At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for acquiring new mass small business relationships and proactively managing, developing, and retaining a portfolio of high potential business banking relationships with annual revenues up to $1 Million. Assists assigned retail branches with achieving mass small business goals and partners with retail team members to coach and train on acquisition strategies, retention tactics, and customer inquiries related to mass small business. Independently interprets and provides recommendations and solutions unique to each client's specific banking needs.
Essential Job Functions
- Focuses on acquisition of new small business customers and retention and deepening of existing relationships from a dedicated portfolio of business clients.
- Acquires new mass small business relationships through prospecting, outside calling, networking, and referrals. Makes a substantial number of outside, in-person calls on prospects and portfolio clients through designated retail branch assignments in a specific geography area.
- Serves as primary contact for a portfolio of business banking clients up to $1 million in annual revenue. Proactively contacts portfolio clients and generates new business to the Bank. Focuses on client retention and growth by providing consultative advice and solutions to enhance and expand the client's entire banking relationship including deposits, loans, cash management, wealth management, equipment leasing, merchant services, and trade finance.
- Assists assigned retail branches with achieving mass small business goals and partners with retail team members to coach and train on acquisition strategies and retention tactics related to mass small business.
- Assists branch team members with sales or service transactions related to business clients under $1mm in annual revenue. Refers larger clients to appropriate business banking channels when needed.
- Attains an understanding of business operating cycles and of client's objectives and strategies.
- Understands client's business practices and interprets the operational risk to the bank. Reviews client's accounts and is responsible for approving operational risks associated with the relationship; including NSF/OD's, fees and transaction items.
- Demonstrates independent decision making skills by recognizing and understanding client problems and needs and responding appropriately. Gathers information and sorts through issues in order to make timely decisions.
Other Job Duties
- Obtains financial statements, tax return and any additional documentation required to establish new accounts, complete new or renewal credit requests, or complete a service request.
- Stays aware of developing industry and market trends and actively researches and participates in the industries that make up the assigned portfolio.
- Maintains assigned annual and quarterly goals for revenue growth, new business development, customer service and portfolio maintenance.
- Ensures job duties are performed within established bank controls, risk and audit protocols.
- Participates in community and business functions/groups to ensure a positive image for the bank. Ensures compliance with bank CRA programs.
- Manages all communications with customers related to credit and non-credit issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- P3 - 5 yrs "Requires advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience. May have practical knowledge of project management.
- Requires 5 years minimum prior relevant experience
- Comfort and familiarity with commercial lending principles.
- Understanding of bank policy and procedures.
- General knowledge of small companies.
- Understanding and knowledge of bank products and services.
- Analytical, credit, and negotiating skills.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- PC skills including knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics, Capital Stream, Touchpoint, and other bank systems as well as MS Office Suite.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.