About BNP Paribas:
BNP Paribas (www.bnpparibas.com) has a presence in 75 countries with more than 180,000 employees, including 140,000 in Europe. It ranks highly in its three core activities: Retail Banking, Investment Solutions and Corporate & Investment Banking. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail banking model across Mediterranean basin countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Investment Banking and Investment Solutions activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas and solid and fast-growing businesses in Asia-Pacific.
CIB PM Americas (PMA) - Business Overview:
Portfolio Management (PM) is a part of the Corporate and Institutional Banking activity (“CIB”). This is a transversal department with dedicated teams across the different regions.
The main mission of PM is to contribute to risk return optimization at Origination, to actively manage the financing loan books and to contribute to capital optimization. The team is responsible for monitoring the process at Origination, with Coverage, on financing transactions with a focus on consumption of resources such as capital, liquidity, balance sheet and risk-return. The team is also in charge of initiating and implementing solutions to mitigate RWA or liquidity consumption.
PM Americas (“PMA”) is a transversal department within the Corporate Platform, with a regional management scope that includes the United States, Canada and Latin America. PMA is currently composed of 3 teams with all staff located in NY and Montreal: Origination and Active Management, Credit Solutions & Products Engineering and Portfolio Analytics & Modelling (“PAM”).
PMA aims at ensuring a fair and optimal allocation of key financial resources in order to contribute to CIB value creation objective by:
- Maintaining discipline at Origination by contributing to risk-return and RWA management, liquidity cost, exposure analysis and CDS/Insurance market intelligence at the Resource Allocation Committee (“RAC”), in coordination with Coverage and Business Lines
- Back testing of clients profitability in liaison with Coverage, and concentration analysis
- Managing the loan books of the Corporate Platform from a risk, capital, liquidity and return perspective through execution of Active Management actions (Loan Sales, hedging with CDS and Credit Insurance, Balance Sheet Securitization)
- Management of the credit derivatives and CLO investment portfolio
- Create and maintain an expertise center by providing tools (RAROC Tool and Portfolio Analytics) and guidance, for methodologies in credit risk-return and value creation (RAROC, CVC, EVC) for CIB
- Actively monitor the Corporate Loan Book (including budgeting, forecasting and monitoring of RWA, Exposure and P&L)
- Provide Senior Management including Head of CIB Americas with quarterly review of the key resources consumption across the Corporate Platform through the Strategic Resource Committee. Additionally, perform analysis and monitoring of the portfolio profitability from a risk return and value creation standpoint at client level on an ex-ante, prospective and ex-post basis
PMA has main interactions with Coverage, Global Credit Markets (“GCM”), ALM, PM Middle Office, Finance, Credit Insurance Distribution (“CID”), Legal, Compliance, Loan Trading and Global Markets.
Within PMA, position reports to the Head Origination & Active Management
1 position: Associate
Review and enhance CIB value creation (transaction / client profitability) from a neutral advisory role at Origination, and Active Management of the lending books.
Role at Origination (70-80%)
- Responsible for processing capital commitment requests submitted to the RAC, including taking minutes, saving necessary documents in RAC Tool
- Review and analyze value creation of proposed lending transactions and overall client profitability to support the decision making process for RAC members
- Monitor and ensure consistency of the process at Origination
- Maintain and update trends at Origination as well as those of the overall loan market
- Participate in back testing of client profitability in liaison with PAM and relevant regional teams including Coverage
- Contribute to periodic updates, including profitability and pricing impact of evolving regulatory reforms, to Head of Region, Coverage and Business Lines
- Provide to CIB (Regions, Coverage and Business Lines) the relevant methodology, metrics and guidelines to steer the business at origination in terms of value creation (RAROC, CVC) and RWA, liquidity and balance sheet usage
- On behalf of Corporate Platform, bring and share expertise regarding the value creation and cost of equity determination in coordination with CIB Finance
- Support senior team members
- Support improvement and enhancement of RAC Tool in collaboration with IT
Active Management Role (20-30%)
Based on a knowledge of the portfolio and the underlying credit assets (term loans, revolvers, letter of credits, etc.), assess potential Active Management actions, for capital or risk management purposes, through close interaction with Coverage and Business Lines (specifically, GCM)
- Actively monitor and analyze the capital consumption and credit risk evolution of the Corporate Platform Loan assets focusing on activities and industry trends as well as single name capital/credit risk evolution.
- Make active management proposals.
- Develop and maintain contact with coverage analyst pool and Financing Solutions Origination team as crucial source of information and feed-back.
- Keep abreast of economic, sector and market evolution affecting the loan portfolio as well as business/regulatory trends affecting the capital consumption of the Corporate Platform.
- Provide recommendation to manage back-tested names, migration and concentration risks in the portfolio using publicly available information and internal resources.
- Propose enhancement of risk-return of a transaction by providing secondary market alternatives (such as loan sales, CDS hedging and credit insurance, and bespoke solutions in liaison with Credit Solutions & Products Engineering team) to Coverage and Business lines
- If needed, execution of approved Active Management actions and risk mitigation / exposure management actions as required by Risk
- Perform necessary due diligence with Coverage and related Business lines owning the assets
- Ensure satisfactory completion of all due diligence (legal, compliance) and obtaining necessary approvals
- Make recommendations on investments actions with a view to optimize the risk return for CIB
Provide ad hoc training to Coverage / Business lines on PM role at Origination, Capital and Liquidity topics as well as PM Active Management solutions
- Bachelor’s in Finance or Accounting; prefer MBA/MS
- 3-5 years of experience working in a large international bank or financial services firm
- Knowledge of financial statement analysis
- Familiarity with Portfolio Management and general banking practices
- Knowledge of credit risk RWA calculations and modelling
- Knowledge of Basel, Dodd-Frank, Volcker and other regulatory issues affecting banks
- Some experience in credit products including loans, CDS, credit insurance and securitization
- Experience in using Bloomberg Terminal
- Modelling skills and VBA programming are a plus
CFA is a plus