At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Senior leader who heads a sub-function within the Corporate Compliance organization of Bank of the West. This position is responsible for overseeing the quality and adequacy of the Bank’s Consumer Compliance Management System and partnering with operational business units to promote adherence to the Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices “UDAAP” and Responsible Banking consumer compliance laws and regulations with a focus on detection and prevention of consumer harm throughout the organization. This position requires the ability to provide proactive risk management, be solutions oriented, provide strategic vision to the Enterprise, and cultivate deep compliance expertise. This role will report directly to the Deposits & Responsible Banking Compliance Program Group Manager.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides expertise, advice and guidance to the first line of defense on UDAAP and Responsible Banking compliance risks, BNPP Group Protecting the Interest of Clients (PIC) domain obligations and emerging risks related to business strategy, processes and practices, controls, systems/tools and changes. Provides effective challenge to business partners relative to business strategy, decisions and related compliance risks;
- Understands applicability and in depth requirements of all applicable laws and regulations and related operational processes, controls, and related effectiveness and risks. Actively monitors and engages in related industry activities to ensure continued understanding of emerging risks and areas of opportunity;
- Manages, develops and reviews Compliance Policy/Program/Standards, and makes appropriate changes given the regulatory environment, the nature and extent of the activity and other business developments that may change over time. Manages specific Compliance obligations as defined by BNPP Group PIC domain:
- Supports and advises on business related control design, risks and opportunities. Supports execution of compliance risk assessments through liaison with the business and assessment owners within the Compliance organization, understanding of business related implementation of applicable requirements;
- Supports and conducts 2nd line oversight activities as appropriate and provides timely feedback to business partners. Applies the compliance issue management practices to ensure accountability, sound corrective action, and requisite reporting, and escalation requirements. Monitor progress to address applicable compliance risks as appropriate;
- Provides guidance on due diligence of compliance risks related to third parties, new initiatives, products and services, regulatory changes, and other applicable business changes;
- Reviews and advises on applicable business procedures, targeted training content and audiences, marketing efforts and materials, and disclosures; and
- Advises on and supports applicable regulatory changes.
Other Job Functions
- Supports execution of requisite Compliance reporting and governance.
- Supports and advises on and monitors applicable compliance-related issues, customer restitution efforts, and ensures alignment with issue management standards and other applicable policies and procedures.
- Actively participates in various Bank steering committees, owns and supports compliance policy development and updates, interacts with other executive leaders throughout the organization, and updates senior executive leadership regarding matters of strategic importance to the organization.
- Oversees ongoing reviews of consumer complaints, advertisements, loan approval and denial documentation, and all applicable consumer related forms for fair banking risks.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 10 years proven and progressive experience in financial services compliance, including direct accountability for UDAAP and Responsible Banking compliance functions.
- Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM) (Preferred)
- Comprehensive understanding of relevant Federal laws, regulations and requirements, including industry practices, particularly those related to UDAAP and Responsible Banking.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Must possess utmost professional qualities including leadership, high energy, results driven, and self-motivation.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
- Technical Skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality.
- Change and Quality Management – Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Monitors transition and evaluates results; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals identifies external threats and opportunities. Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Adaptability – Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Communication - Excellent communication skills required, both written and verbal
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.