2020 APAC Graduate Programme – Market Risks Analyst
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 17,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 73 markets with more than 196,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career in an international business environment that is fast-paced, diverse and focuses on creating high-value relationships with our clients. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as a working environment where you’re valued as part of the team.
* excluding partnerships
Our two-year APAC Graduate Programme has been designed to give you the support and development you need to start a successful career in financial services. You can join us in one of several business areas or support functions, and take on real responsibility from day one. Commencing in August you will start off with a comprehensive induction at our regional learning centre, where you’ll be immersed in group training and discover more about the BNP Paribas Group.
Then you’ll start your business specific technical and financial training, alongside personal skills development aimed at equipping you with the knowledge you need to get you the best possible start in your career.
Further training will be delivered throughout your two-year graduate programme, taking you along a tailored development path to build your expertise and broaden your base of skills. You’ll also have the chance to experience other parts of the business through cross-entity projects, which will help you understand how we approach complex work and give you the chance to develop a strong internal network.
Throughout the programme, you’ll be mentored by experienced managers and team members who will make sure you’re getting everything you need to grow.
The mission of RISK Global Markets (“RISK GM”) is to provide Senior Management of the Group, of the RISK Function and of Global Markets with full transparency and dynamic analysis of the Market, counterparty, valuation and liquidity risks managed by CIB Global Markets.
Risk Global Markets key missions are:
• Ensure high quality day-to-day management of all the market, counterparty and liquidity risks of GM.
• Anticipate on events and identify emerging risks.
• Advise Global Markets in a business minded but independent way on the quality of their risk taking and management.
• Help Global Markets Management assess and adjust their risk profile in line with their objectives and constraints.
• Make the risks of GM portfolios as transparent as possible and advise GM Management in order to help them make informed decisions.
• Ensure the Bank complies with the existing regulatory requirements at all times, and anticipate on the upcoming ones.
The position available within the North Asia RISK GM team will be within the HK market risk team (team of 5) and the analyst will contribute to the coverage of the Credit and Equity derivatives trading activities in APAC.
Scope: Equity Derivative, Credit Trading,
• Market risk analysis and closely monitoring of the relevant financial markets
• Ensure the compliance of covered business lines with their allocated market risk limits.
• Regular analysis of positions, proper identification and monitoring of the risks borne by the trading books.
• Contribute to the valuation of BNP Paribas books for the covered activities at month end.
• Analyze and measure any market risks, with all types of tools, like VaR, or stress testing and report the main findings through the appropriate channels of communications.
• Developing to use experience for proactive risk management and more anticipatory analysis
The candidate will be in direct contact with FO trading, participating to meetings and managing the relationship with Trading on a day-to-day basis. The candidate will also naturally work with a variety of team within RISK and outside of RISK such as TRS, S&R, V&RC, Finance, MO.
Risk Analysis: Identify, analyze and monitor market and liquidity risks on the perimeter.
Measure and monitor these risks, develop monitoring tools, and report to Business and Senior Management
Pro-actively assess positions, analyze large P/L events and identify/quantify new risks.
Participate in developing tools for the limit framework/monitoring. Assist in the definition, review and implementation of limits and ensure they are well monitored and reported in systems.
Build a solid understanding of main business risks. Create tools to help develop intuition for what are the main risks and their drivers, as well as how to address them.
Risk Anticipation: Develop analysis on their respective perimeter in order to innovate and identify emerging risks
New Trades/ Activity approvals: Participate in the definition and assessment of the risk management framework for new trades/products/activities through contribution and/or attendance to decision-making process, in particular ETs, TACs, and NACs.
Review and approval of valuation and official risk management models and methodologies this includes MAP, FVA/PVA methodologies.
a. Develop, compute and analyze market and liquidity stress-test scenarios.
b. Regularly review and update stress-testing scenarios.
Ensure compliance with relevant regulations in the risk area
Ensure good coordination on global project with the region (HK) and the central teams in London
Innovation: participate to our global innovation and transformation effort by suggesting/implementing improvement of our tools and working methodologies and introducing new digital technologies in our day to day.
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
• BSc or MSc in quantitative finance / banking / Economics or similar
• Strong analytical skills and solid quantitative background
• Good coding skills is recommended (R/Python, Excel, Access, VBA)
• Knowledge of derivatives, ideally across multiple asset classes.
• Ability to react quickly but precisely in high pressure trading situations with Front Office interactions.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
Students who have recently graduated or graduating in 2019/2020 from all areas of disciplines are most welcome to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
• Second upper and above (ie GPA 3.3/4)
• Takes initiative and is results driven
• Strong decision making and analytical skills
• Act with integrity
• Ability to manage change and complexity with confidence
• Strong team player
• Client focused and commercial thinking
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Self-motivated and genuine interest in Banking and Finance
• Proficiency in Microsoft office (MS Word, Excel & Power point) * Strong excel (VBA ) knowledge with ability to develop macros and pivot tables to enable automation of management reports and analytics
• Prior related internship within the banking industry is an advantage