The Transitions Manager will be responsible for the successful delivery and integration of existing client restructures, closures, new business or complex transitions/operating models including obtaining an overall understanding of the client needs, planning, execution and implementation into the BNP business units. The role would suit someone with extensive market knowledge and experience, with a strong understanding of third party investment manager, client and custodian requirements. Fund accounting (and preferably HiPort) experience would also be highly beneficial.
Commitment, engagement and collaboration with a good understanding of project management principles are required to deliver a professional service, in a quality manner by building and maintaining a continuous service program that supports the business and enhances its responsiveness whilst protecting our existing business requirements through effective scope management.
Deployment of effective transition solutions and services and efficient operations requires well-developed strategies, architectures, technology standards, plans and execution capability that align with the overall BNP business strategy.
Purpose of Department
BAU Transitions (BAUT) covers implementation management of client transition and restructure requests, requiring a solid understanding of Stakeholder Management by applying project management principles combined with an agreed communication and governance framework.
The core product areas covered by BAUT are: Client Delivery (encompassing all administrative and custody services to Clients), plus cross product deals, eg Foreign Exchange, Collateral or Treasury services. The types of events managed by the BAUT Team include:
- New fund launches
- Portfolio re-constructions
- Fund mergers
- Fund restructures (incl manager appointments and terminations)
- Assisting with new client onboarding
- Client exits
- Implementation of new BNPP approved and established service or operating models for a Client
- End to end coordination and project management of transition and fund restructure activities.
- Ensure full facilitation and co-ordination of internal business units, including appropriating required information and requirements from all areas for comprehensive planning and time-lining of actions to successfully complete Client transition / restructure activity.
- Liaise with and co-ordinate custodians, investment managers and other external stakeholders to ensure smooth and timely completion of Client transitions and restructures.
- Ensure appropriate levels of governance are applied to all implementation activities.
- Undertake and / or oversee appropriate transition execution monitoring and checking.
- Facilitate information provision to external stakeholders to help ensure no additional risk to the management of Client assets during the transition period, e.g. data provision to Transition Managers, Portfolio Managers.
- Attend client, consultant and custodian meetings and calls and where necessary initiate and lead them.
- Undertake appropriate tracking and governance of transition operational tasks and issues, e.g. corporate actions and income monitoring, asset transfer settlements, as well as all time-lined actions and tasks to ensure all required activities are completed.
- Maintain required transition records for reporting and audit trail purposes.
- Work in isolation or with Project / Program Managers and lead workshops with stakeholders to clarify current processes and future business requirements.
- Generally, a Transitions Manager will run their deals with end to end ownership other than where for example, deals are of a significant size or complexity, require IT builds, need to be run under a budget, then the TM may would work as a workstream lead under a project / program manager.
- Ensure full, transparent and appropriate communication to and from all stakeholders throughout the transition / restructure life cycle.
- Adhere to appropriate escalation processes to escalate, for example, resource issues, delayed project phases, missed deadlines and other planning issues.
- Undertake Post-Implementation Reviews as required to determine and document learnings and issues to ensure continuous improvement of the implementation function and execution.
- Deliver all Implementation projects and programmes in line with recognised best practice methodology (managing risk, governance, quality assurance, issue resolution, reporting and communication) and inline with BNPP’s BAU Transitions Framework.
- Contribute to establishing and implementing sound project methodology and continuous improvement within the Business Implementation area.
- Assist and Support the Client On-boarding and complex implementation team, where and as required.
- Contribute to building a strong customer service culture for all implementation programs.
- Contribute to efficiency improvements (i.e. process and control improvements, reduction in errors) without impacting negatively on service, brand and therefore shareholder value.
- Ability to manage relationships with external participants and proactively manage all issues. Undertake administrative tasks required to support the above activities.
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by your manager that you have the capability to perform or learn.
- Engage and leverage off economies of scale with counterparts and colleagues in other BNP regions and share transition management experiences.
- Adhere to all BNP policies and relevant procedures, including the Code of Conduct.
- All teams within Middle Office, Fund Accounting, UUT, Registry, Performance, Custody and MFS (depending on product coverage of the implementation)
- Client Service Managers
- Relationship Managers
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Processing teams (both onshore and offshore)
- Governance / KYC
- Third Party Administrators
- Transition Managers
- Fund Managers
Competencies (technical / behavioural)
Communication (Verbal & Written): Expresses ideas effectively in a clear, concise and open manner appropriate for both individual and group situations. Listens effectively and identifies / responds to subtle verbal and non-verbal cues from others. Communicates effectively in written form. Expresses ideas clearly with appropriate organisation and structure, correct grammar, and language or terminology that is adjusted to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
Leadership: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to inspire and guide individuals in a manner that provides clarity and direction and fosters loyalty and commitment. Rewards and recognises effort and achievement.
Delegation: Enlists the talents of others to help meet objectives; allocates important activities and sufficient autonomy for others to exercise judgement and make decisions within their authority level; establishes procedures to monitor results of delegation.
Develops & Maintain Relationships: Builds and maintains mutually beneficial, collaborative relationships with business partners and stakeholders based on BNP’s values. Uses effective strategies to win others over and exhibits persuasive representation of team and business objectives; demonstrate strong negotiation and influencing skills.
Decision Making: Decides on and commits to a course of action in a timely manner having sought and evaluated a range of alternatives from knowledge, experience and insights, taking into consideration resources, constraints, ethics and organisational values.
Strategic and Solutions Focus - The ability to consider competing conceptual or real elements and factors in finding solutions, to think laterally and to focus on potential outcomes before determining the best course of action. Demonstrate a pragmatic and commercial approach to solutioning.
Resilience: Continues to work effectively and pursue goals when faced with obstacles, periods of change and uncertainty, or resistance from others. Maintains effectiveness in uncertain or ambiguous situations.
Time Management and Multitasking: Be able to multitask and manage many implementation projects simultaneously and adapt and deal with significant time pressures and prioritization conflicts.
Proactive and self-starting: Doesn’t require micro-managing and is proactive in obtaining, initiating and undertaking all relevant scope and project requirements
Professionalism: At all times act professionally toward both internal and external parties, stakeholders and colleagues; be respectful and abide by all BNP policies and compliance requirements including the BNP Code of Conduct; do nothing that reflects poorly on BNP or the Business Implementation team.
- Good working knowledge of custody investment administration business and financial services sector, including asset management and Superannuation Funds
- Possess strong, demonstratable implementation / project management skills
- Flexible approach to work, as implementation can occur outside of normal business hours.
- Strong team player, going the extra mile
- Strong leadership to set the team mission and maximise team members potential
- Strong accounting knowledge highly beneficial; beneficial to have Hiport experience
Qualification / experience
- Approximately 8+ years in Financial Services, with specific technical knowledge of fund accounting and unit pricing, investment administration, custody operations.
- Preferred 3+ years in a direct Implementation / Transition Management or similar role, with a proven track record.
- Demonstrated capability in project / implementation management (either as an SME or full planning capacity), sound analytical ability and strong stakeholder management.
- Degree qualified in Business, Accounting or a related discipline; or substantial industry experience in a like role.
- MS Office suite proficiency: Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint