About BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking
Fully integrated in the BNP Paribas Group, BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) is a leading provider of solutions to two client franchises: corporates and institutionals, and operates across EMEA (Europe Middle East Africa), APAC (Asia Pacific) and the Americas. The bank is a global leader in Debt Capital Markets and Derivatives. It is a top European house in Equity Capital Markets and it has leading franchises in Specialized Financing. In Securities Services, it is a top five House worldwide. BNP Paribas CIB strives to service the global economy by providing solutions to its clients in financing (ECM, DCM, specialized financing), flow banking (trade finance and cash management), financial advisory (M&A, project finance), global markets (interest rates, credit, foreign exchange, equity derivatives), risk management, and securities services.
BNP Paribas’ Global Markets business offers a broad range of products and services in the global interest rate, credit, currency, equities & commodity markets. Global Markets help their franchise of clients find effective ways to raise and invest capital as well as manage their exposure to risk. Their client base comprises of hundreds of corporations, institutional investors, banks, governments and supranational organizations.
Global Markets has the scale and reach to conduct business anywhere in the world and deliver products denominated in almost all of the world’s currencies. Their global network comprises more than 1,700 professionals working on our six main trading floors in London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, Singapore and Tokyo. They are supported by regional offices throughout Europe, the Americas, Middle East and Asia-Pacific.
The Data Steward is responsible for the coordination of all data governance activities in the Line of Business (the Data Community) and works with other Data Stewards to create alignment and horizontal integration of data and information across all appropriate business areas. He or she is responsible for obtaining buy-in and participation from leadership teams in the business area for data governance activities and has significant influence in setting the data governance policies, standards, and goals for the organization. This is a senior level position that requires the ability to effectively collaborate within own department and across broad parts of the organization and influence others without reliance on formal authority.
The Global Client Analytics (GCA) team is a global team with members located in Paris, New York, London, Lisbon, and Mumbai. The team’s primary responsibility is to support the creation and ongoing production of MI reports that are required by the Global Markets business lines and functions. The team’s primary responsibilities include:
- Working with stakeholders to identify and prioritize reporting needs and facilitate training on existing reporting tools
- Evaluating reporting requests to determine proper data sourcing strategies and work effort required to complete
- Coordination with Global team members on report and data source development using reporting tools (Tableau, Alteryx, Python, and SQL)
- Provide regular updates to stakeholders on the status of their requests
- Facilitation of local ad hoc and enhancement requests to the GCA Mumbai teams
- GCA Lead in the Americas manages 2 team members. He / she oversees the production of quality deliverables, provides guidance and steps in production whenever relevant.
Data Steward Role Attributes
- Problem Solver and Project Manager:
- Coach the principles of operational and data governance excellence
- Development of problem statements and action plans
- Value stream mapping, project planning and systematic problem solving
- Plan and manage complex timelines
- Leads and facilitates the Data Community’s identification, definition and management of Key Data Elements (KDEs). This includes the business and technical definitions, metadata and golden source information, and ensuring its full inclusion in the Data Governance tools platform and workflow
- Leads and facilitates the Data Community’s data quality assessments, including: data profiling, establishment of data quality rules and thresholds for KDE’s, review of data quality reports provided back to the Community;
- Leads Data Community’s data trace program, including, tracing samples of data from report back to origination; checking transformations and aggregations for accuracy; and proving out accuracy by reconciling against source documentation
- Works with IT to provide semi-automated visualization of lineage of Data Community’s data, highlighting transformations and aggregations from origination through to reporting.
- Establishes issue management and resolution processes for the data Community leveraging the authoritative data governance tools, building consensus around key data issues and actions required to address them, and developing action plans and timelines to complete remediation
- Creates sign-off and data certification chain in data community and oversees and monitors its implementation at all stages of the data lifecycle: origination, preparation, consolidation and reporting.
- Chairs regular core data community team meetings and key community data quality working groups and attends data governance forums to review progress and initiatives with key constituents. Represents the interests of the Data Governance program in various project governance and inter-departmental forums
- Educates business and technical communities on purpose and value of Data Governance and importance of Data Quality
- Coordinates all changes to their assigned community KDEs through active leadership of the running change and change implementation processes
- Produced artifacts for the Community data governance, including meeting minutes, presentations, project outputs, and plans etc
- Provides SME input to projects and programs in community related to data management and governance
- Provides regular reporting on Data Governance metrics and activities for assigned Data Community
- Identifies and executes robust and continuous improvements opportunities within the enterprise data management processes in the applicable systems.
- Builds and sustains a significant network of business relationships to get the job done including, front office, middle and back office, IT and other functions, at all levels of the organization
Ensures strict confidentiality is maintained for both customer and Bank Information to protect the customer and the Bank and to ensure compliance with Bank Policies & Procedures
- At least of 5 years of experience in a related field (Business, Finance, Computer Science or other relevant field)
- Experience in business and data analysis, process improvement, and project management
- Banking specific knowledge and experience in governance, risk, compliance or operational functions
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills, including ability to facilitate meetings and present to senior business executives
- Specific knowledge of a relevant business area (e.g. Capital Markets, Finance, Operations, Human Resources, Risk, Regulatory, Audit, Legal, etc.)
- Knowledge of data/content management (Ex: relational, mainframe, web, metadata etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of MS office suite; VBA macros are advantage
- Experience in developing standards, processes, and policies
- Exposure to multiple business units in BNP’s environment to understand the linkages and dependencies
- Expertise in the use of data governance, profiling, analysis, and management tools
- Knowledge of Tableau software, Alteryx, MSBI / SSRS
- Knowledge of SQL and Python
- Previous Data & MIS reporting analyst experience is an advantage
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.
*Physical presence in BNPP’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion.