BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
Business Area/Dept Overview
The Hub UK is a geographical Hub, covering all activities in the UK and Channel Islands.
The Hub has several audit teams (around 70 auditors) based in the UK. These teams are split by business activity covering all activities within their area of responsibility, except for IT and OFAC $ Clearing covered by dedicated teams. Each team is headed by a Deputy Head of Hub reporting to the Head of Hub who, in turn, reports to a Deputy Head of IG Head Office.
The Hub’s remit is to provide audit services to the Businesses, Operations and Functions in the UK and Channel Islands in close liaison with Senior Management and Head Office entities. The main focus is to help the organisation accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the governance, risk management, and internal control processes.
The Audit Hub provides employees with an excellent grounding in all aspects of the business, and regular interaction with Management enables strong relationships to be built, allowing a robust understanding in all aspects of the businesses.
Having performed successfully in this role, the individual will have the benefit of a broad range of career opportunities within the Group - both within Internal Audit and wider business lines/functions; in the UK and abroad. A comprehensive training programme is in place to ensure continued professional development.
Purpose & Scope of role
As a member of the Hub’s Compliance & Financial Security Audit team (approximately 9 auditors), the Principal Auditor is responsible for performing risk-based audit reviews as part of a team, focusing on regulatory, markets conduct, compliance and financial security risks, and for recommending solutions to identified issues and weaknesses. The Principal Auditor will complement the existing skillset within the audit team by means of contributing knowledge (including but not restricted to knowledge of relevant regulations, activities and products) grounded in practical business experience.
The team contributes to the coverage of the Hub’s audit scope and specialises in the following areas: (i) compliance, markets conduct and regulatory topics relevant to CIB (UK and France); and (ii) financial security topics across all of the Group’s UK entities as well as certain Paris-based CIB entities. For that purpose, the team also operates in close cooperation with the Hub’s other teams as well as with the Hub Paris CIB, Ireland, Middle East & Africa.
Key Responsibilities of role
Specific responsibilities associated with this role include:
1. Participation in audit assignments as a member of an audit team with responsibilities to include:
- Ensuring the timely and satisfactory performance of his or her parts of the assignment, whilst having regard to the main risks detailed in the Risk and Related Control Matrix.
- Ensuring that the Head of Assignment is kept updated with the progress of the assignment on a continuous basis.
- Preparation of summaries and conclusions to the phases of the assignment under his or her responsibility for review and approval by the Head of Assignment and lead the presentation of these to the relevant auditees.
- Input of all missions and associated documentation to the required Hub and IG standard into the Hub audit drive and UNIK.
2. Using their specialist sector knowledge if relevant to ensure that an activity’s risk, control and governance processes are subject to review and testing. For example:
- Inputting into the design of the audit programme so that it captures key risks associated with the area being audited.
- Leveraging their expertise to make insightful comments to the Audit Manager and the Head of Assignment on the key areas of audit focus.
- Sharing their sector knowledge with members of the audit team to enable the dissemination of good practice.
- Leading on their area of expertise within the team by regularly reviewing relevant market data, sector and regulatory updates and ensuring that this is shared where appropriate with other team members and the Deputy Head of Hub. This can be completed, for example through the distribution of training material or through dedicated training sessions.
3. To assist the Deputy Head of Hub in performing other audit related tasks such as the annual risk assessment, requests for audit recommendation closure etc.
4. Perform or participate in ad-hoc projects and investigations including Quality Assurance Reviews, Regulatory assignments and follow up of IG missions; non-lead role in detailed investigation of incidents (Special Assignment status).
5. Contribute to the maintenance and development of the Internal Audit department, in particular the tools and techniques used.
Experience, Qualifications & Competencies
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team;
- Good drive: motivated and proactive;
- Thorough and organised with an ability to prioritise and work under time-pressure;
- Strong analytical skills: including ability to understand quickly the critical steps in a process, synthesise and process complex information and identify and understand the related risks of various natures, including use of data;
- Good control mindset;
- Strong communication skills: ability to listen, clear verbal and written communication;
- Strong English language skills, with French proficiency being a plus;
- Strong and evidenced interest in regulation/compliance;
- Willingness to travel (mainly UK and Paris).
- Compliance skillset gained within regulatory / compliance / legal / audit functions within financial services and markets activities and evidenced knowledge of UK, French and EU regulations related to 1 or more of the business lines this role supports.
- Knowledge of markets activity gained within a role which interacts with the front office;
- Past experience from an internal audit or consultancy background covering e.g. quality assurance, project management, risk management or specifically operational risk is an advantage.
- Academic background in Finance / Banking and/or
- Legal background and/or
- IIA certification or CISI diploma in investment compliance and/or
- Professional accountancy qualification