isn’t quite what you might think? At BNP Paribas, we do a multitude of different jobs that are constantly evolving to meet the expectations of our clients and society as a whole. Whether through everyday tasks or major projects, doing one of our jobs means making a personal commitment to taking sustainable action.
Feeling good about your job means bringing your whole self to work and being who you are. It’s also about having the resources you need to achieve a healthy work-life balance. Both of these are major commitments at BNP Paribas.
At BNP Paribas, developing your skills is as important to us as it is to you. And the skills you learn with us will help you through the rest of your working life.