At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, conducts and participates in financial accounting control examination, review and testing by the Accounting Controls Division; completes special projects and performs related duties as assigned. Plays a critical role within the Bank, ensuring a solid internal controls framework exists and is designed and operating effectively. Accounting department's work is leveraged by external auditors, on an annual basis, as they conduct the FDICIA audit.Essential Job Functions
Other Job Duties
- Ensures performance of independent and objective evaluations of the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the bank’s internal controls, disclosure controls, and operating systems in area(s) of responsibility.
- Performs examinations of manual journal entries, general ledger tickets, account reconciliations certifications, suspense accounts and certain specific bank activities or transactions to determine whether controls were appropriately followed, supporting documentation adequate, and posting correct.
- Responsible for recognizing potential issues in business practices and accounting that can be determined through examination work and effectively communicating findings to Accounting Policies and Internal Control department. Responsible for understanding emerging issues and proactively working with business units and other Controller Department teams to proactively adapt the bank’s policies to address as needed.
- Participates in complex functional examination processes that consists of: assessment of risk and exposure associated with bank activities in the area(s) of control examination responsibility; planning, design, performance, documentation, supervision and review of examination work; reporting of the results of examination work; and d. monitoring and verification of management’s resolution of examination findings.
- Performs special studies and evaluations of bank activities as directed.
- Ensures compliance with changes in control examination requirements as a result of regulation or BNPP requirements.
- Prepares documentation and analysis to support accounting policy issue review.
- Identifies opportunities to streamline compliance activities and make them a seamless part of operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have practical knowledge of project management.
- Requires 5 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Accounting, Business with an Accounting Concentration
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Conducts work with high degree of independence, managing conflicting deadlines and priorities as assigned. Quickly adapts to changing priorities, managing and clearly communicating deadline risks as new tasks and projects arise.
- Solid working knowledge of US GAAP and Financial Industry policies and practices within the Financial Industry.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives Experience in evaluating and implementing financial reporting controls Working knowledge of bank operations and information systems Analytical and research skills Negotiation skills Presentation skills.
- Understanding of GAAP.
- Understanding of COSO 2013 requirements.
- Understanding of internal controls and associated risks.
- Excellent communication skills; both written and orally.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-California-San RamonJob Type: Full-timeJob: Accounting Finance