In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
Business Area / Department Overview
This role is within RISK Global Markets – Analysis –Market Risk GBL APAC team. This team is covering market risk generated by the Global Markets Business Lines
Its main responsibilities are:
Business line leadership
Centre of expertise and point of contact for the business line, able to provide a holistic view of risks and activities, escalating issues as appropriate. Understanding the application of processes under the responsibility of other RISK GM teams to the business line
Risk anticipation and detection
Anticipation, detection, monitoring, analysis, and opinion on all market and issuer risks:
- Early identification and in-depth review of hidden risks and potential threats, concluding with a clear view and recommendation for risk mitigating actions.
- Escalation to RISK and GM management.
Risk control framework
Design and continuous improvement of the market risk control framework including risk analysis tools, limits and stress testing. Holistic vision on valuation and capital metrics, escalating issues or concerns in these areas.
Purpose and Scope of Role
Purpose: Market Risk analysts are in charge of the day-to-day monitoring, analysis and detection of the market risks
Scope: Credit Trading GBL (primary focus), Other GBLs (secondary) for the APAC region
Market Risk analyst within the GBL Market Risk Team with a contribution to transversal topics and projects and a focus on Credit products:
Risk Analysis, Limits and Reporting: Identify, analyze and monitor market and liquidity risks on the perimeter.
- Measure and Monitor these risks, including development of monitoring tools, and reporting to the Business and Senior Management.
- Pro-actively assess positions, analyze large P/L events and identify/quantify new risks.
- Participate in developing tools for the limit framework/monitoring. Assist in the definition, review and implementation of limits and ensure they are well monitored and reported in systems.
- Build a solid understanding of main business risks. Create tools to help develop intuition for what are the main risks and their drivers, as well as how to address them.
- Develop and maintain a continuous and sound dialogue with the business line as well as with other RISK GM teams
New Trades/Activity approval:
- Participate in the definition and assessment of the risk management framework for new trades, products and activities through contribution and/or attendance to decision-making process, in particular ETs, TACs, NACs. Such responsibility may require interaction with other teams within and outside RISK GM.
- Develop, compute and analyze market stress-test scenarios.
- Contribute to the improvement of the existing stress-testing framework.
Ensure compliance with relevant regulations in the risk area
Contribution and coordination on global projects with the central teams in London, as well as on production and valuation (Model, reserves, PVA) related topics with the corresponding transversal team in APAC.
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
- 3Y+ of experience in market risk and good understanding of counterparty and liquidity risks.
- Experience in Equity or Credit markets is a plus
- Solid computational skills required (R/Python, Excel, Access, VBA)
- The candidate should have a solid quantitative background with ideally a previous experience in a quantitative environment through a technical role (e.g. through market risk, counterparty risk).
- Excellent knowledge of derivatives, ideally across multiple asset classes.
- Ability to react quickly but precisely in high pressure trading situations with Front Office interactions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) to further build the business / risk relationship and to clearly and concisely report the risk in a jargon-free way.
- The candidate should be fluent spoken and written in English