At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for contributing to credit portfolio quality and processing of requests for credit extension with extensive focus on credit relationship portfolio management and credit underwriting activities with the relationship management team. Analyzes, underwrites and recommends decisions on credit requests generated by relationship managers from commercial companies. Monitors, tracks and manages the credit portfolio with the goal of minimizing credit losses and maintaining compliance with credit review policy while keeping the office manager current on any credit issues that require attention. As a seasoned lender, takes primary responsibility for managing the credit needs of a portfolio of 15 or more commercial banking relationships. This is the most senior level of Credit Products Officer and may act as team leader assisting the division credit manager in the supervision of credit officers, credit analysts, associates and support staff in the credit function of the office.
Essential Job Functions
- May act as a team leader overseeing credit and underwriting activities of other officers to ensure that current and potential customers are properly analyzed to minimize credit losses. Oversees the work of others, including preparation of CRRs/CRMs by training less-experienced credit staff, allocating, and monitoring work.
- Supports unit's growth and profitability through underwriting credit requests and proactively monitoring credit portfolio.
- Together with Relationship Manager, takes primary responsibility for managing credit needs of a portfolio of 15 or more commercial banking relationships providing consultative underwriting advice, credit analysis and on-gong monitoring of credit products and services to meet customer's needs and minimize credit losses to the Bank.
- Develops innovative credit solutions to meet customer/prospect credit needs.
- Works closely with other CBG Departments (e.g. Cash Management, Capital Markets, Equipment Leasing, Trade Finance), and other major areas of the Bank to manage the risk of complex financial products and services.
- Ensures development and preparation of effective proposals for presentation to existing and potential customers.
- Participates, oversees, and assists in the preparation of CRRs, recommending credit facilities by signing final document. Ensures credit facilities and transactions are properly structured, priced, and documented.
- Ensures quality control and risk management of relationships managed. Identifies, classifies, and monitors problems or potential problem loans in compliance with the internal credit review policy. Directly, or through credit officers or analysts, tracks and monitors receipt of financial reporting and covenant compliance certificates. Attempts to collect on accounts that are delinquent including negotiating payment schedules, obtaining proper pre-approval if required.
Other Job Duties
- Interacts with Credit Administration, Appraisals, Legal, and other related Bank personnel regarding issues of credit quality, appropriate compensation for risk, as well as new business and related trends.
- Views credit quality as a personal obligation; exhibits independent judgment; ensures balanced loan presentations; responsible for on-going account monitoring; proactive in problem detection/resolution; maintains balance between growth and credit quality.
- May act as a specialist for the Bank in specific industry. Keeps current on all economic and other issues impacting industry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Food Processing & Agribusiness Industry experience in Credit is preferred.
- Requires mastery level knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have deep knowledge of project management.
- Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Finance
- General Administrative/Technical Skills Excellent knowledge of commercial lending policies, procedures, practices and documentation.
- Excellent knowledge and ability to analyze financial statements, tax returns and cash flow.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel). Excellent working knowledge of other software used for analysis such as MFA and Tax Analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to perform independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Good organizational skills.
- National Banking Division Generally targets companies with sales of $25 million or higher.
The Salary Range is $100,000 to $215,000. Actual compensation offer to candidate may vary from posted hiring range based upon geographic location, work experience, education, and/or skill level. The pay ratio between base pay and target incentive (if applicable) will be finalized at offer.
This position has the option to work in one of our key hubs (San Ramon, CA, San Francisco, CA, Tempe, AZ, Omaha, NE) or to work remotely as long as it is in within our 27 state working footprint which includes AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, IA, IL, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WI, WY, NY.
“To protect the health and safety of our employees and customers, Bank of the West requires all U.S. employees to provide proof of their vaccination status. Employees who are not fully vaccinated must undergo regular testing beginning May, 2022.”
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.