As the leading European Union bank, and one of the world’s largest financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence in the region since 1860, BNP Paribas offers a wide range of financial services for corporate, institutional and private investors spanning corporate and institutional banking, wealth management, asset management and insurance.
We passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued and encourage applicants of all backgrounds, including diversity of origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion applicants who may be living with a disability. We have a number of internal employee networks in place to empower our staff to act and challenge the status quo.
• BNP Paribas PRIDE is highly active in favour of the LGBTQIA+ community
• BNP Paribas MixCity which fosters better representation of women at all levels of the organization
• Ability, the mutual aid network for employees with a disability or a disabling or chronic illness
• BNP Paribas CulturAll which celebrates diverse backgrounds
BNP is committed to financing a carbon-neutral economy by 2050. The Group is a founding member of the Net-Zero Banking Alliance and has set up its own Low Carbon Transition Group to support its clients through their energy transitions.
BNPP has won Top employer Europe award in a 10th consecutive year
What is this position about?
The Capital Markets and Low Carbon Transition (“CMG” & LTCG”) is a group within Global Banking at BNP Paribas with a dual responsibility for all lending and debt advisory activities and delivering on the bank’s ambition to be the leading partner for our clients through their Energy Transition. Given the longstanding sector focus, energy, infrastructure and resources remain highly important (though not the sole) sectors of focus, with particular and growing focus on supporting the transition to a low carbon economy across sectors in line with the bank’s NZBA and PACTA commitments.
To that end, the bank is looking to build on its presence in renewables and storage as well as new energy. The group has particular focus on event driven situations including project and acquisition finance in support of the bank’s clients including for Infrastructure Fund clients for which CMG retains coverage responsibility. It is also responsible for sustainable finance where the bank has a leading presence globally as well locally having led market-first transactions including the first syndicated sustainability linked loan and first corporate green bond in Australia. The bank is the second oldest bank in Australia having supported the Australian economy for over 140 years. The purpose of this role is to continue that support with a focus on decarbonizing the Australian economy. Importantly, Australia as a dynamic OECD country with a leading global wind and irradiance resource and heavy reliance on coal, is a significant market in the context of the bank’s global ambition to deploy EUR40b by 2030 in support of the energy transition.
What would be your typical day at BNPP Paribas look like?
Primary Role Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of the role is to position the bank for strategic debt advisory and or structuring opportunities that both elevates the bank’s presence in the RE, storage and new energy sectors and delivers the institution in terms of its product offering and global sector expertise.
The VP, in collaboration with colleagues within the LTCG team, will be responsible for:
- Support origination and lead execution of debt advisory and lending opportunities in energy transition in Australia and New Zealand including leading various work flows such as financial modelling, engagement with external consultants (legal, technical, accounting and tax etc) and market engagement;
- Liaising with the global LCTG team to leverage the bank’s credentials and experience across technologies, sectors and clients;
- Provide analytical support in relation to clients’ capital structures and borrowing capacity ideally with experience and a good understanding of external ratings analysis methodology and processes;
- Support structuring of tailored solutions across the banks’ product offering leveraging your sector knowledge; and
- Responsible for internal processes for transactions including credit (as appropriate), mandate committees, KYC, EP, CSR & ESG assessments etc.
- Contribute to building and refining the LCTG strategy;
- Involvement in credit intensive situations as required including portfolio monitoring and management, major waiver requests etc;
- Management reporting including budget analysis, modelling and reporting including wider responsibilities in regards to ad-hoc group reporting as necessary.
Performance shall be established by way of agreed objectives and assessed by following criteria:
- Execution performance in terms of ability to act autonomously, in a timely manner and with rigour based on client and deal team feedback;
- Contribution to managed revenue and cross sell based objectives;
- Contribution to key strategic mandate origination and elevation of the bank’s presence in energy transition;
- Ability to meaningfully contribute to and work within a team environment; and
- Ability to engender trust with external stakeholders, colleagues, management and other BNPP’s internal stakeholders including risk, credit, legal and compliance departments and product partners through consistent demonstration of transparency, professionalism and clear and appropriate communication.
What is required for you to succeed?
- Conduct – Operates at all time with high ethical standards;
- Attention to detail - Ensures accuracy and implements processes to ensure quality of output;
- Financial modelling – Expertise and experience in building project finance models including taking a model through an audit and closing process.
- Product – Demonstrates a very good level of knowledge and understanding of project finance;
- Sector – Passionate about energy transition, keeps abreast of current developments. Experience in the power sector;
- Strong customer focus - Passionate about delivering best service to clients;
- Professionalism - Ensures high personal standards in all areas of work;
- Commercial Focus - Demonstrates awareness of the wider business market and the need to drive actions that lead to profitability. Understands how their contribution to business objectives can impact on profitability;
- Communication and Presentation
- Oral: Expressing ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Adjusting communication style to match the needs of the audience.
- Written: Expressing ideas clearly in all written documents. Using professional, appropriate language at all times, and adhering to the use of the BNPP Email Protocols;
- Strong numerical and quantitative analysis skills - Understands and evaluates numerical data, tables, charts or graphs. Performs calculations, makes comparisons and combines quantitative information to present reasoned conclusions;
- Financial decision making - Undertakes actions requiring the analysis of financial information. Develops alternative courses of action or recommendations that are based on logical assumptions and factual information;
- Planning & Execution - Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages own time and resources to meet deadlines and quality standards;
- Resilience - Continues to work effectively and pursue goals when faced with obstacles, periods of change and uncertainty, or resistance from others. Maintains effectiveness in uncertain or ambiguous situations; and
- Team Orientation - Works with the team and the broader organisation towards shared goals and treats all colleagues and clients as partners and with respect at all times.
Specific Qualifications Required
- Tertiary degree qualified in finance, accounting, commerce, law and/or engineering;
- Post graduate business qualification (eg MBA, M. App. Fin.) desirable;
- 7-10 years’ experience in the project advisory or banking; and
- Track record of deal execution experience within the RE sector.