BNP Paribas Asset Management is the asset management arm of BNP Paribas, one of the world’s foremost financial institutions, and offers high value-added solutions to individual savers, companies, and institutional investors. It has a broad range of skills in four investment divisions: Equities, Fixed Income, Private Debt & Real Assets, and Multi-Asset, Quantitative and Solutions (MAQS). Sustainability is at the heart of BNP Paribas Asset Management’s strategy and investment decision-making process, making an active contribution to energy transition, environmental protection and the promotion of equal opportunity and inclusive growth. Its aim is to achieve long-term sustainable investment returns for its clients. BNP Paribas Asset Management has assets under management of $500 billion (as of June 30, 2022), with more than 500 investment professionals and almost 500 client servicing specialists, serving individual, corporate and institutional clients in 67 countries.
We have an excellent career opportunity for a Compliance Officer in our New York office. As a member of the Compliance team, the Compliance Officer will be responsible for various compliance matters. This role requires participation in maintaining, updating, developing and testing firm-wide compliance policies and programs; active participation in firm-wide internal control risk assessments; managing compliance projects and assisting with client & affiliate reporting requirements, both locally and globally.
- Provide periodic compliance/regulatory advice to the business.
- Identify compliance risks within BNPP AM USA and ensure such risks are effectively mitigated with appropriate controls, including testing and reporting results.
- Draft quarterly and monthly compliance reports to clients.
- Manage Series 3 registrations/terminations and continuing education requirements.
- Liaise with US Territory and Central Asset Management teams for Market Integrity and Professional Ethics related matters.
- Coordinate, prepare and participated in client due dilligence reviews.
- Respond to couterparty requests (KYC documentation, FINRA forms, client AUM).
- Assist with preparing and presenting compliance related training to employees.
- Review marketing materials and prospectuses.
- Support Compliance's participation of internal and external audits.
- Draft risks/controls language as they relate to the Investment Advisers Act Policies & Procedures/Code of Ethics for testing by auditors. Provide proof of compliance with the written risks/controls.
- Assist in periodic regulatory reporting to the Securities Exchange Commission, Commodities Futures Trading Commission, National Futures Association and foreign regulators.
- Conduct Code of Ethics and Compliance Polices & Procedures training to new employees.
- Prepare intra-Group reports on the status of internal control plans and the effectiveness of these controls.
- Participate in compliance monitoring and testing of compliance policies, procedures and processes.
Role requirements: qualifications and experience
- Working knowledge of Investment advisory environment and its associated risks and internal controls.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience required.
- Strong familiarity with internal controls, compliance testing and risk assessments; ideally from an investment adviser perspective.
- An advanced Degree in Finance or a Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) would be a plus.
- Strong computer skills; with advanced skills in Excel.
- Previous experience with derivatives, bonds, clearing & settlements would also be a plus.
- Proficiency in French a plus, but not required.
Essential skills / competencies: (Technical/behavorial/ leadership)
- Analytical skills: Identifies all aspects of a subject and examines them in a critical way to construct a broad point of view. Individual is driven by the desire to know more about things, peoples or events.
- Accuracy: Constantly attentive to the precision and thoroughness of the information sent and to the quality of the work; ensures that errors are minimized.
- Results-Driven: Seeks to achieve the objectives set within the defined timeframe, by acting with tenacity, and by balancing costs and benefits. Continuously seeks optimum performance.
- Negotiation Skills: Obtains best possible results when conflicting interests are at play, leading to a constructive dialogue.
- Taking Initiative: Works proactively and independently, implementing work processes, ideas and solutions, including in situations where information is missing or wholly unusual.
- Communication skills: Expresses his / her messages, both orally and in writing, in an effective, organized way, which is appropriate to the audience being addressed.
- Teamwork: Knows how to work in a team and / or across teams, acts bearing common interests and respect for fellow team members in mind.
- Integrity: Acts ethically, in compliance with what is said and while respecting the company’s values and rules.
Physical presence in BNPP AM’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP AM requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion. This is a hybrid role.
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.