Senior legal counsel Legal Corporate coverage & specialised finance – m/f/x
Want to help shape the bank of tomorrow today?
The Legal Department of BNP Paribas Fortis is made up of approximately 80 people. We are looking for a lawyer to support the specialised financing activities.
Your future job
The senior legal counsel (“the lawyer”) is part of the team Legal Corporate coverage & specialized finance, consisting of 9 lawyers who provide legal advice and perform transactional work (including corporate restructuring) for the following BNP Paribas Fortis and BNP Paribas group financing activities: Global Trade Solutions (guarantees, documentary credits), including support of the global Trade Finance Competence Centre, credits to the Corporate Coverage Belgium business (Corporate, Public Institutions, Financial Institutions, Real Estate Finance and Ports Practice), and (syndicated) credits to customers in EMEA (Brussels based CIB Global Banking platform).
The lawyer is also member of the Financing Platform of Legal BNPP Group, an organization within Legal consisting of legal professionals who provide legal support to business lines in the BNP Paribas Group with regard to commercial lending and trade finance.
The position offers a unique mix of transactional and advisory work, within a highly dynamic context.
- For the transactional work the lawyer is involved in all stages of credit files, from structuring a transaction to signing the credit documentation. During the term of the loans, the lawyer will advise the relevant business and operational services on all legal aspects (e.g. amendments to the documentation, security, refinancing, etc.). The lawyer will also assist and advise the services dealing with restructuring and bankruptcy (whether or not in an international context).
- As a member of the team, the lawyer will also advise the business GTS and Bank guarantees. This relates to the preparation / review of bank guarantee texts, the preparation / review of process notes, the follow-up of disputes, the follow-up of projects, providing advice to the Trade Finance Group Competence Center, etc.
- The lawyer is responsible for assessing the legal and reputational risks for the bank and for drawing up and following the relevant legal guidelines and documentation for the activities of the business. The lawyer has daily contact with the various businesses and regular contact with external customers and / or external advisers.
- The lawyer will contribute to the implementation of the strategic development plan of Legal BNPPF and the Financing Platform.
Highlight your strengths
- The lawyer has sufficient autonomy but is also a team player who shares knowledge and works together with colleagues in corporate lending working within Legal Belgium and Legal Group.
- The lawyer has obtained a Masters of Laws, and has a very good knowledge of Belgian law. Additional training or specialization in banking and financial law is a plus. The lawyer has at least 3 to 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- The lawyer has a very good knowledge, both active and passive, of English as well as of either Dutch or French and a good knowledge of the other language.
- The lawyer is able to handle files independently.
- The lawyer has strong legal analytical skills.
- The lawyer has the skills to work smoothly in a team and to approach the files in a pragmatic but legally correct manner.
- The lawyer actively and systematically shares information and accumulates know-how with colleagues within Legal.
- The lawyer demonstrates common sense and can empathize with the needs of internal clients.
- The lawyer pays attention to legal risks.
- The lawyer is flexible and reacts quickly.
- The lawyer is communicative and has negotiating skills and persuasiveness.
Your future workplace
In a changing world, diversity and inclusion are core values for team well-being and performance. At BNP Paribas Fortis, we want to welcome and retain all talents, regardless of gender, age, origin or sexual orientation, and irrespective of whether or not they are living with a disability, as each of them have their own experience and identity. Together, let's build the bank of tomorrow: innovative, responsible and sustainable. All of our full-time vacancies are also open to candidates wishing to work 80% or 90%.
By choosing us, you get
- a position in a Bank that has been certified as “Top Employer” by the Top Employers Institute during the last 8 years.
- a function working closely in cooperation with the Business, in a challenging and diversified working environment offering responsibilities.
- the possibility to enhance your legal knowledge and skills through various training opportunities.
- competitive wages in line with your profile and experience and a broad range of extra-legal advantages.
Choose BNP Paribas Fortis now and apply here.
We will make our first selections on the basis of your CV and letter of motivation. Are you the candidate we’re looking for? Then you’re sure to hear from us. Good luck!