In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal's Top Employers in 2022. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
The Finance Americas COO department ensures that appropriate solutions are put in place for the Finance (accounting) and Tax organization to meet their business objectives. The team acts as the bridge for the Finance and Tax organization to various departments within the BNP Paribas group, mainly the Business, PMO and Technology organizations in New York, New Jersey, California, Montreal, Mumbai, London and Paris.
The role resides within FCOO’s Finance Implementation Projects (FIP) team that works on a wide range of projects simultaneously arising from business and regulatory changes and strategic initiatives. The team is also responsible for the reengineering efforts of existing applications to improve functionality and efficiency. The team also provides first line user support through training, research and responding to general queries.
The Business Analyst has broad-based responsibilities for the functional design, specification and deployment of Finance Systems and Process changes initiatives at both a Legal Entity and IHC level. The candidate will work as a team member of projects. General responsibilities include:
- Primarily support the application of the accounting policy and validation of Chart of Accounts (CoA) in North America Region (NAR) Finance General Ledger to meet financial and regulatory reporting requirements under FCOO FIP governance.
- Elicit, analyse, and document user requirements and business processes.
- Undertake data assessment, data gap analysis and remediation.
- Implement Operational Accounting schemas throughout product lifecycle.
- Develop functional specification, requirements memo for IT development.
- Plan and manage User Acceptance Testing and migration testing up to successful delivery of end-product or remediation solution.
- Manage issues and escalate effectively.
- Ensure on-time quality delivery of projects and tasks assigned.
- Participate in project planning and cost estimates.
- Liaise with cross-functional teams (business groups, IT and PMO organizations) in New York, New Jersey, Montreal, Mumbai, London and Paris to devise strategic and well-thought solutions to multitude of business initiatives.
- Facilitate working group meetings with effective presentation materials and documentation; prepare agendas, document-meeting outcomes and communicate to stakeholders and management
- Support enhancement efforts of the overall control environment, including upstream processes and controls.
Specific responsibilities for the Chart of Accounts and Operational Account Schemas/Accounting Static Control role:
- Propose application of the accounting policy in North America Region (NAR) Finance General Ledger Chart of Accounts. This includes the definition of Operational Accounting Schemas throughout product lifecycle for new products, businesses, source systems and/or new accounting standards and validation of accounting in General Ledger (GL).
- Analyze and document business requirements for modifications to the Chart of Accounts, and propose solutions based on the published data model standard.
- Analyze, propose and validate upstream/sub-ledger to General ledger and downstream reporting Chart of Accounts mapping and change requirements based on group standards.
- Propose standardize accounting schemas and reporting Chart of accounts within NAR Finance and coordinate alignment of the General Ledger’s accounting schemas across common products with London and Head-office.
- Establish a governance process for maintenance of the Operational Accounting Schemas, effectively monitor changes to existing schemas and update and maintain the Operational Accounting Schema library accordingly.
- Remediate inconsistencies in the General Ledger across accounts, products, legal entities and source systems.
- Define and implement the framework of first level controls.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
Minimum Required Qualifications
- 8 to 10 years of work experience in the field of accounting and / or accounting systems (i.e. upstream to general ledger and downstream) and implementation in the financial services industry.
- Qualified CPA / CMA / CA / ACCA / University Degree (Finance).
- Strong technical accounting background in the financial services industry (Ex: Corporate and Investment Bank, Prime and Hedge Fund Services, Investment Management, etc.)
- Experience working with accounting and reporting of complex financial products (Ex: Derivatives, Forex, Equities, Fixed Income, Treasury, Loan Syndication, Supply Chain, Trade Finance, etc.) with deep understanding of product lifecycles and associated accounting events.
- Detail-oriented approach with problem solving mind-set and ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively challenge and apply professional scepticism with the goal of providing strategic solutions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to explain complex issues clearly and concisely to audiences of varying technical or accounting levels.
- Ability to work effectively in geographically dispersed cross-functional teams.
- Experience in drafting Operational Accounting Schema for financial products strongly preferred.
- Knowledge in Chart of Accounts.
- Knowledge of accounting standards - IFRS and/or US GAAP are of interest.
- Knowledge of Business analysis and project management skills including Microsoft Office, SQL preferred.
- Experience in Business Analysis (Accounting and Reporting) and Application Testing (accounting interpreter, sub ledger, general ledger and reporting tools) in financial services industry.
- Fluency in one of more of these languages preferred: French, Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- Knowledge of emerging solutions and analytic tools preferred, e.g. robotics, Alteryx, AI etc.
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, is based outside of Quebec and Canada, our positions require employees to speak another language than French – being English for most positions; other languages such as Spanish or Portuguese may be also specifically required and such will be clearly mentioned in the requirements of the position;
- All BNP Paribas employees in Canada must be adequately vaccinated against COVID-19 on the date of hire, unless exempt for a reason protected by the Canadian Human Rights Act.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2022
- Women in Governance – Parity certified - Silver certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **