Within Finance, Strategic Financial Management (SFM) is primarily responsible for the proper organization of the Financial Planning, the internal Management Reporting and the communication of financial information to Business Lines and Functions. The role involves permanent interactions with Business and Function Management to provide them with the means to make informed business decisions to effectively achieve their strategic goals.
The role involves a deep understanding of the business activity of BNP Paribas together with a solid knowledge of accounting and management reporting requirements. Main activities cover
- Performance Management reporting,
- Forecasting, Budgeting and Financial Planning,
- Business Partnering,
- Preparation of ad hoc analysis on revenues, direct costs, allocated costs, resources and other indicators,
- Active contribution to projects involving Performance Management.
The Institutional Platform CST directly supports the senior management and Business Managers of the Global Markets, Securities Services (BP2S) and ALM Treasury business lines.
*Physical presence in BNPP’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion.
Candidate Success Factors:
Candidates to be measured on the following four performance drivers, which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Impacts division and influences peers and team
- Demonstrates good judgement when making decisions of high complexity and impact
- Relies on limited guidance for most complex decision making
- Is responsible for driving outcomes which have meaningful effect on team or department
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Creates trust with department leaders
- Acts in leadership capacity for large projects, processes, or programs for a team
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Able to build relationships with a mix of intermediate and senior colleagues or clients
- Interacts regularly with management and department leaders
- Demonstrates the ability to persuade and influence stakeholders at the team level
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
- Takes full responsibility for personal actions and demonstrates courage in facing problems and conflicts
- Perceived as a person of high moral character; upholds corporate values and displays high ethical standards”
Performance Management Reporting
• Analyze key financial reporting with a focus on meaningful analytics that the Business can rely on for strategic decisions. This includes variance analysis vs. budgets / internal targets and highlighting trends, and requires an in depth knowledge of BNPP management accounting.
• Provide commentary on P&L evolution to Finance Management and Finance support teams who use it to understand key business drivers when analyzing financial statements and regulatory reporting. This requires good business knowledge in order to explain the revenue drivers of the Global Markets products and a special attention to scope and accuracy of figures.
Budgeting and Forecasting
• Coordinate development of budgets and forecasts with internal clients, including revenues, expenses, allocation keys, headcount, and RWA. This includes consolidating business unit submissions, analyzing figures and trends, resolving differences, and preparing Senior Management presentations.
• Maintain an active dialogue with the business, central Performance Management teams, and local Synthesis Reporting on instructions, methodologies and analysis of actuals and budget.
• Reply to questions from Business Management, Finance Management, Finance Production, Head Office Performance Management, etc. with accurate and timely responses.
• Investigate profitability and expense issues discovered during analysis or communicated by business management and propose and implement solutions.
• Prepare ad hoc analytical reports and other presentations to aid Finance and Business senior management in decision making.
Projects & Other
• Proactively seek ways to improve processes, control procedures, and workflow organization to increase the team’s efficiency and effectiveness.
• Work closely with the Finance project team in supporting projects with a Finance component impacting the Institutional Platform.
• Ensure on-time quality delivery of projects and activities assigned.
• Ensure backup coverage with other team members.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Degree in Finance, Business, Accounting, Economics or Math from a reputable college / university.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a Finance department, preferably within a global financial services company
- Self-starter and team player, able to work independently and collaboratively in a deadline-focused environment.
- Good interpersonal skills to develop and maintain key relationships with Business heads and managers, Head Office and other Finance and support groups.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills and strong skills in PowerPoint, Word, Access etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles, with knowledge of USGAAP and IFRS a plus.
- Familiarity with financial reporting systems and database reporting tools such as Oracle or Tagetik.
- Familiarity with BNPP performance management and Middle Office tools (Perseus, Vinci, Paradigm, Primo, Plato, etc.) a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of Global Markets products and their profitability drivers.
- Experience supporting projects end-to-end.
FINRA Registrations Required:
CFTC Swap Dealer Associated Person (if yes, NFA Swaps Proficiency Program is required): N/A
SEC Security-Based Swap Dealer Associated Person:
About BNP Paribas:
In the United States, BNP Paribas has built a strong and diversified presence to support its client base. We continue to grow and strengthen our commitment to the US market through our Corporate & Institutional Banking activities. We are one of a few non-US banks to offer a full value chain for our clients, from trading to financing, and clearing and custody in the US with the international footprint and capacity to deliver both globally and locally. Leveraging the strength of our European roots, our network can support clients in virtually every region of the world, enabling more connectivity and efficiency wherever our clients conduct business.
BNP Paribas’ Corporate & Institutional Banking services corporate clients and institutional investors offering tailored solutions in financing, cash management, and advisory services to companies via Corporate Banking, in capital markets via Global Markets, and in securities custody and administration via Securities Services. As the asset management arm of BNP Paribas, BNP Paribas Asset Management offers high value-added solutions to individual savers, companies, and institutional investors.
The bank employs nearly 14,000 people and has a presence in the country since the late 1800s in major cities including New York, Jersey City, Chesterbrook, PA, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Denver and Washington, DC.
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach across the US, EMEA and APAC. It has a presence in 65 countries, with nearly 190,000 employees. The Bank offers a comprehensive range of banking, investment and financial services solutions through three main fields of activity: Retail Banking for the Bank’s retail-banking networks and several specialized businesses including BNP Paribas Personal Finance and Arval; Investment & Protection Services for savings, investment and protection solutions; and Corporate & Institutional Banking, focused on corporate and institutional clients. Based on its strong diversified and integrated model, BNP Paribas helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
We take pride in our expertise and our ability to adapt while constantly looking ahead to create a more sustainable world.
BNP Paribas. The Bank for a Changing World - https://usa.bnpparibas/en/homepage/join-us/our-opportunities/
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.