About BNP Paribas:
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 74 countries, with more than 192,000 employees, including more than 146,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
*Physical presence in BNPP’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion.
Global Markets is BNP Paribas’ capital markets business within the Corporate & Institutional Bank (CIB), delivering solutions across asset classes, and industry-leading services for clients including Institutional, corporates, private banks and retail distribution networks.
Global Markets encompasses seven global business lines; G10 Rates, Equity Derivatives, Forex & Local Markets, Commodity Derivatives, Credit, Prime Solutions & Financing and Primary Markets, helping their franchise of clients find effective ways to raise and invest capital as well as manage their exposure to risk.
Global Markets is made up of over 3,700 staff globally based in EMEA, the Americas and Asia Pacific, with the main trading floors located in London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, Singapore and Tokyo.
In response to regulatory requirements, BNP Paribas has established a First Line of Defense Surveillance function within Global Markets (GM) business reporting into Chief Conduct and Controls Office (CCCO). GM CCCO is part of Global Markets FO, but independent from the Business and is also part of the 1st Line of Defense. The FOCS (Front Office Control & Surveillance) team monitors
- Trading & Sales business activity and electronic Communications, with the objective of deterring, detecting, and preventing Conduct Risk breaches
- Developing automated tools for monitoring and performing customized data analytics
- Escalating potential issues and resolving satisfactorily
- Developing systems capabilities and customizing new systems to meet firm expectations
The team is quite unique in the industry and has proved efficient in identifying potential conduct risk to BNPP managers. The team can follow easily market events and work with FO management by being located close to the trading floor.
- Team lead of the FOCS Equity/Exchange products team, coordinate with other regional FOCS team members on a daily basis and with EMEA/APAC FOCS teams to ensure consistency of best practices.
- Monitoring , investigating and responding to ‘alerts’ whether communication or trading related, opening case management files as required and escalating potential breaches to the Heads of GBLs, the Regional Heads of Trading or Sales and / or 2LOD (Compliance, Risk ORC), in line with the FOCS Escalation Procedure or to your senior FOCS team member to take the action forward or to clarify an alert
- Liaise with, and maintain a good working relationship with Desk Heads, Senior Management and other stakeholders in order to help Desk Heads manage their business more effectively
- Contribute to the design, implementation and refinement of the surveillance framework, which includes tools and procedures to more effectively identify actual or potential conduct risk scenarios.
- Participant in the development and use tactical, spreadsheet-based tools, which can search data warehouses at a trade level, filter unwanted information and display the remaining results concisely, for subsequent analysis.
- Contribute to the design and production of timely Management Information for the Heads of Trading & Sales and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the evolution of the team by training members, IT enhancements , emerging risk identification or related projects
Minimum required qualifications
- Excellent communication skills with management and transversal functions
- Be a role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good Conduct
- Demonstrate proactivity, transparency, and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
- Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues, partners and clients before making decisions, and escalate issues to your manager when unsure
Market, Product and Business Experience
- In-depth knowledge of the capital markets and/or capital market surveillance
- Experience or specialization in an asset class such as Equity cash or derivatives
- Strong knowledge of market regulations, particularly FINRA rules around Equities trading
- Ability to manage multiple deliverables
- Knowledge of Actimize/SMARTS or other trade surveillance tools
- Advanced knowledge of Excel is essential
- Ability to organize data sets
- Generally comfortable and adept at defining and using technology tools
- Strong analytical and investigative skills;
Market, Product and Business Experience
- Exposure to trading desks, electronic/ exchange trading and securities industry regulations strongly preferred
- Spanish, French , Portuguese or other languages
- Capital Markets, Risk Management or Compliance experience also helpful
- +7 years Trading/Sales and/or Surveillance experience
FINRA Registrations preferred:
- Experience working with front office employees a plus
- Programming skills (python) are a plus