To provide commercial legal and regulatory policy advice and procedures to BNP Paribas Personal Finance UK (PF UK) businesses on all relevant legislation, regulations and regulatory policy. A large element of the work will focus on the Financial Services & Markets Act 2000 (FSMA), the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the Consumer Credit Sourcebook (CONC) and all UK regulations relating to the provision of credit in the UK. The department is also responsible for providing legal and regulatory advice on Data Protection law and all regulations relating to Data Protection.
Commercial legal and regulatory policy advice and procedures will also need to be provided in respect of the Irish / EU equivalent of the above as PF UK also provides finance in Ireland.
- Advise on and draft consumer credit documentation under the above laws & regulations, and approve and sign-off all application forms, consumer credit documentation (including websites etc) and consumer credit adverts prior to publication.
- Negotiate contracts (in conjunction with PF UK departments) with retail partners and suppliers advising on and influencing proposed amendments by the other party with final validation that all corporate contractual requirements have been achieved, before approving for sign-off by PF UK.
- Instructing and liaising with external litigation solicitors and internal business areas to ensure any litigation activity is managed through to conclusion.
- Interpret the law, regulatory rules & guidance as it applies to the PF UK and provide advice on developing and maintaining appropriate procedures and processes to protect the PF UK business.
- Create, define document and maintain legal & regulatory policies that will enable the PF UK business to comply with all relevant legislation and regulatory rules and guidance.
- Monitor changes in the UK / Irish legal and regulatory sector and write formal legal advice and guidance to ensure the business adapts to reflect the changing environment.
- Ensure that all legal & regulatory requirements are incorporated into business operations policy and procedures.
- Liaise with such regulatory and trade bodies as agreed with the Director of Legal & Regulatory Affairs
- Define how the legal and regulatory policies implemented in the UK satisfy the requirements placed on BNP Paribas PF.
- Instruct external legal advisers when additional advice / guidance is required by the department.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations that apply to the PF UK business with the ability to communicate effectively to ensure PF UK is capable of complying with those laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of the consumer credit or motor finance market (or other regulated financial sector market) including the brokers, products & services so that advice to the PF UK business is market focused.
- Make clear and timely decisions based on judgement after considering all facts, risks, constraints and available options. This includes anticipating and understanding the consequences of the decisions and taking responsibility for the implications of the action taken.
- Persuade, influence, convince and engage others to take action or support an issue / objective, while taking into account the goals of the company.
- Communicate (written and orally) clearly, articulately and succinctly, expressing messages effectively with the appropriate language and wording to suit the circumstances.
- Maintain performance and sound judgement under pressure and / or opposition (e.g. time pressure) reacting calmly and confidently in difficult situations, coping with competing demands and unforeseen setbacks.
- Facilitate, manage and implement organisational / cultural changes and business transformation, understanding the transformation impact and developing tools to support the change.
- Identify all aspects of a subject (patterns across situations not obviously related), examine it objectively, offer a balanced point of view and deliver a formal opinion.
- Establish, maintain and develop relationships and business networks (internally & externally) to quickly identify those to contact to seek help or support when needed.