The bank for a changing world. With strong roots anchored in Europe’s banking history, BNP Paribas supports its clients and employees in today’s changing world and has positioned itself as a leading bank in the Eurozone and a prominent international banking institution.
BNP Paribas has been recognized as the 2019 World’s Best Bank for Corporate Responsibility by Euromoney magazine. This reflects our commitment to financing the economy in an ethical manner, developing and engaging our people, being an agent for positive impact on society and for combating climate change. BNP Paribas contributes to the real economy by providing solutions to a wide range of clients: individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps them realise their personal and professional projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and insurance.
BNPP has a significant presence in the UK with a 150-year history. Whilst recognised as a leading European bank, BNP Paribas in fact operates in 72 worldwide countries with around 200,000 employees. With such a diverse set of banking coverage (ranging from asset management insurance, retail banking, personal finance, vehicle leasing to investment banking) the career opportunities within BNPP are vast, international and attract a diverse staff base.
Business Area / Department Overview
The RISK department aims at being a partner of the businesses by contributing to their sustainable development, but also a gatekeeper to ensure risks taken remain compatible with the Group’s Risk Appetite and its strategy. RISK teams engage in an upstream dialogue with the business to better understand their strategy, objectives, deal and then RISK expresses its opinion and recommendations. The RISK function is independent, reporting directly to the CEO and Group Board.
Our risk management function (“RISK”) is recognised in the industry as being first tier.
Our main missions are to:
- Advise the Bank on risk appetite definition; credit risk, counterparty risk, market risk, liquidity risk, operational risk, cyber risk and other potential risks.
- Contribute as an objective “second pair of eyes” that risks taken on by the Bank align with its policies through analysis, valuation and documentation.
- Report and alert bank management of the status of risks to which the bank is exposed.
RISK is a good place to work because of the breadth of opportunities. With over 5000 employees worldwide and reflecting the overall BNPP group culture, RISK benefits from and encourages a diverse staff base with many different nationalities, cultures, levels of experience and academic backgrounds.
Our staff well-being is an integral part of the “people care” values within our group and this is reflected in our award-winning flexible benefits package, flexible working environment and support for people’s health and well-being (https://www.standardlifepensions.com/wellbeing//health-and-wellbeing/mental-health.page). The culture fosters career longevity and internal mobility, while equally supporting new graduates and talents. Due to the varied mix of experience, fresh talents benefit from learning from long standing staff who are always happy to share and teach their extensive experience and wide breadth of knowledge.
Highly comprehensive internal training courses and programmes targeted at developing talents at all levels complement the training on the job.
RISK employees also connect through strong employee networks (Multicultural, LGBT, Gender Balance, Disability, Diversity and Inclusion, Early Career, Parents and Carers), social committees, sports and mentorships.
To find out more about why you should join BNP Paribas please visit our website or try some of the links below:
Purpose & Scope of Role
- Purpose: Senior Funds Credit Analyst who could cover the most complex Hedge Funds, Funds of Hedge Funds and Financial Sponsors followed by the team as well as train/mentor the junior/new analysts of the UK & Lisbon teams.
- Scope: Financial Institutions (mostly hedge funds, funds of hedge funds and financial sponsor funds, and to a lesser extent regulated funds, agency arrangements, asset managers, funds)
Key Responsibilities of Role
- The credit analyst is responsible for completing credit analysis on a portfolio of Financial Institutions to facilitate informed credit decisions.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the groups under his/her responsibility and develop market intelligence by investigating all available sources of credit and financial information.
- Monitor permanently the portfolio under his/her responsibility to detect any credit issue requiring a specific review.
- Conduct Annual and interim reviews. Produce in due time and present in Credit Committee a factual summary of client’s credit worthiness (credit proposal), compliant with the Bank’s guidelines. The credit proposal includes a recommendation on the ratings, the limits, the legal credit terms and the risk strategy vis-a-vis the client.
- Day-to-day transaction approvals, quantifying risk for trade requests received from Front Office across the bank.
- Prepare initial credit questionnaire for ISDA/CSA and other legal documents, and negotiation of credit-related terms in the legal docs.
- Work in close collaboration with the Lisbon Credit Support Analysts, including providing the required trainings.
- Develop a good knowledge of the banking environment: capital market products, legal documentations, accounting and regulatory environments.
- Perform due diligences.
- Perform portfolio reviews when required.
- Keep abreast of the changing methodologies and credit policies
Interactions with the Binome (clients under coverage)
- Interacts in full transparency with the Binome (SCO & FIC Relationship Manager).
- Attend when necessary discussions forum under the leadership of the Binome.
- Prepare credit proposal in the light of FIC commercial strategy, coverage memo, and of any material information (transaction or risks) provided by the RM Pilot or the Binome.
- Contribute together with the Binome to the identification of the credit points that need to be discussed with the client (during Due Diligence for example).
- Guarantee rigorous and synthetic credit risk analysis and recommendation (Annual review, ad hoc, credit notes, comparative analysis)
- Guarantee the application of Bank’s procedures and policies and the consistency of Bank’s ratings
- Guarantee the quality of the process and the timely delivery of the team’s output, notably Annual reviews in line with validated calendar.
- Contribute to the formalisation of the credit decisions in the credit workflow tool
- Contribute to the risk strategy definition by providing recommendation on the risk profile of the counterparty and on specific transactions in relationship with the appropriate stakeholders
- Contribute to the Bank’s reactivity vis-à-vis clients’ expectations by prioritizing urgent requests under his/her responsibility with his/her manager
- Contribute to the quality of process : use adequately the credit process’ flow and workflow system, maintain critical client data, interact efficiently ahead of credit committee with the various stakeholders of the credit process
- Contribute to the development of policies, reports and risk tools, and to the Credit Process optimization
- Contribute to sharing best practices among various teams.
- Contribute to Credit Process optimization.
Interactions with Business Lines (uncovered clients)
- Discuss the requests of Credit limits with the Business Lines
- Provide credit analysis and recommendation in the frame of AR or ad hoc Credit Committee on clients followed by Business Lines
- Work with Business Lines to mitigate risk related to the counterparties
- Ask for Due diligence ‘s meeting or credit review
Experience, Qualifications & Competencies
Education: Master’s Degree/MSc/Master 2 from Business School or University, or relevant industry experience in Finance, Economics, Risk Management, Financial Markets or other relevant areas
Strong background in the finance industry, including several years as credit analyst
Languages: English (fluent)
- Strong and proven analytical skills (proficient)
- Adaptability and proactivity, multitasking
- Strong presentation and communication skills (verbal and written) (expert)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) (proficient)
- Solid knowledge and understanding of banking and financial markets (proficient)
- Understanding of Corporate Banking and Capital Markets products (proficient)
- Self-driven and organized (expert)
- Rigorous and reliable
Languages: Additional Language would be welcomed [French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Chinese…]
- Advanced knowledge of Legal documentations credit terms (ISDA, CSA…)
- Understanding of funds financing business (legal documentation, credit mitigant…)