Head of Global Markets Activities
MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
The analysts of the Global Markets Activities team are responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and control of the general ledgers for the entities and products under their responsibility. When applicable, they coordinate investigations, review of ledgers and potential accounting adjustments with the operations and reporting teams that they support.
Accounting & Control Functions
• Perform month-end financial closing for their entities (under IFRS and US GAAP)
• Enforce controls and ensure that balance sheets are in balance; prepare balance sheet reconciliation schedules
• Pull together the data necessary to feed the profitability tools (Paradigm).
• Review ledgers, perform accounting entries and transaction analysis for a set of entities. Activities/entities are allocated in accordance with the accountant’s experience and the complexity/volume of transactions recorded by the entity. Activities include:
o Working with Operations to ensure the accurate reporting at deal-level or portfolio-level
o Performing second level review of the operational reconciliations performed by the back offices
o Preparing the transaction and revenue allocation by profit center for performance management purposes.
• Review daily transactional account activity/daily ledgers for posting errors and back-value transactions
• Review impairment on financial instruments in accordance with the Group rules
• Perform monthly management revenue processing of assigned entities including, but not limited to:
o Reviewing, adjusting, and maintaining the profitability database
o Maintaining analytical balances
o Communicating and resolving differences with counterparts
• Analyze, reconcile, and review all accounts under their responsibility by performing a variance analysis of corresponding revenue/balance sheet items, highlighting trends, and following up on questions/ concerns
• Prepare and book daily/monthly entries as necessary (under IFRS and US GAAP)
• On a timely basis, provide complete and accurate financial data to the various reporting teams and to management for report production (under IFRS and US GAAP)
• Provide assistance in responding to questions from the external auditors, Client Service Team, Operations, reporting teams and other by :
o Ensuring prompt resolution and follow-up of questions / requests for information
o Escalating problems / issues to the platform head
o Providing quality service to other teams / groups
Projects, Systems Support, Operational Process Improvements
• Participate in the upgrades/version releases of respective reporting tools, as well as system amendments/enhancements required to facilitate new/modified reporting requirements. In connection with this effort, assist in user acceptance testing and trouble-shooting after deployment.
• Assist in identifying operational process improvements in production, control procedures, and workflow organization to increase the team’s efficiency and effectiveness. Also assist in integrating and streamlining the reports under the team’s responsibility.
• Assist in implementing various changes of accounting schemas within the systems (IFRS and US GAAP)
• Assist operations with the review of complex transactions and how they will be managed in the systems, reported in the financial statements and in the performance management tools.
• Observe the bank’s policies and procedures
• Provide reporting coverage by:
o Learning the reports, tasks and requirements of the person they are backing up
o Training his back-up on the preparation of the report and tasks under his responsibility
• Participate in staff development and evaluation, as well as staffing operational process (recruiting, hiring, training). Help ensure that staff’s skills and competencies can support reporting requirements.
• Assist in any special project or request as directed by management
TRAINING AND OCCUPATIONAL EXPERIENCE
• Accounting degree from a reputable university. CPA designation.
• Minimum 4-5 years of financial and/or management accounting experience, preferably from an accounting firm (Big 4 or medium-sized) or within the Financial Services/Banking Industry
ESSENTIAL SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
• Bilingual : English and French
• Good knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, both IFRS and US GAAP and regulatory and tax accounting rules and regulations
• Basic capital market products knowledge
• Excellent Excel skills (including pivot tables, VLOOKUP, SUMIF)
• Ability to learn new systems and products quickly
• Experience with Business Objects (BOxi) is desirable
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
• Effective analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, in French and English
• Professional posture to develop and maintain key relationships with the business lines and back office transactional contacts
• Self-starter and team player, able to work independently and collaboratively with various teams in a deadline-focused environment
A recruitment policy that promotes equity and diversity:
Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
We pride ourselves in applying non-discrimination rules to all our recruitments.
We will only contact the candidates selected who meet the job requirements in terms of training and experience.
About BNP Paribas
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 195,000 employees, including more than 148,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
About BNP Paribas in Canada
In Canada, BNP Paribas is one of the dominant foreign banks in the country and is committed to building its platform even further. Since becoming the operational hub for the Group’s activities in North America in 2013, it has grown significantly to reach more than 700 employees and is expected to continue growing in the coming years. With the continued development of technology and financial fields, BNP Paribas Canada continues to attract experts with diverse backgrounds as well as young and ambitious talent from across the globe. With the international mobility and capacity that very few companies can offer, BNP Paribas prides itself in providing a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow.