About the job
- The Principal Desk’s mission is to build a business that is profitable, sustainable and referenced by clients; and share in the success it brings. Four main priority exist
- Be known for service excellence
- Serve the right clients
- Increase operational efficiency
- Engage and develop
- Securities Lending is an investment strategy whereby investors make short term loans of their securities to generate incremental revenues from their portfolios
- Principal securities lending offers institutional investors the opportunity to generate returns through the provision of a guaranteed return on their investment portfolio
- The Principal desk exists to provide securities lending services to our clients, which is considered as a value added product to accompany global custody, fund administration and middle office outsourcing
- Principal securities lending encompasses the provision of fail coverage services to local custody clients and opportunity lending to investment banks, broker dealers and other custodial clients of the bank
- The London desk forms part of a global principal securities lending offer
- London desk: Equities
- Paris desk: Short Term Interest Rates (STIR)
- Hong Kong desk: Both Equities and Short Term Interest Rates (STIR)
Your Main Activities Are
- Administrative responsibilities for the securities lending desk in London and/or Paris. Working alongside a small trading team to assist with daily processes
- Booking and management of returns
- Implement recalls as a result of client sales
- Review and follow up of failing trades with Settlement teams
- Be the liaison between trading and operations. Provide operations, corporate actions, income, static, reconciliation and billing teams with relevant information to facilitate their daily tasks
- Check corporate action and income reporting on a daily basis
- Assist with returning securities prior to periodic exclusive client recalls, record dates and AGMs
- Provide support for Hong Kong desk, post APAC market close
- Checking counterparty risk exposures/ Monitor triparty collateral positions
- Review of end of day short positions
- Desk reporting: team dashboards, cash position reports and share them with traders
- Enhance control procedures where applicable, including publishing regular updates of procedures
- Ensure booking and rebooking of trades that are not sent to the market to adhere to SFTR guidelines and matching
- Respond to client queries in a timely manner
- Provide feedback to enhance system and operational processes with respective stakeholders
- Anticipate, follow up and give priority to highly sensitive trades in coordination with operational teams (recalls, fail coverage, large trades, among others)
Profile and Skills to Success
- Master’s degree (MA, MSc, etc.) from a University/Engineering/Business school with a major in financial markets
- Experience level: 0-2 years: A first experience in finance or trading room would be a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Needs to be an effective communicator. Must be able to speak with conviction to traders at counterparties regardless of their seniority
- Technical, accuracy and numerical skills
- Ability to work under pressure in a small enclosed team environment
- Strong organization skills, get used to perform several tasks at the same time
- Self-starter, self-managed, with an ability to create and develop ideas
- Attention to detail
- Python, VBA and +SQL
- Proficiency in English
Why joining BNP Paribas?
· Leading banking institution
BNP Paribas is a leader in the Eurozone, and a prominent international banking institution with strong roots in Europe's banking history. It has a presence in 65 countries, with around 190 000 Employees – including more than 145 000 in Europe.
· Our presence in Portugal
Since 1985, BNP Paribas was one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, the Group has around 7.100 employees across several entities operating directly in the territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
· International reach
Thanks to its international presence and regular and close collaboration among its different entities, BNP Paribas has the resources to support all clients with financing, investment, savings and protection solutions that help make their projects a success. BNP Paribas holds key positions in its three core operating divisions:
- Retail Banking, a division that brings together all of the Group’s retail activities and specialised business lines;
- Investment & Protection Services that include specialised businesses offering a wide range of savings, investment and protection services;
- Corporate & Institutional Banking division that offers tailored financial solutions for corporate and institutional clients.
· Diversity and Inclusion commitment
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity/paternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency, which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
· Commitment towards work/life balance
At BNP Paribas we care about our employees wellbeing and promote a culture of good integration between work and rest. We believe our employees have rich personal lives outside of work, being fundamental to be disconnected from work to recharge both physically and mentally. Only through this balance we may all be at our best while working.
· Remote Working Conditions
At BNP Paribas, we embrace a Smart Working framework based on trust, autonomy and collaboration. Within this framework, eligible employees can benefit from flexible remote working modalities adapted to our hybrid working environment. To guarantee a comfortable and efficient working set-up, eligible employees are provided with both the office and home equipment, are entitled to an equipment allowance and can benefit from exclusive partnerships to purchase additional equipment at reduced prices.
To find out more on why you should join BNP Paribas visit https://bnpp.lk/why-BNP-Paribas-Portugal
* Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
* In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.